W

Contributor

• 

107 Messages

Sunday, April 21st, 2024 3:16 PM

Xi6 box question/issue (DVR related)

I recently bought a new 4k TV (LG G4 77") and with it , I obtained a 4k box from Xfinity.

As this TV supports Dolby Vision and the Xi6 box is the only one in Xfinity's lineup that supports it, I have a Xi6 box connected to it - directly to it, no receiver or anything in between, and using the highest grade certifies HDMI cable out there. (eliminating THAT as any source of my issue)

I have a wired 4k /DVR box connected to another TV in the house.

A couple of weeks ago, XfinityFrank provided concise answers I had regarding this Xi6 box, one of which was that ALL recordings played on this box are from the cloud (as opposed to off the recording on the in-home DVR) - the could of HD boxed I have in my place generally access the recording from the DVR.

Mr. XfinityFrank assured me that this was as intended, perfectly normal, and not to worry.

What I have come to notice is that upon playing back recordings via "the cloud" whenever there is any type of moderate top fast motion, I see a "rainbow halo effect" as if there is lag and any sharp image becomes a blur of color on its edges.

To be clear, this NEVER happens with live TV on the Xi6 box., this NEVER happens when I am playing a UHD or Blu-ray disc, it does not happen when i am utilizing the apps within the Xi6 box. It does NOT happen when I hooked up an antenna and was watching over the air content.

The ONLY time I see this (and it's quite noticeable) is when accessing these DVR recording (that "as intended") - are from the cloud.

I did find one was to mitigate (but not totally eliminate) this, and what was to change the resolution output from 4k60, down to 4k30 -maybe the cloud recordings don't like being upscaled and played back at 4K60

Less frames per second = less rainbow schmear perhaps?

I am hoping to hear from others that may notice this phenomenon, in their sets, or perhaps an Xfinity expert can chime in and explain what's going on there. Maybe there is a solution, or perhaps something to pass along to the tech people.

Any and all assistance is appreciated. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

5 months ago

Hello, @westwayneguy88888 

Are you using the X1 setting "Prefer Best Available Resolution" which should auto-select the best resolution? Were you receiving any error messages when these rainbow halo effects occur? 

Contributor

• 

107 Messages

@XfinityThomasC​ 

Thomas,

"prefer best available resolution" is on, but that is only applicable when watching live TV, if I tune into ESPN SD, it will automatically jump to the ESPN HD channel.

so that issue is moot.

As I hope I clearly stated in my post, this issue is ONLY when playing back DVR recordings on this box (Xi6, which are always from the cloud) - everything is splendid when watching live TV or streaming via the X1 apps, ONLY watching DVR recorded programs 

I receive NO error messages at all - not sure why I would,------ the picture and sound were still there, just with compressed video artifacts schmear rainbow blur during any type of horizontal motion.

I appreciate the response, but neither of those things really answer any questions I brought up. Hopefully there can be more follow up questions, or collaborations with fellow users on this.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

@westwayneguy88888

Cloud recordings are optimized for playback on mobile devices and are recorded at a lower video resolution. This results in lower video quality when played back on the TV Box, as well as some lag issues when the customer attempts to rewind, fast forward, etc.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

107 Messages

5 months ago

ok, further testing done and I think I have a more refined answer/theory

Xfinity Thomas said above: "Cloud recordings are optimized for playback on mobile devices and are recorded at a lower video resolution." I do not believe that to be accurate, but is on the right path.

The resolution is recorded at whatever the incoming signal resolution is. in most cases it is 720P.  The "playback resolution" is what we select in our menu. For the Xi6 the choices are 720P, 1080i, 1080P, 4K@30 frames/second and 4K@60 frames/second.

I also posted on a few other sites I visit, such as an Facebook Xfinity group, and received some feedback there as well. I am convinced that the BITRATE for cloud based recordings is too low. Low bitrate doesn't affect the "resolution" but does affect the overall quality of the video. Too low of a bitrate creates artifacts such as macro blocking, mosquito/edge noise, and other type of schmearing during motion. 

I am also surmising that the cloud recordings are 30 frames per second based on the following:

I recorded an episode of Law and Order SVU, there is a scene where a couple of ladies walk and you can clearly see the edge of their hair getting all 'rainbowy' (sorry for the weird word) when the box is set at the highest resolution setting (4k @ 60 frames per second) . I changed the box resolution output to each of 720p/1080i/1080P, and it STILL exhibited that rainbow effect. These are all LOWER resolutions than the original 4k setting, so it is NOT a resolution issue. These are also all 60 frames per second settings.

When I set the box to the 4k@30 frames/second, the effect disappears. My theory, that one or both of these are happening

1) Cloud based recordings are in 30FPS and when played back using a 60 frames/second mode on a BIG screen (77") the box has to add extra frames in and this causes issues.

2) the bit rate is so low that artifacts appears during motion.

To re-iterate what I posted originally above, this situation only occurs during DVR playback, my TV set is perfectly fine with every other source, and also fine during live tv via X1.

While inconvenient, my solution would be to change my settings to the 30 frames when watching anything off the DVR, and return back to 60 frames afterwards (it does provide a smoother picture at 60 over 30 when watching stuff like hockey playoffs). In addition, cloud recordings used to ONLY be 2.0 stereo sound, now they are 5.1 surround.

2.0 sound with my 4K set and Dolby Atmos setup would be a non-starter. so I am good with this trade-off (for now)

I had a wired 4k box for this tv set;  but having 2 DVR's in the house was causing recording and playback issues for weeks before I called out a tech and he suggested i use the Xi6 for this tv set.

I could always put my WIRED box at this location where all the recordings would be from the DVR itself and not the cloud, but I would lose Dolby vision on the apps, and who knows how the Xi6 box would look on my smaller, less grandiose tv, and whether it is in a location I can run an ethernet or get a good Wi-Fi signal.

I think I have it figured out, but want to hear from other users, or other Xfinity experts to confirm or refute my statements i made in this post.

I took this time to make this long post so it can be a source of knowledge for others in the future that encounter similar issues.

Thank you

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

922 Messages

Thanks for sharing your findings, westwayneguy88888.  With my personal setup, this is not something I experience, so I wonder if there may be a way to test with additional devices. I am interested to see what any users may have to add.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

• 

107 Messages

@XfinityFrank​ 

As always, appreciate your response but I am confused:

Additional devices like "other xfinity boxes"?  - -like my wired 4K box, or one of my HD boxes?

I know via my game consoles or a disc player there are zero issues like this. There are zero issues with this when using "on demand" or the apps on this box. (or live tv for that matter)

not sure what else you want me to test

do you have an Xi6 box attached to a large screen (65" or bigger?)

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

922 Messages

Biggest I have here is about a 30 incher,

westwayneguy88888. Admittedly, we are not big TV watchers here. I was wondering if the issues you are pointing out appear on a different TV set, with any resolution.

Contributor

• 

107 Messages

Ahhhh, thank you for the clarification

I have not utilized this Xi6 box in any other locations. I will connect it to a different set and see if anything happens

I have a 43" Samsung set I can bring upstairs to that location, connect it, and run the same scene of Law and order SVU  and flip through resolutions.

Great troubleshooting idea. I'll report back later

Thank you

Official Employee

• 

3.7K Messages

Of course and we're more than happy to help @westwayneguy88888! Please test it at your convenience and let us know the results. We look forward to hearing back from you. 

Contributor

• 

107 Messages

5 months ago

@XfinityFrank 

I was able to go to my set and have the following to report

1) I do have the Xfinity stream app on the tv, and it DOES produce the same effect during that scene, I even looked at that stream app settings and changed the best resolution to off..... did not make a difference. BOTH settings produced that effect, and at the same level as through the Xi6 box.

2) Then I thought, I have peacock, and that show would be on there, and this is where it becomes interesting: When watching the same scene via the peacock app on the tv; The effect was ONLY there if you knew exactly where to look, meaning, under normal circumstances it's not there. AKA it's not noticeable and (to me) would be acceptable.

• I can run the other scenarios to you, but as of right now, the leader in the clubhouse that Xfinity streams either from the app or from the cloud are "bit-starved" and suffer from these types of artifacts.
  • I can only surmise that Peacock app is at a higher(better) bitrate than the xfinity app is; after all it's the same show on the same set.
  • I would love to provide more troubleshooting feedback, any other ideas of what I can do?  Perhaps off the cloud via the HD box I have in the basement?

Let me know and that you for your assistance so far

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

You mentioned that your television is a 77" LG. Does that smart TV feature TruMotion? This improves the picture quality on your screen. It's designed to artificially increase the smoothness of the image by boosting your TV screen refresh rate. Are you able to adjust the feature and check the results? 

Contributor

• 

107 Messages

@XfinityThomasC​ that's a question i have on a different message board (avsforum) to a guy who I have talked to and provides calibrations. I am awaiting his answer, but this may be the setting

Thank you Mr. ThomasC for the reply.

what's your opinion of looking good on peacock and not so good via the Xfinity streaming app?

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

@westwayneguy88888

My understanding is select titles in Peacock’s library content will stream in HD at 1080p or 720p. Peacock on X1/Xumo Stream Box/Flex supports 4K for select titles on 4K-enabled devices. However, Peacock is a streaming application, and DVR doesn’t work in streaming applications like Peacock or Netflix. 

Contributor

• 

107 Messages

Let's go back to the fact that "resolution" is not the issue here,

when I set my Xi6 box to 720P (a lower resolution) I was still getting artifacts

The Xi6 box certainly has the peacock app on it, and while my test eaelier this afternoon with with the TV's app, I'll make sure to use the X1 peacock app and report back

This is about bitrate, and it appears that Xfinity has a lower bitrate than peacock - i need to find out to measure and compare the 2.

I appreciate the responses, and I look forward to uncovering the situation here in more depth to report back to "you guys". 

Thank you

(edited)

Contributor

• 

107 Messages

I went into the tv's menu and played around with truMotion and a bunch of other related settings and these zero change 

Contributor

• 

107 Messages

5 months ago

Final follow-up to report:

I got around to swapping my boxes and hooking them up to my TV:

To recap, on live tv everything is great, but on my Xi6, using (cloud) recording, there are terrible compression artifacts on playback. This was on an NBC show (law and order: SVU). I went to the peacock app, and when playing that same episode back, there were no artifacts.  In addition, the artifacts are present in every resolution setting EXCEPT the 4k30 resolution.

I noticed the following over the weekend using the same episode as before

Using my 4k wired box, accessing the actual (not cloud) DVR recording - surprisingly, the exact same issues are present as with the cloud recording, as before only the 4k30 setting mitigated this.

Hooking up one of my HD boxes also exhibited the same compression artifacts. This was true with accessing either the DVR recording OR the cloud recording (accessed the cloud recording by unplugging my DVR in the house).

I contacted some experts regarding my LG TV to learn if there were motion or clarity settings I could tweak. All of their suggestions had zero impact on the issue.

In the name of assisting others that run into this issue in the future:

• It did not matter if the recording was accessed via the cloud or directly from the DVR - there were compression artifacts, most likely caused by Xfinity using a substandard bit rate. As witnessed by the peacock app NOT exhibiting any of the symptoms, so its not a TV or "box issue".
  • This issue manifested itself when accessing the content on the Xfinity stream app as well.
  • The best way to mitigate this effect is to set your box to 4k30 (if you have a 4K box). No such setting exists for the HD box.
  • Xfinity needs to up their video quality by upping their bit rate.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here