MiddKid99's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

Thursday, October 1st, 2020 3:00 PM

Closed

Xi6 4K Box Clarification

Hello all.  I'll try to provide all the relevant information with the hopes someone can provide some clarity for me!

I have X1 service at my home and Xfinity 1Gig Internet.  Before today I had the following:

• Owned Arris SB8200 Modem
  • Owned Orbi Mesh Wifi System
  • XG1v4 DVR in the Home Theater
  • Older XiD (I think) box in my family room with an HD TV

All has been working OK.  We're upgrading our family room to a new 4K OLED and I set up an appointment at the Xfinity store today to swap out the XiD.  Walked in, swapped out the XiD for a Xi6, walked out 5 minutes later.  Easy.

Got home to realize there is no Coax port.  Odd.  A little Googling later and my blood pressure rose as I saw post after post (and Comcast's own FAQ) about the Xi6 not working with owned equipment.  Grrrr!!!

I decided to plug it in anyway.  It went through the normal start up process.  It asked me to manually connect to my WiFi network which I did.  Set the resolution, paired the remote...BAM. I then hit the error that people post about..XRE-10007.  I assumed I was out of luck but hit "Try Again" and suddenly it was working.  I could change channels.  I could see my DVR recordings.  Everything was working.

I unplugged the box and moved it a different TV just to test.  Got the error again upon boot up.  Hit Try Again and sure enough it's working fine again.  

If the only issue I'm going to have is that I have to hit "Try Again" every time it boots up, I'm totally fine with that.  Or am I about to face other issues that my 5 minutes of testing is not yet showing?  I felt good that it seems to be working fine but Comcast's own FAQ says: 

Can I use my own modem or router?
No, the Wireless TV Box can only be used with your Xfinity Wireless Gateway with bridge mode disabled. The Wireless TV Box will not work with customer-owned modems or Xfinity Wireless Gateways with bridge mode turned on.

If the FAQ is true, why is it working?  Help? Thanks!

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@MiddKid99 wrote:

Hello all.  I'll try to provide all the relevant information with the hopes someone can provide some clarity for me!

I have X1 service at my home and Xfinity 1Gig Internet.  Before today I had the following:

• Owned Arris SB8200 Modem
  • Owned Orbi Mesh Wifi System
  • XG1v4 DVR in the Home Theater
  • Older XiD (I think) box in my family room with an HD TV

All has been working OK.  We're upgrading our family room to a new 4K OLED and I set up an appointment at the Xfinity store today to swap out the XiD.  Walked in, swapped out the XiD for a Xi6, walked out 5 minutes later.  Easy.

Got home to realize there is no Coax port.  Odd.  A little Googling later and my blood pressure rose as I saw post after post (and Comcast's own FAQ) about the Xi6 not working with owned equipment.  Grrrr!!!

I decided to plug it in anyway.  It went through the normal start up process.  It asked me to manually connect to my WiFi network which I did.  Set the resolution, paired the remote...BAM. I then hit the error that people post about..XRE-10007.  I assumed I was out of luck but hit "Try Again" and suddenly it was working.  I could change channels.  I could see my DVR recordings.  Everything was working.

I unplugged the box and moved it a different TV just to test.  Got the error again upon boot up.  Hit Try Again and sure enough it's working fine again.  

If the only issue I'm going to have is that I have to hit "Try Again" every time it boots up, I'm totally fine with that.  Or am I about to face other issues that my 5 minutes of testing is not yet showing?  I felt good that it seems to be working fine but Comcast's own FAQ says: 

Can I use my own modem or router?
No, the Wireless TV Box can only be used with your Xfinity Wireless Gateway with bridge mode disabled. The Wireless TV Box will not work with customer-owned modems or Xfinity Wireless Gateways with bridge mode turned on.

If the FAQ is true, why is it working?  Help? Thanks!

currently without an xb3/xb6/xb7 modem that is not in bridged mode, the xi6 can not commuicate with the DVR (via MoCA over ethernet/wifi). the fail to connect to MoCA over ethernet/wifi reverts on try again to using the cloud DVR not the in-home DVR. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

4 years ago

So, is the only downside to this set-up the fact that I can't access my DVR-based recordings except through the cloud DVR?  If so, I'm content with the solution.  

I had a chat with support where they indicated that the Xi6 now works with personal modems (presumably except for this cloud DVR issue) and they assured me that it would not count against my bandwidth caps.  Hopefully that's true.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@MiddKid99 wrote:

So, is the only downside to this set-up the fact that I can't access my DVR-based recordings except through the cloud DVR?  If so, I'm content with the solution.  

I had a chat with support where they indicated that the Xi6 now works with personal modems (presumably except for this cloud DVR issue) and they assured me that it would not count against my bandwidth caps.  Hopefully that's true.

ok, cool. note that the apps on the xi6 (like netfilx and peacock) all use counted internet.  There is a new option called xfi complete $25/month includes gateway(modem) and unlimited data.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here