U

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

Friday, June 30th, 2023 8:07 PM

Closed

XG2v2-S DVR Cable Box

I started having problems with our DVR cable box performance about a month ago.  After many "chats" and phone calls, a technician finally came out, tested the connections and wiring and concluded that the box was bad. He replaced it with a XG2v2-S box. As you all probably know, some programs come through in 4K, especially sports events.  It took me a while to realize that NO programs were coming thru in 4K.  I did a bit of research and it seems like the cable box they gave me is outdated.  I got on the phone and spent time with a support person who confirmed that the XG2v2-S doesn't support 4K!  I asked why the technician had downgraded my TV system by installing this inferior box - - she did not know.  My choice was now to head to the local xfinity store to swap the cable box, or have one shipped to me. I asked her to confirm the local store actually had what I needed before I jumped in the car.  She did some checking and said there were no 4k capable DVR Cable boxes available (which is probably why I ended up with this inferior model in the 1st place).  So a new 4K DVR Cable box is being shipped to me.

I understand there are other issues with this model cable box also - but I wanted to share with the community that it is not 4k capable.

Accepted Solution

Problem Solver

• 

359 Messages

1 year ago

It is rare to find an XG1v4 4K DVR at Xfinity stores these days.   I've had several shipped to me over the last few years, although I've also received the wrong one a few times. 

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

@BIslander​ I honestly do not know what model cable/dvr box is being sent to me . . I did not think to ask.  It is supposedly going to arrive here on Wednesday via UPS.  I will post back in here after installing it to let you know what box showed up and how things worked out.

I just did a search on the XG1v4 DVR box, and the photos that showed up look exactly like the original cable/dvr box that supported 4k that I had.  Of course I had nothing when it stopped working entirely - which started all this nonsense.

Problem Solver

• 

359 Messages

As you probably already discovered, there's very little 4K content on Xfinity because there's almost none on broadcast and cable/satellite.  Just a few sports games.  The vast majority of Xfinity 4K is from streaming services like Netflix.   Also, the XG1v4 doesn’t support Dolby Vision, so much of the 4K streaming content is going to look better on platforms other than X1.

I have the 4K boxes for occasional football and soccer games along with the Olympics. 

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

@BIslander​ yes - that's when I realized something was wrong - no ball games were in 4k so I started searching around trying to find 4k programming and found none. Then I started searching for info on the XG2v2-S box and learned available 4k programming was not the issue since the box can't handle it.

Have you found the XG1v4 to be reliable?  I don't know why mine started acting up and then died (basically stuck itself in a startup loop).

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

359 Messages

I got my first 4K TV two years ago and that X1 box has worked reliably the whole time.   Added a second 4K set in January and I've had to swap it out a couple of times. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here