KenD22's profile

New Poster

• 

9 Messages

Friday, April 10th, 2020 4:00 PM

Closed

XG2v2-P set up with 6 TVs

I currently have 6 TVs set up with the following configuration:

2 Pace XG2v2-P units (one is set up as master / cloud DVR access)

2 Xi6A wireless boxes

2 XiD Moca boxes

I originally had 1 XG2v2-P box, 3 Xi6A boxes and 2 XiD boxes.  I found out that I needed more tuners, so I replaced one of the Xi6A boxes with another XG2v2-P boxes.  

Unfortunately, on one of my Xi6A boxes, I am still getting the error message telling me to turn off the power to a non-dvr box to free up a tuner.  I have rebooted the box several times by both restarting and by removing power.  Why can't the Xi6A box see the new tuners available on my 2nd XG2v2-P box?

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Try resetting all the boxes or wait overnight for nightly updates. Is the new box on an outlet that is coming off an amp or something that the other boxes can’t read it.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

XG2 has 4, one for live tv and 3 to share. What kind of amp? The gateway and all boxes should be restarted to re-establish moca connections. Can you move the newer XG2 to one of the xid locations if the resets don’t work

New Poster

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

The only amp is on the main line coming in before any splitter.  The other XG2v2P box is working fine with similar cable length, etc.   I have found very little information online regarding the XG2v2-P.   Is it a newer vesion of the XG2?  Was there a XG2v1?    The comparison table says the XG2 has 4 tuners but it does not specify a model XG2v2.  I thought I read somewhere that the newer XG2 (XG2v2-P?) has 6 tuners, but now I can't find that information.   Regardless, I still need at least 8 tuners to dedicate one for each TV plus 2 more for cloud DVR recording - at least that's how I understand it.  Am I correct in my understanding here?  Also, does the newer XG2 still only have 4 tuners, or is it 6?

New Poster

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

The amp was replaced by Comcast when technician was here last week for my initial install - I think it is a 20 watt which replaced a much older 15 watt.   I'm not sure why he didn't identify my lack of tuners at that point.  I've always had 6 TVs and never had a shortage of Tuners before when I had an older X-1 box because I had two TVs using DTAs before.   I could swap the 2nd X2 box now with one of the XiD boxes if it were smaller - but its too big to fit behind wall mounted flatscreens.   I can swap with one of the two Xi6 units since they are table top units, but I really don't think the cable is the problem.  The TV and all of the boxes I have had there before (X1, XiD, Xi6A) have all worked fine in that location.  I'm beginning to wish I would have been allowed to get a XG1v4 box as my DVR box and satyed away from this cloud services and 4 tuner box, but alas they insisted I get the cloud DVR upon renewing my service and saving some $.

New Poster

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

Everything was restarted and the Moca connections to the XiD boxes and the XG2 boxes are all working...its the non-Moca Xi6A box that can't find a Tuner.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

One of those XG2 (probably the new one) isn’t communicating with the gateway, so the gateway can talk to the XI6. The first XG2 is probably the one talking to the other 3 boxes. Did you try any of the other suggestions, if yes only customer service is going to help.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

What kind of amp? In case it’s not passing moca

New Poster

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

I'm going to try a complete system reboot one more time, including a reboot of the Gateway.  If that doesn't work, it will be back to getting a tech to look at it.  Thanks Andrew!

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

adding .... imo should not be an amp 'before the splitters' as it may be causing signal issues itself. just take that one out of the circuit. the splitter(s?) can be removed and replaced with an 8 outlet unity amplifier/splitter with a passive (unpowered) outlet for your gateway/modem. 

New Poster

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

In the end, all I had to do was wait over-night as suggested.  Apparently, the updates do not always happen within an hour, but can take several hours.  I will say that the new equipment is more sensitive to old cables than the old equipment.  When you add in the issues that routinely occur with WiFi, you end up with a system that is much less stable, less robust and more difficult to maintain than was the case with the older equipment.  I strongly suggest that anyone with a large older house (and lots of older cabling) be advised they could end up having to have all cables re-run.  I haven't had to do that yet, but the entire system often times must be rebooted.  The Xi6 and XiD boxes also occassionally lose touch with their associated master box and "forget" the assigned tuner.  This requires the entire system to be rebooted so the boxes can "see a tuner" again.   My wife hates the upgrade, even though we added some capability by getting rid of two simple DTA boxes that were replaced withn XiD boxes.  If I had the option of keeping the v4 DVR with just XiD boxes, I think I would opt for that knowing what I know now.  Better yet, it would be nice to have each box have its own tuner like the old days.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here