selmer_mark_vi's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

14 Messages

Saturday, June 20th, 2020 8:00 PM

Closed

XG1v4 Box - Fair Warning!!! - Non DVR cable box with surround sound.

I have an LG OLED TV good to 4K along with a Marantz 7005 surround sound amplifier.  I was given this box (which it sound like some of you are looking for) to replace my DVR that gave out.  When I got it home, after about 10 hours on the phone and my solving the problem for Xfinity, I found out that this box will not work with my Marantz 7005.  Tech Support told that put some type of security software on to protect me from copying shows.  I don't even have any recording equipment hooked to my system to copy shows.  Everything works perfectly until I hook the Xfinity DVR box to my Marantz amp.  Tech Support told me my amp is out of date and I have to buy a new one.  (I ask for an old one that would work with my Amp and they said they can provide that.)  All Xfinity provides is a signal and I do have a signal so I am out of luck.  They couldn't even promise a new amp would work.  Buyer beware.  They said I have to bypass my amp and listen through the two TV speakers.

I did figured out a work around by moving non-DVR box to my main listening room and the XG1v4 to my Den.  The non-DVR box does work with my Marantz amp but it doesn't have Surround Sound capabilty.  Does anyone know if Xfinity has a non-DVR cable box with surround sound that might work with my Marantz?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

It’s true your personal equipment may be outdated for HDCP protocols that the X1 boxes use
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/hdcp-22-compatible-port

What’s the model of the non dvr box?

Regular Visitor

• 

14 Messages

4 years ago

The box without surround sound is X1D-P and model # PACE PXD01ANI.  Does Comcast have boxes with surround sound that don't have the HDCP 2.2 protrocol?  I am not concerned about 4K as I really don't think there is a noticable difference and I don't find a lot of content out there currently is broadcast in that format.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@selmer_mark_vi wrote:

I have an LG OLED TV good to 4K along with a Marantz 7005 surround sound amplifier.  I was given this box (which it sound like some of you are looking for) to replace my DVR that gave out.  When I got it home, after about 10 hours on the phone and my solving the problem for Xfinity, I found out that this box will not work with my Marantz 7005.  Tech Support told that put some type of security software on to protect me from copying shows.  I don't even have any recording equipment hooked to my system to copy shows.  Everything works perfectly until I hook the Xfinity DVR box to my Marantz amp.  Tech Support told me my amp is out of date and I have to buy a new one.  (I ask for an old one that would work with my Amp and they said they can provide that.)  All Xfinity provides is a signal and I do have a signal so I am out of luck.  They couldn't even promise a new amp would work.  Buyer beware.  They said I have to bypass my amp and listen through the two TV speakers.

I did figured out a work around by moving non-DVR box to my main listening room and the XG1v4 to my Den.  The non-DVR box does work with my Marantz amp but it doesn't have Surround Sound capabilty.  Does anyone know if Xfinity has a non-DVR cable box with surround sound that might work with my Marantz?

because your TV is 4k but the unit is not, connect the X1 DVR to your TV to the HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 port (see owner's manual for 4k connection directions).. Connect any other 4k to the TV. on the TV locate the ARC (Audio return channel) HDMI jack and connect that via an HDMI cable from the jack to the receiver's ARC input HDMI port. use the direction on your Marantz amp to set up the input from ARC. the model info you gave shows via google..

• 1080p-compatible HDMI switching (6 in, 2 out)
  • HDMI version 1.4a with support for 3D video, Audio Return Channel, Deep Color, x.v.Color, auto lip-sync, and HDMI-CEC
  • Audio Return Channel function receives digital audio signals from a compatible HDTV's tuner via HDMI

Regular Visitor

• 

14 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for the information.  I think I understand what you are suggesting.  It appears that I would need two HDMI cables.  One for the 4K signal from the X1 box to the TV and another HDMI to carry the surround sound back to my Marantz receiver going from the HDMI 2 ARC on the TV into to probably the SAT input on the amp.  I would then have to tell the TV and Amp via software switches which way the signals go.  Correct?

The problem I will have is, when I got my equipment via Magnolia HiFi and they did the install, we ran everything through the wall and the TV is mounted above a brick fireplace.  We figured that all I would ever need is one HDMI cable.  They did run some extra cable (extra Cat 6e network and a 6 wire RGB) but I don't think these can be made into another HDMI.  Thus I would either have to rip the wall apart again or run a wire outside the wall.  I don't think my wife will go for either of these fixes.

For my actual question, if I can get a box from Comcast that provides Surround Sound but does not have the HDCP 2.2 (in other words, not a DVR) I can get everything to work.  Do you know if Comcast has these?  I have tried to find what boxes are available on the Comcast site with no success.  Also have tried to find a phone number for the store close to me without success to ask. I'm 69 and don't want to run around with the COVID-19 situation.   I also don't want to fight with Comcast phone system anymore.  Also, I have a small Surround system in our Playroom for my daughter that I would love to use it capabilities.

I may just have to bite the bullet and get a different amp.  It really burns me when my Amp is doing fine.  Thanks for the help.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@selmer_mark_vi wrote:

Thanks for the information.  I think I understand what you are suggesting.  It appears that I would need two HDMI cables.  One for the 4K signal from the X1 box to the TV and another HDMI to carry the surround sound back to my Marantz receiver going from the HDMI 2 ARC on the TV into to probably the SAT input on the amp.  I would then have to tell the TV and Amp via software switches which way the signals go.  Correct?

The problem I will have is, when I got my equipment via Magnolia HiFi and they did the install, we ran everything through the wall and the TV is mounted above a brick fireplace.  We figured that all I would ever need is one HDMI cable.  They did run some extra cable (extra Cat 6e network and a 6 wire RGB) but I don't think these can be made into another HDMI.  Thus I would either have to rip the wall apart again or run a wire outside the wall.  I don't think my wife will go for either of these fixes.

For my actual question, if I can get a box from Comcast that provides Surround Sound but does not have the HDCP 2.2 (in other words, not a DVR) I can get everything to work.  Do you know if Comcast has these?  I have tried to find what boxes are available on the Comcast site with no success.  Also have tried to find a phone number for the store close to me without success to ask. I'm 69 and don't want to run around with the COVID-19 situation.   I also don't want to fight with Comcast phone system anymore.  Also, I have a small Surround system in our Playroom for my daughter that I would love to use it capabilities.

I may just have to bite the bullet and get a different amp.  It really burns me when my Amp is doing fine.  Thanks for the help.

go to amazon.com and search "HDMI audio breakout". find 4k HDMI for out to TV and whatever you need to connect to the receiver. note the SAT is not necessarily the ARC in connector. find the ARC in HDMI connector information in the owner's manual for the audio receiver. you may find one or two ARC inputs on the receiver (HDMI). that way you can have only one to the TV.

I see that this can be confusing. if using the TV use ARC out from TV to ARC in on receiver. if using the breakout box you will need to experiment on the receiver to get the audio to play properly when the set top box is being watched. Lip-sync for the X1 will be done by the TV's menu if needed.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Tech Suport isn’t really allowed to offer suggestions on third party equipment

Regular Visitor

• 

14 Messages

4 years ago

I now understand what you are saying.  I didn't know that this type of box is available.  Hoping it works. It would have been nice if Tech Support would have mentioned this.  Everything is on order from Amazon.  Should be here tomorrow afternoon.  Thanks!

Regular Visitor

• 

14 Messages

4 years ago

Well they did and it was buy a new receiver was the only way to fix my problem.  That is what upset me.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

That’s a possible general solution that they offered. They aren’t going to be able to offer brands and solutions for each and every scenario

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

You may want to look into hdfury maybe their arcana or another device may work.

Contributor

• 

67 Messages

4 years ago

For what it's worth, I was having all kinds of audio & video dropouts trying to make my 15 year old Sony ES AVR work with the latest Video components. I just installed a Marantz 5015 AVR and new 8K HDMI cables using ARC to/from my Q80 4K Samsung & Apple TV 4K. All components are HDCP 2.2 compliant and everything works perfectly. Probably not the answer you want to hear but technology changes pretty fast, you have to keep up or expect issues like these. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here