motogeek112's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, March 10th, 2020 7:00 AM

Closed

Xfinity Xi5-P with Wifi Asus or Customer Own Wifi

I just traded in my older DVR and equipment to use the latest X1 equipment to take advantage of 4K and surround sound and brought home from the Xfinity store to self-install. What they did not inform me was that the Xfinity Xi5-P  even though wifi capable will not see a customer-owned wifi router.  Xfinity support simply said contact my wifi manufacturer Asus. Asus pretty much blew me off and said I would get a call back on the issue. Online search and Xfinity self-help have not given me any results. Before I start drilling holes to hardwire, I want to verify the wifi options I might have. I'm asking again as there is still confusion on this forum as some people are getting it working with the customer own modem and some responses says only Xfinity Modem/Wifi. 

My equipment is the Asus NT66R WiFi Router (not bridged) and Arris SB8200 Cable Modem. 

Is there a list of support Wifi Customer Own routers that should work with Xfinity Xi5-P?

Can the Xfinity Xi5-P talk to the new X1 DVR Box somehow other than wifi or ethernet?

Is there still a coax supported X1 remote non-DVR set-top?

Thanks in advance. Rob

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@motogeek112 wrote:

I just traded in my older DVR and equipment to use the latest X1 equipment to take advantage of 4K and surround sound and brought home from the Xfinity store to self-install. What they did not inform me was that the Xfinity Xi5-P  even though wifi capable will not see a customer-owned wifi router.  Xfinity support simply said contact my wifi manufacturer Asus. Asus pretty much blew me off and said I would get a call back on the issue. Online search and Xfinity self-help have not given me any results. Before I start drilling holes to hardwire, I want to verify the wifi options I might have. I'm asking again as there is still confusion on this forum as some people are getting it working with the customer own modem and some responses says only Xfinity Modem/Wifi. 

My equipment is the Asus NT66R WiFi Router (not bridged) and Arris SB8200 Cable Modem. 

Is there a list of support Wifi Customer Own routers that should work with Xfinity Xi5-P?

Can the Xfinity Xi5-P talk to the new X1 DVR Box somehow other than wifi or ethernet?

Is there still a coax supported X1 remote non-DVR set-top?

Thanks in advance. Rob

the xi5 and xi6 both use wifi to a comcast rental (only) gateway/modem that has MoCA built in. at this time no customer owned equipment will work. however you can use with ethernet connected to the same modem/gateway (yes switches attached will work). did you get an xg1v4 DVR too?

edit: note that the xi5 is not a 4K box the xi6 is (no coax only wifi with rental modem or connect via ethernet).  the only current 4k set top box with coax is the xg1v4 (DVR version 4).

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I saw some conversations about using Moca adapters to use existing house wiring or coax to achieve ethernet. But determine a couple of holes later, able to run it through the wall to get it upstairs. I'm sure the engineers have their reasons for doing this at Xfinity. Just was a surprise since they allow your own cable modem and the representative did not check to see if I had an Xfinity modem in my home. In my situation, I was able to overcome this by running the ethernet. 

Thanks for the information about the Xi6. I do have the latest DVR and able to use surround sound channels and 4k. I will check on the availability of the x6   

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here