Spokane44's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, October 24th, 2017 2:00 PM

Closed

Xfinity 4k - XG1v4 Cable Box Availability

Called Xfinity and asked about the availability of XG1v4 cable boxes at my location (WA state), which has the capability to stream 4k content through Netflix.  Was assured, with repeated confirmations, that they were available to the local service store, would just have to bring in my existing cable box and exchange it.  Bought a nice LG OLED TV, upgraded my Netflix account to receive Ultra HD, and took my box down to the local service center for exchange, per customer service direction.  You can probably guess what happened next - "sorry, we don't have any 4k boxes, don't know when we will".  Anyone else been misled by the Xfinity garbage customer service?  Went online to see what lies they convey on their website regarding this matter, and found this:  https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/uhd-4k-faqs/   More misleading BS.  Wanted to warn anyone else potentially in the same situation as myself not to believe anything you are told or read about the availability of XG1v4 boxes; go to your service center first to confirm.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Hi,

Who do I need to contact at Comcast to get a Xfinity 4k - XG1v4 Cable Box shipped to me. Apprently there are none availability in Denver, CO.

Thx

Regular Contributor

• 

482 Messages

6 years ago

@andyat1217 wrote:

Just received my 4K STB (DVR, receiver).Hooked very easily and some channels are looking better,and some HD channels actually look worse.For some reason quite a few Channels on Comcast looked washed out,very poor picture quality.A matter of fact even our local channels on Cable looked washed out.Its an easy compare as I can use my indoor antenae to receive my locals and will switch over to OTA for quite a big picture difference.My tv is a Vizio 4k and now receiver is suppossed to upconvert to 4K but not all channels in HD will upconvert enough to make a difference.Even Netflix on Comcast with the 4K box still look terrible,thankfully I use Netflix through the smartapp on my TV and get a legitimate 4K picture(when available).I just want to say if you want a smaller STB the new 4k box  is smaller(but no clock).But not relly worth rushing into getting as you really wont notice a big diiference.And yes I went in 4K device settings and change format to 4K which says best available.Until Comcast quits downgrading signal ,its not worth getting as of now..

I have and LG OLED 4k and the antenna in the attic also gives a better picture than the xg1v4. Even the wife notices...

Contributor

• 

75 Messages

6 years ago

What resolution is your box set to?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

6 years ago

Try pushing A button and arrow over to System Refresh, other than that there’s no reason not to see the offerings. Can you see them on your secondary box ( you should but it will give you an error code if you try to access).

You’ll see the assets regardless of your display settings

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

My X1 Gen4 box arrived yesterday and I got it hooked up. I tested 4K display via the Netflix app on X1 and confirmed that it looked OK. I then went searching for 4K Olympics content. I found “Welcome to Pyeongchang” and... nothing else. Started an online chat with an Xfinity rep about the issue, wasted a full hour before he escalated to another agent. That agent understood a little better what I was looking for “Where is the Olympic 4K content?” but another hour with that rep got me nowhere. I still cannot find any replays of anything in 4K. Is there a Comcast employee who can tell me why I have no content?

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

I use a Logitech Harmony remote. I have also tried searching for “4K” but that turns up nothing. Seriously, I keep hearing that the 4K Olympic content exists, but can find nothing but the 3-minute-long Welcome video.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

6 years ago

If you use the Voice Command “4K” it will take you right to the page of available assets.

Regular Contributor

• 

81 Messages

6 years ago

@yamato72 wrote:
2160P/60 (Best). And I used the high-speed hdmi cable from my UHD player, so I know the cable is good for HDR.

Just say "Show me 4k" into your remote.  The Olympic programs should show up immediately.  At least it does for me.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

2160P/60 (Best). And I used the high-speed hdmi cable from my UHD player, so I know the cable is good for HDR.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

I did the refresh and then searched for “4K.” Then I found the 4K content listed. Thank you for the help!
I returned to the Olympic portal and it is still not listed there (which is where the Xfinity 4K Olympics pages told you to look for it). So I hope the Xfinity folks can learn a bit from this experience. It was pretty painful for me but I’m now watching the opening ceremony with the family.

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

6 years ago

@Cydeweyz wrote:

@a5m wrote:

@slydoggie wrote:

I have received my XG1v4 4K box and have performed some testing to compare the video quality I get from multiple display resolution settings. Following are my findings:

1. If I select one of the 4K settings, the XG1v4 outputs 4K to the TV at all times, regardless of the original content resolution. In other words, the cable box is upscaling everything to 4K regardless of the content... Even for regular 1080p station broadcasts. I know this because my projector has an information screen which shows the resolution of the input it is receiving.
  2. If I select the 1080p or 1080i display setting, the video I receive is significantly better... Better contrast and better clarity. This is because I have the XG1v4 installed in my Home Theater and it is connected to a high-end 4K projector which does an amazing job of 4K upscaling of 1080p content to my 145" screen. In this case, it certainly does a far better job of 4K upscaling than the XG1v4 box does.
  3. If I select one of the 4K settings, Netflix doesn't show the UHD content. Even the Netflix content which should be UHD (like House of Cards, Stranger Things, and etc) shows up as HD 5.1 rather than UHD. I also tried unplugging the power after selecting the 4K display option in order to reset the XG1v4 box. That didn't help.
  4. If I select one of the 4K settings, I'm still not seeing any 4K Olympics options in the Olympics On Demand. I don't know if this content has shown up yet so it may not be there for anybody at this point. I also tried unplugging the power after selecting the 4K display option in order to reset the XG1v4 box. That didn't help.
  5. As a side item, I was surprised by the fact that all of my DVR recordings showed up on the new unit. Before I replaced my previous DVR, I did the "SYNC" option in the settings. When I installed the new 4K box, all of my recordings are accessible. I assume that everything was synced in the cloud and that is what made this possible.

Based on these findings, until there is native 4K content, it appears that I am better off leaving the display setting at 1080p60 so that my projector can do the upscaling of the 1080p content. I was really hoping that it would output the original resolution for everything... 1080p for 1080p content and 4K for 4K content. This is a huge disappointment as I was looking forward to using this box for broadcast 4K.

I can confirm these findings on my B6 OLED. I set up the box a couple days ago on Monday and naturally set it to the highest resolution setting. Directly connected to the TV. Couldn't really tell a difference in image quality since I personally don't watch a lot of cable TV. However, true to my nature, I did some 720p vs 1080i testing this morning by comparing AMC (Ch 171) and NBCSN (174) and trying various settings on the XG1v4.

Set to 2160p60 - Image noticeably flat and dull; lacking color, contrast, brightness and sharpness.

Set to 720p - Image noticeably better; improved color and contrast, slightly improved brightness, and sharpness seemed more or less the same.

Set to 1080i - Same as above, except color and contrast seems slightly worse.

Set to 1080p60 - Everything clearly improved; color, contrast, brightness and sharpness. Very obvious 'day and night' difference.

So it appears that the XG1v4 is optimized for 1080p. The upscaler doesn't do nearly as good a job as the TV's.

I made a separate thread about this, but the solution to this would have been a native resolution setting. Because reading through this thread I just learned that the Olympics are in 4K. I just tried watching it with the box set to 1080p60 and I got a notification saying I need to set it to 4K. I guess it's not a big deal, but still.

Did you enable Deep/UHD Color when testing 2160?

Yes, you are referring to the HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color setting and it is On.

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

6 years ago

@slydoggie wrote:

I have received my XG1v4 4K box and have performed some testing to compare the video quality I get from multiple display resolution settings. Following are my findings:

1. If I select one of the 4K settings, the XG1v4 outputs 4K to the TV at all times, regardless of the original content resolution. In other words, the cable box is upscaling everything to 4K regardless of the content... Even for regular 1080p station broadcasts. I know this because my projector has an information screen which shows the resolution of the input it is receiving.
  2. If I select the 1080p or 1080i display setting, the video I receive is significantly better... Better contrast and better clarity. This is because I have the XG1v4 installed in my Home Theater and it is connected to a high-end 4K projector which does an amazing job of 4K upscaling of 1080p content to my 145" screen. In this case, it certainly does a far better job of 4K upscaling than the XG1v4 box does.
  3. If I select one of the 4K settings, Netflix doesn't show the UHD content. Even the Netflix content which should be UHD (like House of Cards, Stranger Things, and etc) shows up as HD 5.1 rather than UHD. I also tried unplugging the power after selecting the 4K display option in order to reset the XG1v4 box. That didn't help.
  4. If I select one of the 4K settings, I'm still not seeing any 4K Olympics options in the Olympics On Demand. I don't know if this content has shown up yet so it may not be there for anybody at this point. I also tried unplugging the power after selecting the 4K display option in order to reset the XG1v4 box. That didn't help.
  5. As a side item, I was surprised by the fact that all of my DVR recordings showed up on the new unit. Before I replaced my previous DVR, I did the "SYNC" option in the settings. When I installed the new 4K box, all of my recordings are accessible. I assume that everything was synced in the cloud and that is what made this possible.

Based on these findings, until there is native 4K content, it appears that I am better off leaving the display setting at 1080p60 so that my projector can do the upscaling of the 1080p content. I was really hoping that it would output the original resolution for everything... 1080p for 1080p content and 4K for 4K content. This is a huge disappointment as I was looking forward to using this box for broadcast 4K.

I can confirm these findings on my B6 OLED. I set up the box on Monday and naturally set it to the highest resolution setting. Directly connected to the TV. Couldn't really tell a difference in image quality since I personally don't watch a lot of cable TV. However, true to my nature, I did some 720p vs 1080i testing this morning by comparing AMC (CH 171) and NBCSN (CH 174) and trying various settings on the XG1v4 (assuming these two channels are 720p and 1080i, respectively).

Set to 2160p60 - Image noticeably flat and dull; lacking color, contrast, brightness and sharpness.

Set to 720p - Image noticeably better; improved color and contrast, slightly improved brightness, and sharpness seemed more or less the same.

Set to 1080p60 - Everything clearly improved; color, contrast, brightness and sharpness. Very obvious 'day and night' difference.

So it appears that the XG1v4 is optimized for 1080p. The upscaler doesn't do nearly as good a job as the TV's.

I made a separate thread about this, but the solution to this would have been a native resolution setting. Because reading through this thread I just learned that the Olympics are in 4K. I just tried watching it with the box set to 1080p60 and I got a notification saying I need to set it to 4K. I guess it's not a big deal, but still.

Contributor

• 

75 Messages

6 years ago

@a5m wrote:

@slydoggie wrote:

I can confirm these findings on my B6 OLED. I set up the box a couple days ago on Monday and naturally set it to the highest resolution setting. Directly connected to the TV. Couldn't really tell a difference in image quality since I personally don't watch a lot of cable TV. However, true to my nature, I did some 720p vs 1080i testing this morning by comparing AMC (Ch 171) and NBCSN (174) and trying various settings on the XG1v4.

Did you enable Deep/UHD Color when testing 2160?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Is this really how I can get a 4K box? I too would like to order one, please

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

Where is the HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color setting found?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here