CCGwen's profile

Contributor

 • 

235 Messages

Mon, Oct 6, 2014 2:00 PM

Closed

X1 Technical Issues

Welcome to the new "X1 Technical Issues" thread. We ask that you post all of your X1 related technical issues (Audio, Set Top Box, etc.) here. 

 

Below, you will find links to X1 Help articles that may assist you in resolving your technical issue:

 

Xfinity TV: Basic Troubleshooting

Find and Troubleshoot Error Codes

 

Thank you in advance for posting!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

 • 

1 Message

7 y ago

Hi all, and especially Comcast.

 

I'm writting this in hopes that it leads to root cause that so many have been posting.  

 

To start, We have 4 TV's in our house.  1 DVR (or main box) and 3 sattelites boxs. I also have internet (of course) and voice services .. What is or was called triple play.

 

Our system was installed on the 17th of Oct 14 and in general ran into the most common issues that everyone has since. 

 

Listed by device (I believe the issues differ depending on box)

 

1.) DVR box..  I have to say we experience the least amount of issues with the DVR box as compared to the smaller satellite boxes.  

- Audio clipping  , occasionally the audio will stop for a few seconds then return. this happens at least one a day

- HDMI port reset ,  Perhaps every other day the HDMI port will reset out of the blue.  Screen will go black but the DVR is still playing. The picture does come back in a few seconds. I have never had this problem with the older DVR. (this may have sometime to do with the message popups.

- Erratic remote response,  This is much more of a problem on the sattelite boxes but at times it happens on the mian box.

- Hard reset required at least twice since installed.  I believe this is due to software updates occuring overnight but I can't be sure. The other day I can hear channel but there was no video. Only after pulling the plug and restarting the box the video returned. 

 

2.) Satellite boxes (or slaves, not sure what Comcast calls them).  I have 3 of these boxes and all have the same issue.

- Erratic remote response.  This is the biggest issue and most common problem I run into. Simply the remote stops responding. For example: pressing channel down repeately the screen will freeze and stop moving. I know the receiver is picking up the remote as the remote light on the box flashes.

- On demand stops working.  I've had to hard reset these boxes a couple of time in order to get the xfnity guide to show up. One time I had what I will call a 'ghost' screen where the bottom half of my tv was dark as if the menu was on screen but it wasn't

- generally the poor Remote performance is the biggest issue I've run into.  

 

3.)  Xfinity Modem.  I rented my modem / router in one box from comcast. I was really please with it as it had enough wifi coverage for my entire house (which is hard to do in a tri-level home).  One morning I woke to no internet and called comcast which I was told to take my router to the comcast store and have it replaced (That's if I wanted it work anytime soon). So I did, however they did not have the same modem so I opted to take an old modem and use my old wifi router.  The replacement model didn't work at all so I decided to buy my owe modem which works fine. 

(Warning: I believe what cause the falure of the first modem was a software update that assumed the network ip setting were the defaults. I changed my IP addressing to my own settings including the dhcp setting and i think what happened is comcast pushed a software update that assumed the setting were factory messing up my network.  Hey comcast, don't allow me to change if code pushes are going to break it!)

 

I've had Comcast out twice to look at it.  The last visi was a waste of time. The guy said "just reset all your devices, that is the only solution we have at this time".  (not a good answer). I was also told the entire X1 service had crashed just 4 days before my service call and the tech has been working not stop since then. 

 

I know rolling trucks is one of the most expensive steps for any service provider to take. Comcast has made 1000's of house visits in the past couple of months costing them $$$.  Not to mention the $$$ they will need to throw at fixing the archetecture / infrastructure. . 

 

In the end, I believe a constaint / persistance connectivity with X1 application controllers is causing a great deal of the issue. It presumes / demands a consistant response time that is clearly either a.) under designed for the demands or b.) Comcast underestimate the lacancy issues and the impacts it will have on devices.  

(These issues can be difficult to find in a lab environment, difficult to replicate 100K - 1Million connectsion at the same time in a room the size of most peoples living room. If you are having simular problems , you are now apart of a larger , real world test lab 🙂 )

 

I hope X1 team can find and resolve the issues. My family is growing tired of it and asking about U-verse or Direct TV.  I'm frankly tired of being my own comcast tech and being mr IT in my house.

My offer to you Comcast, in an effort to resolve the issues quickly,  I'm willing to be a test site for new code pushes prior to a broader deployment. 

 

 

IceHippo

Contributor

 • 

25 Messages

7 y ago

Still having these same problems.

When are things supposed to go back to normal?


@DGAF1 wrote:

Issues over the last 10-14 days:

 

X1 unresponsive to remote inputs (X1 green light flashing with remote inputs, not a battery issue)

 

Fast Forwarding gets stuck, play/pause does nothing

 

Info/Play pop up messages stuck over the screen for several minutes at a time 

 

DVR recordings only playing a fraction of the length indicated on the DVR (sometimes only 10 minutes when it shows it should be 60)

 

Resetting, rebooting, power plug pulling fixes for a hour or so, then back to the same issues

 

Wifi stalls out periodically (1-2 times noticed per week)

 

 

 

Very Frustrated

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

New Poster

 • 

1 Message

7 y ago

have the same issues

-lip sync

-act like double or more button presses

-takes long time to change channel

 

this always seems worse in the eventing

Frequent Visitor

 • 

7 Messages

7 y ago

ComcastGwen It's going on 2 weeks since the problems with the X1 DVR guides and DVR lockups have started. I thought your so called engineers have found the issues? I tried to watch a hockey game last night and had the stupid popup box in the middle of the screen off and on throughout most of the game. I'm sick of paying for this crappy service!! Somebody needs to post some answers ASAP. I'm sure I'm not the only one loosing patients.

gotpizza

Problem Solver

 • 

2.8K Messages

7 y ago


@03054nhcust wrote:

ComcastGwen It's going on 2 weeks since the problems with the X1 DVR guides and DVR lockups have started. I thought your so called engineers have found the issues? I tried to watch a hockey game last night and had the stupid popup box in the middle of the screen off and on throughout most of the game. I'm sick of paying for this crappy service!! Somebody needs to post some answers ASAP. I'm sure I'm not the only one loosing patients.


is the popup box the sports app or something else?

New Poster

 • 

4 Messages

7 y ago

Don't blame nothing but problems here and the BOLONY you go thru to talk with a tech is rediculous

 


@dtknipe wrote:

I was considering migrating to X1, but after reading the techinical issues posted on this forum, have decided to wait until Comcast get the bugs out.


 

gotpizza

Problem Solver

 • 

2.8K Messages

7 y ago


@fisherman-bob wrote:

Don't blame nothing but problems here and the BOLONY you go thru to talk with a tech is rediculous

 


@dtknipe wrote:

I was considering migrating to X1, but after reading the techinical issues posted on this forum, have decided to wait until Comcast get the bugs out.


 


Bob what are your issues?

driveway2

Contributor

 • 

20 Messages

7 y ago

So Comcast has evidently decided to go ahead and schedule malfunctions each Wednesday night around 8:00 pm EST.  This is the THIRD Wednesday night in a row that at 8:00 our main X1 box stops working.  Won't do a thing.  Can't even turn it off.  Have to pull the plug for at least 10 minutes and then hope that you only have to do it once.  So, anything we have set to tape at 8:00 on Wednesdays is toast.  Takes about a half hour to get it rest and running again.  Thanks, Comcast.  Tell me again why I'm paying you $200 a month?

New Poster

 • 

1 Message

7 y ago

I have also been having problems since installation. Sometimes have to reset the box 4 or 5 times a day; sometimes it restarts itself while in the middle of a show. Volume goes out for no reason and have to unplug/replug to get it back or I get the "No connection to the DVR" message.  My Mocca Diagnostics say this:

 

(4 Lines- I have the X1 and three other boxes)

 

.267266263

266. 271261

267272.268

26827268

 

Does this seem like a signal issue?

Rustyben

Expert

 • 

24.1K Messages

7 y ago


@driveway2 wrote:

So Comcast has evidently decided to go ahead and schedule malfunctions each Wednesday night around 8:00 pm EST.  This is the THIRD Wednesday night in a row that at 8:00 our main X1 box stops working.  Won't do a thing.  Can't even turn it off.  Have to pull the plug for at least 10 minutes and then hope that you only have to do it once.  So, anything we have set to tape at 8:00 on Wednesdays is toast.  Takes about a half hour to get it rest and running again.  Thanks, Comcast.  Tell me again why I'm paying you $200 a month?


um... today is thursday

New Poster

 • 

1 Message

7 y ago

Did you ever get this resolved?  I keep having the same exact issues where the X1 shows the RDK error and won't do anything.  Reboot the machine and then it works for around 20-30 minutes.  Then begins again.  At the same time, my internet connection goes out.  This is a constant battle. 

driveway2

Contributor

 • 

20 Messages

7 y ago

Yes, I know it's Thursday.  It happened last night.  And last week on Wednesday.  And the previous Wednesday.

gotpizza

Problem Solver

 • 

2.8K Messages

7 y ago

Ray we have all been there at one time. There is a reason that people get so frustrated with Comcast, they are just too big!!

What they need to do re open the call centers in every area they serve. Also they need to have better communication with local dispatch. There is nothing worse than calling the cable company and getting someone who does not even live in your state, and has no local knowledge of outages etc..

 

I remember the days when i would call Comcast and give the agent my phone number. They would say something like "the line tech Tommy is already working on the issue"! Those days are past. To top that off now we have x1 which when there are server issues the local people may not even know that there are issues with that...It is a mess, and I think it is time they restructure their company.....Starting with the call centers...I would rather wait on hold a few minutes longer knowing that I get someone in my town or even same state...

 

That is my spin the whole issue!!

Pizza out!!!

geek46

Expert

 • 

18K Messages

7 y ago


@gotpizza wrote:

Bob what are your issues?


Shane,

 

We are expeiencing a rash of HIT & RUN forum members.... wanting nothing more than a place to VENT thier frustrations...

Instead of reading/searching/exploring they would rather shout, complain and curse out those willing to help not realizing that we TOO have or are experiencing the same things they are.  Don't know about you, but this has made me turn away from helping those who we could reach...

 

Steppping off soap box now.... back to regular programming.

-=Ray=-

geek46

Expert

 • 

18K Messages

7 y ago


@gotpizza wrote:

Ray we have all been there at one time. There is a reason that people get so frustrated with Comcast, they are just too big!!

What they need to do re open the call centers in every area they serve. Also they need to have better communication with local dispatch. There is nothing worse than calling the cable company and getting someone who does not even live in your state, and has no local knowledge of outages etc..

 

I remember the days when i would call Comcast and give the agent my phone number. They would say something like "the line tech Tommy is already working on the issue"! Those days are past. To top that off now we have x1 which when there are server issues the local people may not even know that there are issues with that...It is a mess, and I think it is time they restructure their company.....Starting with the call centers...I would rather wait on hold a few minutes longer knowing that I get someone in my town or even same state...

 

That is my spin the whole issue!!

Pizza out!!!


Correct-o-mondo....

 

Not to mention that in a lot of instances, the existing infrastructure cannot support the X1 and the TECHs shouldn't even bother trying....   IMO, everyone's initial dealings with Comcast begin with the INSTALL.....  an INSTALL that should never have been completed because of issues only adds fuel to the ever-growing fire....

 

Just my 2 cents worth thrown on top of yours!!!

 

Have a great weekend Shane!

-=Ray=-

New to the Community?

Start Here