Expressive Exchange
Conversation Starter
1st Reply

Frequent Visitor

• 

15 Messages

Wed, Dec 16, 2020 1:00 PM

X1 plan and DVR

I’ve been on the “X1 Starter Double Play (140+)” plan for a while using 2 old non-X1 HD boxes that were probably 10 years old. Recently one died and I was told that if I wanted the latest tech, X1, I needed to replace the other box, too, because “X1 doesn’t play well with non-X1 boxes.” So, they gave me 2 new identical Pace XG2V2-P boxes which I finally got to work.

Where I’m confused is that what I read on the X1 support web-pages always talks about the “master” box and DVR. Neither box said “master” and neither has a DVR. So, what’s the deal? Since I have an X1 plan should I have a DVR “master” box included?

Responses

RadTV

Problem Solver

• 

498 Messages

5 m ago

@my-screen-name wrote:

I’ve been on the “X1 Starter Double Play (140+)” plan for a while using 2 old non-X1 HD boxes that were probably 10 years old. Recently one died and I was told that if I wanted the latest tech, X1, I needed to replace the other box, too, because “X1 doesn’t play well with non-X1 boxes.” So, they gave me 2 new identical Pace XG2V2-P boxes which I finally got to work.

Where I’m confused is that what I read on the X1 support web-pages always talks about the “master” box and DVR. Neither box said “master” and neither has a DVR. So, what’s the deal? Since I have an X1 plan should I have a DVR “master” box included?

The basic setup is 1 X1 DVR and 1 X1 non-DVR. You need an X1 DVR if you wish to use the record feature. It's not recommended to use non X1 equipment with actual X1 equipment because the 2 systems do not communicate with each other. X1 is an Internet based system with access to TV channels and the X1 communicates with each connected device.

CCAndrew

Diamond Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 m ago

@my-screen-name
If you aren’t paying for dvr service then there’s no need for a dvr

Frequent Visitor

• 

15 Messages

5 m ago

Ok, thanks. I did finally find a 2021 rate sheet https://www.xfinity.com/support/rate-card/  that shows a DVR charge as extra. It seems like my plan (X1 Starter) isn't going to be offered in the future, though. There's a "Digital Starter" but I don't see "X1" even mentioned on the rate sheet except in two footnotes that say "requires X1 TV box".  My bill definitely says "X1 Starter."

Finding out anything about Xfinity is a challenge. The channel list here:

https://www.xfinity.com/learn/channel-lineup  showed 4 plans (mine included) a few days ago and now only shows 3. The channels listed are totally messed up. I found more accurate info here: https://www.cabletv.com/xfinity/channel-lineup

In fact, the cabletv site seems to have better info about xfinity than xfinity's. Another web site I found says: "Comcast’s Xfinity X1 is a TV and entertainment service that you set up through a set-top box with DVR."  This stuff is all as clear as mud. Maybe my time would be better spent researching Roku and such.

Official Employee

• 

2.5K Messages

5 m ago

Good morning, my-screen-name. Thanks for visiting us here and posting your question. It sounds like your plan may now be a grandfathered one, where the exact package you had is no longer an option when selecting a new plan going forward. The "master box" would be referring to a main DVR box, as you imagined. More often than not, X1 plans have a DVR with however many satellite boxes they need that are non DVR boxes, yet they still communicate with the DVR where recorded shows can get watched, setup, and erased, etc. Sorry for the confusion, I hope that answers your question. If there is anything at all I can do to help any further, please let me know. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!tick

Frequent Visitor

• 

15 Messages

5 m ago

Thank you @ComcastMorgan for your reply. My plan probably is grandfathered as I've been a subscriber for well over a decade. The "X1" started appearing on my bill some time in the past -- I don't remember when. I do have a promo discount that expires March 2021 so I guess I'll have to fight that battle then.

As I said in my first post, I have 2 identical Pace XG2V2-P boxes. Neither one says it has a DVR so how can I tell which one is the master? Or, are there setup instructions for non-DVR non-master X1 installations that I'm missing?

Official Employee

• 

2.5K Messages

5 m ago

You are very welcome! Happy to help. 🙂

XG2 devices support up to three Xi devices (XiD or Xi3), these can be used as service to additional TV. In that case of course, the XG2 would be the master. In your case, you can look at each of these as a master box because they each have tuners. Neither of them are designating tuners to any other device  - but they do have their own and they each just operate independently. Were you able to name each of them, just to be able to identify them later on if needed? For example ~ livingroom, bedroom, etc. Another thing I wanted to confirm is that you were able to activate both boxes successfully. Is that right? I can also work with you on reviewing current promotional offers, unless you would rather wait until March. If you do wait until March, feel free to reach out to us here for support and we'll be sure to get you taken care of as effortlessly as possible. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Official Employee

• 

2.5K Messages

5 m ago

Good to know! That helps a lot. I want to get eveything cleared up for you, so that you don't end up spending more time and effort than necessary. I know you've already done a lot and been through a lot up to this point. I can't thank you enough for continuing to bear with us.

Since you're experiencing pixelation and you've also checked/replaced the cable lines (and hopefully any splitter if you came across one) with the pixelation still continuing, I agree that it would be a good idea to get a technician out. I can schedule that for you here too if you'd like and while doing that, I can also review your current equipment and see what recommendations we have for you. As far as the appointment goes and depending where you live, there are certain restrictions in place. The technician should call upon arrival and prepare you with a brief rundown of what their plan is. This is a link with a lot of great info on how/what we're doing to continue supporting customer like you during this pandemic: https://comca.st/3rqIVkE. I will be including some of those pertinent details below.

"Thank you for your patience as we continue to respond to the various state orders and local guidelines in place which affect our ability to provide services. While our techs are eager to help customers in all homes again, we continue to remain cautious, particularly as the pandemic expands during this season. Decisions about whether our technicians will be permitted to provide services inside customer homes, and for which services, will be made by our local teams as conditions allow. In instances where technicians are able to enter into homes, and for everyone’s safety, we ask that you and anyone in your home wear a facial covering and maintain ten feet of social distancing while our techs work. Please be aware that in some states, masks are required to be worn by customers according to state mandates. Our technicians will practice social distancing by attempting to stay a minimum of ten feet away from everyone at all times where possible and will wear a facial covering." 

It sounds like you are one step ahead, with the appointment you scheduled at the store. Thanks for doing that! Let me know if you'd like me to review your account prior to your store visit, otherwise please update me with how it does. Thank you so much! Rest assured, we will get everything squared away for you.

Frequent Visitor

• 

15 Messages

5 m ago

Thanks again, yes I did get the two boxes named and "working" with the help of a phone tech (over an hour). They had to do something on their end because all of the resets I tried from my account didn't do anything. However, one of the boxes is pixelating and stuttering pretty badly. The old Arris RNG150N box (that was replaced) on that outlet didn't have that problem. My old Pace RNG110R was the one that failed. The new box there seems to work better. Yes, I replaced all of the cables I could reach, coax to the wall and HDMI to the TVs.

But, right now I'm dealing with the rest of my problem.  The first tech I spoke to (I've talked to 3) suggested I also replace my 3 old DC50Xu boxes, too, so he sent out 3 DC60Xu boxes. Failing to get those working I talked to another tech on the phone and she helped me "try" to install those. One never worked at all, one had problems with the remote and the other I didn't use enough to know if it had a problem or not but I put the old boxes back in.

About the time my RNG110R failed there was an outage notice, and then a notice about some ongoing issues, but for the past few days it says there are no problems. During the reported outage my other boxes worked just fine.

This afternoon I have an appointment to return the 3 new DC60 boxes to the local store. I hope to talk to someone there about my problems.

Maybe I can talk someone at the store into sending someone out to at least check things up to the house. Apparently, there's a no-inside service policy now because of covid. At least I think that's what the last phone tech said.

Phone support in general is good but unfortunately mine came from the Philipines and I struggled to understand half of what they said.

Official Employee

• 

2.5K Messages

5 m ago

That sounds perfect. You are very welcome! I will be on standby. I hope you have a very safe and happy holiday. Take care!

Frequent Visitor

• 

15 Messages

5 m ago

The store visit went as well as could be expected in these times. They will have a tech check the service outside & up to the house sometime after the holiday. Inside-the-house visits are currently "complicated" so we'll just have to take one step at a time. Thanks for the help and the offer, @ComcastMorgan. I will get back to you if I can't get this resolved locally.

New to the Community?

Start Here