travjen's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, December 31st, 2020 9:00 AM

Closed

X1 low signal strength

I have seen the low signal icon on my TV for months.  I have even switched X1 boxes, but am still seeing the low signal icon with the new X1 STB.  I have restarted the box multiple times, checked all of the cables for damage and made sure the connections are secure.  Do I need to have Comcast check the connection at the street?

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

You may possibly need a tech but I wouldn’t worry about it until you see issues. The x1 box has an interior modem and one or more of the channels that modem is reading may be out of spec. Things you can try yourself, make sure all the cables are tight and in good repair and remove any unnecessary splitters to add to signal strength. Swapping boxes is wasting your time

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

I lost the use of the X1 box the other night...gave me the 1PST display...tried all the usual, check cables, rebooting...etc...call tech support, which just went thru what I'd already done...scheduled at appointment...12 hours later, I noticed the error msg gone from the display, and the time was back. All worked OK..12 hours later, back cake the 1PST display, no internet service for the box (the internet itself and the phone always continued to work perfectly with high signal)...12 hours later and it's back working. I checked the signal strength on the box and it reads "low signal." Any idea what could be happening?  I have seen others with the 1PST problem, but none with the on/off/on/off situation.

Problem Solver

• 

1.1K Messages

Good morning, @hybucket. There are many things that could be causing this issue. May be some specs out of sync as mentioned in this thread already. I'd love to help look into this for you. Can you send me a PM with your name and address? 

To send a private message, please click on the chat icon on the top right next to the bell. Please make sure to send the message to our singular handle "Xfinity Support" and we will get back to you ASAP.

I no longer work for Comcast.

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

Hello ComcastKorie,

I've recently signed up for your TV service, having had internet for years.   I was given one of the XG1v4-A DVRs.   I am also seeing a "low signal" indicator when I got into the Comcast Labs  menu and check signal strength.  I get one bar in red with the message "Low Signal".   I have a single line coming into the house that originally went to just my Arris cable modem.  With the addition of the cable tv DVR a splitter was placed in the incoming line and the signal split between the cable dvr and the modem.   I have no problems at all with the internet service.  My 200mbps service regularly shows numbers over 200.   With the passive splitter the DVR would complain of a poor connection when trying to set up.  Restarting it and letting it run its setup again would get it to run to completion.  
I replaced the passive splitter that I got from the Xfinity store when I picked up the DVR with an Arris powered splitter, and the results (low signal on the DVR indicator) were still the same. 
At the suggestion of the Xfinity store, we swapped out the DVR for another one, but the results are the same. 
Good news is that the DVR appears to work just fine.  No missing channels or guide issues, sync'd recordings are all there and play back fine.   So, in that respect it appears the DVR is working properly, but the low signal issue bothers me.
I know how to access the menus that show many of the DVR box's parameters but I have no reference for what numbers are good or bad in regard to power and SNR. 
I suppose one possibility is that the signal coming into the house is low, but I've never had issues in the past with just the internet service, and I have no way of measuring that signal.   Maybe a tech needs to look at the feed where it comes to the house?
Any suggestions you could offer would be appreciated.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

Post the numbers that you see. The numbers could be low or high by just a decimal point to register a signal issue

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

Lots of numbers, which ones would be applicable to troubleshooting this?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here