rschap1's profile

Contributor

• 

120 Messages

Monday, January 6th, 2020 9:00 AM

Closed

X1 box HDMI arc compatible?

I received a Vizio soundbar recently. I am trying to set it up with my TV and my X1 box/dvr. I haven't had any sucess in getting it set up the way I thought it would be best. The TV is an older Insignia https://www.insigniaproducts.com/pdp/NS-32L550A11/9588387 The soundbar is a Vizio https://support.vizio.com/s/article/SB3651-E6-Model-Information-EXT?language=en_US Even after reading the manuals and now searching the forums here, I am not much better off. No matter what combonation or direction(s) I string HDMI cables, I am not able to get things set up. I wasn't sure if the TV and/or some of the cables were actually "ARC" compatible. Since the soundbar is equipped with Smart cast and apps, I have been hoping to get it set up correctly in order to use it as more than just a speaker for the X1 box which is all I have been able to do so far using the old fashioned RCA cables for component inputs into the bar. Searching the forums I see a lot of issues with using ARC and the X1, some older and some recent. Is this something I can do? Do I need a newer different X1 box? Do I need a newer TV with different connections? I think I have tried about every possible connection so far, HDMIs in many conigurations, the digital optical cable, and as last resort the RCA component cables. Wondering if anyone more experienced (smarter) than myself would have any help or advice? THANKS very much in advance ! ! ! 

Contributor

• 

120 Messages

5 years ago

I set the X1 at 720 and set up like mentioned, X1 to soundbar HDMI IN and sounbar's HDMI out to TV's HDMI 1. It works that way.

Going back and trying 1080/best available blacks the screen out.

Looks better than what I had before !!

I will have to try to play with the rest of the apps, streaming, and casting from the soundbar.

BIG THANKS ! ! 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 years ago

Finally, glad you got it going. Probably means your old tv isn’t capable above 720 or your soundbar isn’t.

Contributor

• 

120 Messages

5 years ago

If I select HDMI input on the soundbar it gets picture and sound.

If I select HDMI - ARC input on the soundbar, just picture, no sound.

Guessing that must tell me something, right?

TV isn't ARC compatible probably.

Contributor

• 

120 Messages

5 years ago

I will have to see if I can adjust the sound bar's video output.

THANKS for that also ! ! 

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@rschap1 wrote:

the soundbar may be HDMI 2.2 capable. if the TV is not then once the video starts (4k) the path will be interrupted usually within a few seconds. In this case set output to 1080p. The set top box will only see the attached 'code'  EDID. (extended display identification data). 

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

5 years ago

@rschap1 wrote:

Selecting HDMI ARC on the soundbar means it will expect audio from the return channel on its output HDMI port.    And if you are still talking about this TV: https://www.insigniaproducts.com/pdp/NS-32L550A11/9588387, the manual here says nothing about ARC: https://files.bbystatic.com/woY%2F09IUcmGsdRODxy%2By%2Bw%3D%3D

Contributor

• 

120 Messages

5 years ago

Guess it took me a long ways around it, but know now that the TV isn't ARC capable and I have another reason to update.

I found the paperwork for what I thought was my newer Sylvania TV and see I got it in 2009.

Not sure any more if the Insignia is really older or newer than that one, but can't be too much different.

I guess it is time.

Thanks for everyone's help, advice, and confirmations.

Especially the video output setting tip for the X1.

BIG HELP

Thanks

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here