rschap1's profile

Contributor

• 

120 Messages

Monday, January 6th, 2020 9:00 AM

Closed

X1 box HDMI arc compatible?

I received a Vizio soundbar recently. I am trying to set it up with my TV and my X1 box/dvr. I haven't had any sucess in getting it set up the way I thought it would be best. The TV is an older Insignia https://www.insigniaproducts.com/pdp/NS-32L550A11/9588387 The soundbar is a Vizio https://support.vizio.com/s/article/SB3651-E6-Model-Information-EXT?language=en_US Even after reading the manuals and now searching the forums here, I am not much better off. No matter what combonation or direction(s) I string HDMI cables, I am not able to get things set up. I wasn't sure if the TV and/or some of the cables were actually "ARC" compatible. Since the soundbar is equipped with Smart cast and apps, I have been hoping to get it set up correctly in order to use it as more than just a speaker for the X1 box which is all I have been able to do so far using the old fashioned RCA cables for component inputs into the bar. Searching the forums I see a lot of issues with using ARC and the X1, some older and some recent. Is this something I can do? Do I need a newer different X1 box? Do I need a newer TV with different connections? I think I have tried about every possible connection so far, HDMIs in many conigurations, the digital optical cable, and as last resort the RCA component cables. Wondering if anyone more experienced (smarter) than myself would have any help or advice? THANKS very much in advance ! ! ! 

Accepted Solution

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

5 years ago

I don't see any mention of ARC in the TV manual  from your link.  But, even if you leave that option out, you should be able to connect the X1 HDMI to the sound bar's HDMI in and the TV to it's HDMI out and make it work.   Only 4k equipment is going to have HDCP 2.2 so try locking the X1 box to 720p video and stereo audio to start (you can try other settings once you get both audio and video working together).  Connect the sound bar HDMI out to a TV port that you know works when the X1 box is connected directly.

Alternatively, connect the X1 box to the TV, and use digital optical out to the sound bar.  That will carry Dolby Digital 5.1 if you enable it on in the X1 box and the TV is able to pass it through (some older models would not.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 years ago

It’s just x1 box to sound bar to tv
Or x1 to soundbar to tv. Are you not getting sound at either of these settings? Is your soundbar on the proper input? Does your soundbar work with other components (dvd player, gaming system etc)?

Contributor

• 

120 Messages

5 years ago

If I run HDMI from X1 to soundbar's input, then soundbar out to TV, no picture.

X1 to tv, there is no TV HDMI out to run to soundbar, but I had hoped the optical audio would work, but no sound from soundbar using that way.

Tried any and all input settings on the soundbar many times each.

No other devices, just the X1, soundbar, and TV.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 years ago

Did you get sound the first way and just no picture? It’s possible it’s a handshake issue to the tv from soundbar. Without any other devices to check, You may want to work with soundbar manufacturer’s support first.

Contributor

• 

120 Messages

5 years ago

If I recall correctly...(it has been a few days and a LOT of combinations) I do believe that you are right, sound w/o picture initially. I have been searching the manual for the TV and soundbar, sent emails to both manufacturers, and both have forums that I searched also. Just not sure as of now and began to wonder if everything is actually compatible or if there is such a thing as HDMI without the ARC. THANKS for the help !!!

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2K Messages

5 years ago

I own two Vizio soundbars, an older SB4051-C0 and a newer Dolby Atmos supported SB3652-F6. 

If you still have the remote control for your soundbar, make sure to set the inputs correctly to make sure the sound plays back properly.  If you use the Optical cable, for instance, you need to select  Optical on the soundbar input. If you're using HDMI passthrough from the cable box to the soundbar to the TV, then the input should be set to HDMI on the soundbar. 

Contributor

• 

120 Messages

5 years ago

Appreciate that.

I do have the remote which has a small single line window on it's top end.

I have cycled through each of the inputs while trying the different set ups.

It did take me a few tries to realize that I had to also hit the "OK" button in the center of the remote's up/down/left/right central selector after getting to the desired input method.

But... even after choosing what I hope would work and "OK"ing it, still have not been able to get things hooked up.

I guess at this point I should try asking question(s) a little differently so I can decide what to try next.

Is there such a thing as HDMI that isn't ARC also?

Wondering if my TV is capable.

Wondering if there are HDMI cables that are not "ARC" compatible/capable.

The Vizio manual shows (in Advanced Set Up)to go to TV set up and "enable CEC and ARC (SAC) functions".

When I go to my TV's audio menu I do not have those options.

So that makes me wonder...

BUT...

Vizio manual in "Quick Set Up" also showed "Do not use HDMI IN for first time set up. See Advanced set up if you would like to connect HDMI devices..."

Well, of course, I initially had the HDMI cord plugged in prior to powering up for the first time.

I don't know if that messed up anything since I am thinking I have gone beyond "auto-detect" of input sources.

But after I did see that, I unplugged and powered everything down for awhile and tried again.

I did download the app to my phone and attempted control that way too, but same results.

BTW, ended up deleting the app since I could not get it to close no matter how I tried to exit on my phone.

Figured I would try again later and work on that down the road too.

But I am wondering what the "handshake" needed for the "ARC" to work consists of and how to make sure that happens if the TV has necessary function.

Again, thanks ! ! !

And The manual also shows a 

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

5 years ago

If your sound bar has one or more HDMI inputs and an HDMI output, that should work connecting the X1 to the input and the TV to the output, but it might not be compatible with 4k if you have the xg1v4 box or Xi6.

It should also work to connect the X1 to one of your TV inputs other than the ARC input, and connect the ARC input to the sound bar.  Not all TV's or audio devices support ARC, though, and some that do require settings to enable them.    If the TV has optical out, it should also work to use that to connect the audio device.  Again, it may take menu settings on the TV to enable it.

It might help to set your X1 audio output to 'stereo' to start.   There may be additional settings needed on the TV or sound bar to make them handle surround sound.  Once you have the basic connections working you can try to change to surround, although unless you have rear speakers it won't make much difference.

Contributor

• 

120 Messages

5 years ago

The soundbar has 1 HDMI in and 1 HDMI out is all.

Don't think that I have done anything with audio settings on the X1, will look at that when I get back at it.

Thanks again !!!

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Vizio soundbar problem - You might check if the soundbar is HDCP 2.2 compatible and if the source is sending HDCP 2.2 and looking for a reply to allow content to pass.        

Contributor

• 

120 Messages

5 years ago

Searching the TV's manaul it shows:

Include 1 composite video (rear), 1 S-video (rear), 1 component video (rear), 4 HDMI (side), 1 RF (rear), 1 PC audio (rear) and 1 PC (side).
Include 1 analog audio, 1 optical digital audio and headphone jack.
4 HDMI inputsHDMI cable not included. High-speed HDMI cable is the only connection that can deliver a full HDTV experience with a full 1080p picture and digital surround sound.
Lets you connect your computer to experience high-resolution images.

and

Says that the 4 HDMI inputs are HDCP compliant (no mention of 2.2) and E-EDID compliant.

No specs for outputs, all I see for the optical is SPDIF and it says to connect this for an audio amplification system.

The soundbar start up guide shows a digital optical cable and says it is "better", not "best" which is the HDMI ARC that runs from back of TV's HDMI #1 ARC to the soundbar's HDMI OUT ARC....

Still been trying a lot of combonations, but no luck yet.

I had pasted the links to the TV and Soundbar hoping someone more knowledgable than myself might be able to take a look and just tell me if the TV is too old or not properly equipped so I don't waste too much more time.

APPRECIATE the help and advice(s)
THANKS very much 🙂

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 years ago

I think it’s your tv that’s not HDCP compliant(because it’s older). All components attached need to be. Since you have no other equipment to test with, maybe take it to a friend’s and just test to see if the soundbar is working. It’s part of troubleshooting

Contributor

• 

120 Messages

5 years ago

Shouldn't the SPDIF connection from the TV run to the soundbar's optical digital input?

I have been thinking that should have any sound from the TV getting played through the soundbar when I select "optical" for the soundbar's input.

I have also ran HDMI from the X1 box to the TV's HDMI#2 port with HDMI cable from TV's #1 HDMI port to the soundbar's HDMI INPUT port.

Thinking that way with soundbar's HDMI input selction I should get whatever TV play's audio through soundbar AND if I want to stream anything from the soundbar's apps or cast anything from our phones to the soundbar to the TV.

Does anything I am doing or trying sound correct?

Again, all of this w/o knowing for sure if the TV itself or my cables allow any / all of this.

Are all HDMI cables ARC compatible?

THANKS ! ! 

Contributor

• 

120 Messages

5 years ago

Assuming that the soundbar is working as it is supposed to. Guessing that I am either missing some sort of step, like whatever it would take to get the TV and soundbar to "handshake", one of my HDMI cables is older and not capable of doing what I am trying, or the TV is too old and not capable.

Sooner or later will be replacing the TV, but hate to do it now just because I am not doing something correctly.

Some of the acronyms/definitions between the TV and it's manuals don't seem to "align" with the instructions in the soundbar.

Not being the most technically gifted when it comes to such things I hate to think how much more difficult I am making something simple.

Will try to see what else I can try later.

Again, all the help is apprecited !

Contributor

• 

120 Messages

5 years ago

I had thoughts of bringing my other TV upstairs to try it and see if any different. I thought it was newer and had more features than the Insignia that I have been writting about but after looking closer I am not so sure.

The other on is a Sylvania LC427SSX.

It has a lot of RCA connections, 3 hdmi ports, and USB.

The manual shows the HDMI ports as 19 pin.

Nothing in manual about ARC and no optical digital cable.

So I think I have even worse odds with this one

AND

this one has another X1 box, smart Blu Ray player, and kids' Xbox attached.

So alot for me to "configure" if I do move it.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here