primetime897's profile

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, October 11th, 2023 1:27 AM

Closed

Why is LIVE TV delayed 45 seconds?

I know this problem is heavily complained about and have no real answer, but I wanted to make sure my issue was recorded when there is hopefully some sort of lawsuit.

Why is the live broadcast on my cable box 45 seconds behind the Xfinity Stream app? And 1 minute behind ESPN live score updates? Friends watching games via streaming services text me game updates before I see the plays occur on my cable box.

• Xfinity is literally running a commercial during every football game this year about how their internet is so good that their streams aren't delayed 
  • This occurs on almost every channel. Some are more delayed than others. Local channels are affected the most. Fox right now is 45 seconds behind the Stream app
  • Xfinity Box: XG1v4-A
  • For comparison, I am streaming the game at the same time on my Apple TV 4k via Xfinity Stream. I am 45 seconds behind.
  • I have changed out the HDMI cables, both HDMI 2.1 and HDMI 2.0 versions. I have tried different HDMI inputs on my TV
  • I have done multiple system refreshes
  • This has been happening for 2-3 years w/ 2 separate Xfinity boxes. It has recently gotten worse though. 

Is there anything I can do locally until Xfinity maybe improves their connection between the channels and their customers?

Problem Solver

• 

722 Messages

7 months ago

It may have to do with the number of steps that the signal has to go through to get to your TV. If it's on Fox, there's also the seven-second delay to catch profanity.

You think 45 seconds is bad? That's still over a minute ahead of the SiriusXM streaming radio broadcast (not the one that comes directly from the satellite).

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Yes, I believe all live broadcasts (streaming and cable) on the main networks (Fox, NBC, CBS, ABC, etc) have that delay built in by the FFC for profanity. Especially seen during Will Smith at the Oscars?

But, Xfinity cable is 45 seconds longer than the built in FCC delay. 

For current real life comparison, I am currently 2 pitches behind on the Orioles-Rangers game on Fox.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Hello, @primetime897. Thanks for reaching our team on Forums regarding the the broadcast delay. I know the importance of seeing these games, especially during the playoff season. This happens to prevent mistakes or unacceptable content from being broadcasted. While this is super inconvenient, it is not uncommon to have delays. Each device may perform these functions differently. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Watching the Astros vs Rangers game last night on FS1 and it was 35-45 seconds behind. Restarted the box and nothing changed. Both my tv boxes had the delay. It is for sure a Xfinity issue. 

Every thread I have found has no solution. 

How can Directv using a satellite signal not have the delay but my hardwired Xfinity cable based tv service have it? Doesn't make sense. 

I just added make Xfinity tv because of price. I may have made a mistake.  

Contributor

• 

589 Messages

I had MSNBC on 1 box and CNN on another watching the House speaker vote. I found MSNBC was 30 seconds behind the 45 seconds delay of CNN

for a total delay of 1:15 on MSNBC.

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

722 Messages

@user_d224a2​ - the fact that, with DirecTV, it goes to the satellite, then directly to your TV, while with cable (I won't say "with Xfinity" as I am pretty sure all cable systems have this "problem"), it has to go through who knows how many hubs (for example, it has to know what channel number to broadcast it on) first, probably has something to do with it.

Contributor

• 

278 Messages

7 months ago

I noticed that my fantasy football live scoring is way ahead of what is happening on tv. Wondered about that

Contributor

• 

21 Messages

7 months ago

Can confirm that my Xfinity has a longer delay than it used to. I follow game threads often when watching sports and never had anything spoiled for me before until about a week ago when I started noticing other people were seeing things before me.

Contributor

• 

21 Messages

7 months ago

In fact, the Xfinity stream app is further ahead than my cable box. That's unacceptable.

7 months ago

This is so annoying, I’m sick of having things ruined for me by friends because of xfinitys terrible delays

i find myself quickly pulling up my stream up before big 3rd downs to see what happens sooner 

(edited)

Contributor

• 

21 Messages

7 months ago

Will give it a couple months to iron itself out. It only just started happening to me, but if it's permanent I'm switching to YouTube TV. No reason for me to pay extra and still have lag.

1 Message

7 months ago

This delay on a cable feed is unacceptable! It is 40 - 60 secs for live sports. I had DirectTV for past decade and never had that issue. Now past 5 months I've had Xfinity and every single game or live event I watched is ruined EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I can't go on social media now or watch with fantasy football apps or even talk with friends during games now. This is embarrassing and unacceptable. Yes I've tried alllllll the  troubleshooting, restarting boxes, remotes,, replacing hdmi and all cables and boxes. Nothing works, it's definitely an Xfinity issue and it's pretty pathetic that it can't be addressed! 

2 Messages

I've been with Comcast forever and this has only been getting worse! The Game today was what brought me here today to find out why... Unacceptable is correct! I've had other issues as of late and along with this, I'm about to jump ship. Hope you figure it out... Wish I knew why you left dtv because that's where I was going to go lol I may rethink that decision and look at all my options. 

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

7 months ago

I just had a technician come out and they completely replaced all the wiring. I have the same issue of the delays. We did find out that it looks like some channels are worse than others. Switching between FOX and FS1/ESPN. 

My boxes though have an overall delay of about 20-25 seconds. We compared the time on the box to our phones. When the time changed on the phone, we started the stop watch. When the Xfinity cable box time changed, we stopped. Consistent 20 second lag. The technician said they had never seen this before and there was nothing he knew that could be done to fix it. They tried to say different devices do time differently. I agree this can be true. Computer compared to a phone compared to a TV. However, there a few seconds would make sense. 20+ seconds means there is a delay coming from Xfinity to the cable box. 

It isn't very fun when you are watching baseball and you are getting updates about 2 pitches ahead. Will ruin sporting events.  But from the sound of things, there will be no solution. 

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

@user_d224a2 I can understand the frustration, the delays can depend on the network and how you are watching the game. It sounds like our expert technician was thorough in making sure there were no issues with the signals coming to the home. We do appreciate the update.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

1 Message

No reason to not cut the cord if live sports are delayed. Unacceptable Xfinity 

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@XfinityBillie​ Delays are on all channels. Not just one network or the other. Delay also happens on movie channels. We tested it out. It is the Xfinity signal that causing the delay. The picture may come through perfect but the signal to the boxes is not. 

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

@user_d224a2  Thank you for clarifying that this isn't limited to sports channels. Since you have had a technician out I'd like to get a look at the account itself. Please send us a DM to Xfinity Support with your full name and address. 

To send a direct message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
Click the "Direct Message" icon or  https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging
Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there.
As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list.
An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.
Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
Press Enter to send it

Official Employee

• 

959 Messages

@user_86psie Good morning! We appreciate you reaching out to our Community Forums Team for assistance. I can see how a delay in live TV would be frustrating, and is designed to have a delay. Are you experiencing this issue as well? I'm happy to take a closer look, and see what the next step would be to getting this issue resolved for you. Before we begin, can you please provide any troubleshooting steps you have already tried? 

1 Message

7 months ago

There’s no excuse for sporting events to be delayed like this. It’s ridiculous how far behind the cable viewing is when sports alerts are going off a minute before you’re able to see it on your screen. I’m surprised Xfinity hasn’t come up with a way to add a surcharge for true “live” tv. Some would be willing to pay for it.

2 Messages

I be on the lookout for this charge, because you know it's coming lol

I wish I knew where the grass was greener! 

Official Employee

• 

514 Messages

Thank you so much for reaching out to us here on the community, @user_cxtb5h! I am sorry to hear about the troubles with the delays, are you experiencing it only with Live Sports or is it every show on those channels?

1 Message

6 months ago

The delay got much worse this year.  I've noticed it for a few channels in the past but now it's almost every channel.  Channels like NFL Red Zone are a good 2 minutes behind other broadcasts of the game.

1 Message

Seems like everybody has the issue that has Xfinity.   I am sure Xfinity knows about it at higher levels and probably does not care about resolving.  Service has gone from bad to worse over the years. Offshore people try to schedule trouble shooting appointments then schedule it as new installation in order to [EDIT: Inflammatory]. 

(edited)

1 Message

6 months ago

This problem has definitely gotten worse this year. Today's games were over 45 seconds behind streaming on the xfinity app and over a minute delayed from the betting sites. Have had so many games ruined this year by group chats and or ESPN update alerts coming in before we see it. The delay to the stream is that bad across all stations with some variation. But we can all guarantee they will be raising their prices with no fix in site.

Official Employee

• 

480 Messages

@schulki2 Hello, I am happy to be of assistance. Can you please send us a DM. You can start by clicking the chat icon located in the top right corner of your forums' page when signed in. Once there, you can direct your messages to "Xfinity Support." Please add your full name and service address to help us locate your account. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

6 months ago

Xfinity is running commercials talking about this exact same thing. That they are faster and other companies have delays. It is a total lie. Directv has no delays. Xfinity has horrible delays. False Advertising at its finest. 

Official Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

Hello user_d224a2! Thanks for reaching out and letting us know you're also experiencing delay issues. I absolutely understand your concerns and my team is here to support you. For troubleshooting purposes, is this only occurring during live sports games or across the board on your end? 

1 Message

6 months ago

I have the same issue and it is unacceptable, all sporting events are + - 60 seconds delayed, if there is no fix, I will be canceling my service

5 Messages

6 months ago

The delay is ridiculous, I'll get a text about wow what a great catch 2 plays later it'll happen. Probably just another way comcast will try to add more $ to the bill to "Upgrade". God forbid if I delayed my payment to them. Price keeps going up but service and cable gets worse. This problem needs to be fixed.

Retired Employee

• 

252 Messages

If it's on a broadcast network, it will typically be seen by an antenna user first. There will always be some delay in retransmission as it's channeled through multiplexers that compress and combine multiple channels into one QAM frequency which is in turn sent to your cable box.. Different boxes may have slight differences, too. A true DVR may further delay a second or so due to the internal signal buffer.

Contributor

• 

278 Messages

6 months ago

Noticed in the past that my fantasy football site was a little ahead of the actual tv coverage but this year seems a lot worse. Can't watch my scoreboard unless I want to know what happens before the tv shows it. Pretty messed up

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here