m3driver's profile

Contributor

• 

35 Messages

Tuesday, April 2nd, 2024 10:07 PM

Using my X1 box in 2 locations

I have a home in Tucson, AZ with Xfinity Internet and TV with an X1 DVR + 3 Xi5 boxes 

In Glenview, IL I have a condo we go to for the summer this location has Xfinity Internet.

Can I take my X1 DVR to the condo, plug it in and receive service?

Official Employee

• 

740 Messages

4 months ago

m3driver That is a great question. If your condo just has internet services, then the DVR will not work there as the tap for the cable is off. You would need to add cable service to your condo address in order to use cable equipment. If you do that, then you would need a new cable box/DVR as your Tucson DVR will be coded for that address/account. 

Contributor

• 

35 Messages

Thanks for the reply. There is a splitter where the cable enters the condo and one of the taps runs to a connector next to the TV. But, it's a poor policy that limits the geographical location of the cable box. If I take my box across town it will work there (I did that when my MIL was in a nursing home but only had basic service) I pay over $200 a month for the box and it will sit idle for 5 months while you want me to pay another $200+ for a second box which, in turn, will then sit idle for 7 months! All my streaming service subscriptions work seamlessly anywhere in the country, my cable subscription should too.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Thank you so much for this information. Each account will need to use their own equipment. You can always use the Xfinity Stream App and watch all your recordings and your favorite shows that area available for you to stream. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here