U

Sunday, April 14th, 2024 5:16 PM

TV Box IP Address changes every second

I recently activated comcast internet and TV service. I use my own internet network equipment, and it worked fine previously on a separate Comcast account at the same address for years. The new account came with a new TV box that no longer uses a physical coax connection for service, and instead is wirelessly connected via WiFi (so, an Xfinity branded streaming box).

The TV box has had issues since day 1. These issues continued to get worse day by day. Eventually, I had a technician come to my house. He said that my "modem" is the problem. I knew there is absolutely 0% chance this is the problem, but he refused to replace the TV box.

I replaced and upgraded my cable modem. I went from a model on the approved list, to a newer model on the same approved equipment list. Surprise, no improvement, and the TV box has the same exact issues as before.

I've been considering upgrading my home network so I took this as a good opportunity. I now have a higher-end network setup from Ubiquiti. It gives me more insight into my network. I can now see that the Xfinity/Comcast TV box is changing its IP address about every second. My network (router) assigns it an IP address that makes total sense for my network, and then from what I can tell the Comcast box is deciding that it wants to use a local link IP address. My network keeps reassigning it the proper IP for the network, and they argue back and forth endlessly.

The good news is, that in a few hours of testing, it appears my new network is able to handle the TV box doing something it shouldn't. Nonetheless, I can now see that YES the TV box equipment is misbehaving and my network is not the issue. How can I get Xfinity to send me a replacement TV box like I originally requested? I do not want a technician sent here who can't identify issues that a homeowner can on their own. I would LOVE to have the older style that is physically wired into a coax cable connection, instead of another one of these wireless streaming boxes. Seriously, if someone wanted the performance of streaming services they would go to a streaming service company, not the cable company that can provide reliable wired performance.

Accepted Solution

2 Messages

5 months ago

It appears I've been able to resolve this. For anyone dealing with the same issue, here's what I had to do.

Setup VLANs on the network, with separate PSK's. Ensure none use the old PSK that the Xfinity box knows!
Reboot the Xfinity box (yes, I'm sure like me you've done this a million times).
connect the Xfinity box to your network like it's a brand new network, with a PSK you assigned to VLAN for untrusted devices.

I believe it was simply the new WiFi network that solved the issue for the X1 box, however, it should be noted that my firewall settings are blocking things like you would do for untrusting IOT devices. Your firewall for trusted devices can still be set to allow your trusted devices (phone, etc.) to communicate to the X1 box so that you can use things like phone app control or whatever it is you like.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here