bocmoc's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, December 1st, 2020 12:00 PM

Closed

T.V. Audio Default resets to Spanish without any explanation

I am worn out from this.  My mother's t.v., at least once a month, suddenly has no sound on some of the stations.  Xfinity resends the signals, they monkey remotely with it and then finally say:  We need to send a technician.  The first time they said this, I took time off from work to meet the technician at my mother's house.  Took him less than 5 minutes.  He went into settings, showed me where the audio was set to Spanish instead of Default Language, reset it and now all of the stations worked and had sound...in English.  He said that if it is set to Spanish, then if it is a station that doesn't have the ability to broadcast in Spanish there is zero sound because the system doesn't know what to do.  He said it is a known issue at Xfinity and they have no explanation as to what causes the box to reset on it's own to Spanish.  That service call cost me $70.00 (I am disputing it).  I was told that the Xfinity customer service technical support team ( the 800 number you call) has two steps that they are supposed to follow.  1.  Refresh the box signal.  If that doesn't work, then 2.  Check the audio setting and remotely reset it to the appropriate language.   Let me assure you, when you call tech support there is no one who knows how to reset the language remotely.   My mother is too elderly to understand how to go into the settings every time this happens , so I drive to her home which is nowhere close to where I live and via the remote control go in and reset the audio from Spanish to either the default language or English.  Either one seems to work once selected.  Then all of the channels work again.  By the way, no one in tech support was able to tell me how to find the settings area, only the technician that they sent to the house.  For me, on the remote control it is under the Xfinity button, then main menu, then set up, then audio.  If it is set on Spanish, you have to go to the box under language and switch it to "no" and then arrow up to the box above and change the language.    I hope that this explanation saves you a $70.00 service call.     I don't understand why I continue to pay so much money for service that is so abysmal.  Xfinity for cable is the only game in town and my mom needs to have t.v.     I wish that Xfinity would pay me for gas, time off and aggravation.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@bocmoc wrote:

I am worn out from this.  My mother's t.v., at least once a month, suddenly has no sound on some of the stations.  Xfinity resends the signals, they monkey remotely with it and then finally say:  We need to send a technician.  The first time they said this, I took time off from work to meet the technician at my mother's house.  Took him less than 5 minutes.  He went into settings, showed me where the audio was set to Spanish instead of Default Language, reset it and now all of the stations worked and had sound...in English.  He said that if it is set to Spanish, then if it is a station that doesn't have the ability to broadcast in Spanish there is zero sound because the system doesn't know what to do.  He said it is a known issue at Xfinity and they have no explanation as to what causes the box to reset on it's own to Spanish.  That service call cost me $70.00 (I am disputing it).  I was told that the Xfinity customer service technical support team ( the 800 number you call) has two steps that they are supposed to follow.  1.  Refresh the box signal.  If that doesn't work, then 2.  Check the audio setting and remotely reset it to the appropriate language.   Let me assure you, when you call tech support there is no one who knows how to reset the language remotely.   My mother is too elderly to understand how to go into the settings every time this happens , so I drive to her home which is nowhere close to where I live and via the remote control go in and reset the audio from Spanish to either the default language or English.  Either one seems to work once selected.  Then all of the channels work again.  By the way, no one in tech support was able to tell me how to find the settings area, only the technician that they sent to the house.  For me, on the remote control it is under the Xfinity button, then main menu, then set up, then audio.  If it is set on Spanish, you have to go to the box under language and switch it to "no" and then arrow up to the box above and change the language.    I hope that this explanation saves you a $70.00 service call.     I don't understand why I continue to pay so much money for service that is so abysmal.  Xfinity for cable is the only game in town and my mom needs to have t.v.     I wish that Xfinity would pay me for gas, time off and aggravation.

when this happens and you press the down button while viewing live TV are any of the round circles on the bottom left shown with a check box?

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Wow, I came across this post and wondered when I wrote it? My mother, who's 88, has this same exact issue. We had a tech come out, he did the same thing (although we were not charged-Hartford, CT) and it worked okay for a few days. Then bam-it went back to Spanish for certain shows-no sound for others. I then have to drive there, 35 miles each way, reset the language and never know how long it will work okay. Once it changed back within an hour or two, other times it works okay for a couple of weeks. The technician has no clue as to why this happens but said multiple people have this issue. The reps I get on the phone don't even seem to understand what I'm telling them-useless. I should start billing Comcast for my time, gas and wear & tear on my vehicle. This is obviously an issue that Comcast has done absolutely nothing to resolve. 

Administrator

• 

658 Messages

Hey @Rock1961 we're of course more than happy to help out, though we need a little more information. A lot of programs have Secondary Audio Programming (SAP) built in, which is the most common culprit for stations mysteriously switching languages.

Does Mom have an X1 cable box, or is she using an older style cable box (one we call Legacy). I'll include links below regarding SAP as well. It can be pretty easy to hit a button and accidentally turn it on--my grandfather who recently passed had some motor function issues and was consistently hitting the D-button and switching languages in error (or pressing the C button and launching the Sports App a bit). We actually offer large button accessible remotes in these types of situations, though they are, in fact--quite large.

Large Button Remote

Front of XFINITY large button remote.

Find Programs with Secondary Audio Programming on X1

Manage Audio Mode with X1

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here