U

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, June 25th, 2024 1:16 PM

Switching cable boxes to 4K

Hi, we have 3 Xfinity cable boxes. We have 2 new 4K tv's with satellite boxes. The main cable box is connected to an older 1080 set. Would I need to replace all 3 cable boxes? Or just the 2 boxes that are connected to the 4K sets? Thanks!

Problem Solver

• 

359 Messages

3 months ago

We have four boxes, two 4K XG1v4 DVRs and two of the little satellite boxes.  So, you can definitely mix and match, but not sure how Xfinity decides which box is the "main" one.  

Contributor

• 

107 Messages

When I had 2 of the WIRED (DVR) boxes, recordings and playback of DVR shows were constantly being bumped to the cloud or otherwise screwy.

At this point, I would limit the house to one 1 of the wired (DVR) boxes - and do wireless for the rest

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@BIslander​ Thank you!

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@westwayneguy88888​ Thank you!

Official Employee

• 

893 Messages

3 months ago

Hello, @user_c3e261 thank you for taking time to create a post. You've contacted the right place for assistance, and I definitely want to help answer your questions so you can enjoy the best quality picture on your new 4K TV's. Here is a great article that goes over 4K content and the set-top boxes needed. : https://www.xfinity.com/support/store-selector

Based on the information you have provided, the main set-top box would need to be upgrade to a 4K DVR box as all the other equipment in the house receives their broadcast signal from that piece of equipment. For any secondary 4K TVs the wireless 4K boxes would be sufficient if you don't need 2 DVRs in the home. The best option for you would be to have the main set-top box attached to one of the 4K TVs, get the 4K wireless for the 2nd 4K TV. Move one of your current secondary boxes to the 1080 TV, then return the old main cable box and the box the other 4K box is replacing. 

With having to return 2 boxes with the replacements, the easy way is to check if there is a local Xfinity Store in the area, set up an appointment to save time, then take the 2 boxes with you to swap out: https://www.xfinity.com/support/store-selector. There are some great walkthrough articles on activating your getting started kit on our website: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/how-to-install-your-self-install-kit-devices.  

We can also ship out equipment, but wanted to set up the proper expectations that there can be a shipping and handling charge when processing orders. Once you receive the shipped equipment, there are a few great options to chose from for equipment return: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/returning-your-equipment. If you need to swap equipment out, and want to place an order to ship please let me know. 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Thanks for the information! Due to our house's wired cable set-up, it will be simplest for us to swap out all three boxes (main set-top and 2 satellites) and replace them with 4K boxes. I understand that there would be some charges for shipping out the new boxes, but how would we make arrangements to do this?

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

We can help you get those boxes set up for shipping. Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? Our team can most definitely take a further look at this issue.

To send a "Direct Message":
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Direct Message chat" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send it

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Thanks! I’ve been out of town, but am sending a DM now to Xfinity Support.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here