savsan's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, February 23rd, 2020 3:00 PM

Closed

Static Poor Picture and Extremely Loud Static Noise When First Turn ON

Hi -

When the cable box and TV are initially turned on (has to be off for at least 2 hours), there is loud static and very fuzzy picture. The remote locks up and doesn't allow the box to be turned off. After 20 to 30 seconds the TV turns off then back on. Any suggestions?

The TV has a very static looking picture, but what makes it worse, is the static sound that is at the highest volume even though I leave the volume extremely low or even set at 0. I cannot even turn off the TV at this point even with the TV (not cable) remote. Then after about 20 to 30 seconds, the TV shuts off then turns back on with a very brief static noise and then everything (picture and sound) is okay.

Everything was working fine until past few months. No changes with TV or cable box. Thinking it might have to do with X1 firmware changes and the timing when the signal is sent to TV while it is doing the HDMI/HDCP handshake (taking too long) and that is what we are seeing and hearing.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Accepted Solution

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

I was able to finally diagnose the exact location of the problem.  It was the TV’s Main Control Board. There were fractures in the solder joint.  A cold solder joint had to be reflowed.

I thought the culprit was the cable box. It was a coincidence Xfinity was making changes to the firmware when this problem happened.  That led me in another direction. I went to the Xfinity store and the rep told me I probably had a virus in my gateway (router) which seemed very unlikely.

Next, I removed the back of the TV and examined all the circuit boards. There were some bulged capacitors (bad caps) on 2 of the integrated circuit boards (not the main control board.) I replaced all the blown capacitors. Put everything back together and the TV worked fine for 3 weeks and then the problem showed up again.

I found a video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgy4Tiy0auQ, which described the problem, circuit board, and fix; be sure to expand the video description for some good information.

To verify it before another attempt, I used a hairdryer to warm up the location on the back of TV. I just kept the hairdryer on that area for about 30 seconds. Then I turned on the TV and the problem did not occur.  So now I was ready to work on the TV and re-solder those capacitors/integrated circuits mentioned in the video.  So far, so good.

Hopefully this is helpful.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Did you resolve this? I’m having exact same issue.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@Clapp2u wrote:
Did you resolve this? I’m having exact same issue.

that is the audio 'sink' (TV or sound Bar/receiver) issue.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here