mnliving1's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Friday, October 2nd, 2020 12:00 PM

Closed

Splitter/amplifier question

I currently have xfinity gigabit internet and phone service, looking to add X1 tv service. Between the ground block cable and the coax entering the house there is a POE filter with a sticker that says Do Not Remove, needed for DVR service. My 2 questions are (1) if I add a Commscope amplifier/splitter outside, to split the incoming signal between internet/phone and tv, does the new amplifier/splitter need to have a MoCA filter (model CSMAPDU9VP), or is the non-MoCA model (CSAPDU9VP) sufficient because there is already a POE filter outside? and (2) if I get the MoCA model, do I still keep the current POE filter attached outside?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

You don’t need to do anything with the moca filter. It’s good right where it’s at, as long as it’s before all cable connections, and you won’t need another

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

No not at all. The moca filter is there to keep your services in and neighbors out. The problem would be if you had a cable outlet between first moca filter and amplifier. All your cable outlets should be fed off the amp and don’t use the voip port for video cable outlets or with a Comcast gateway if you have a wireless cable box

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you. If I add the amplifier/splitter that has the MoCA filter, will it interfere at all with the POE filter that is already there? In other words, even if I don't need another filter, will it cause any issues if I use the MoCA amplifier along with the existing POE filter?

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

So If I do get a wireless cable box to use with the gateway then the gateway goes into one of the non-VoIP splitter outputs instead? Will this cause any issues with the internet speed, etc?

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

I understand that the modem gateway would typically plug into the voip output on the splitter, but if I get a wireless x1 tv box, does the internet/phone modem then have to be plugged into one of the non-voip outputs?

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

the voip is also for your gateway so a power failure will not remove power from your gateway/modem (so it will work if you have it on a battery or UPS).

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@mnliving1 wrote:
I understand that the modem gateway would typically plug into the voip output on the splitter, but if I get a wireless x1 tv box, does the internet/phone modem then have to be plugged into one of the non-voip outputs?

The MoCA will indeed 'leak' to that port. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Moca will not “leak” to the voip port, and the voip port has a 6db loss in cable signal while the others have none. The voip port is basically an internal two way splitter

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@CCAndrew wrote:
Moca will not “leak” to the voip port, and the voip port has a 6db loss in cable signal while the others have none. The voip port is basically an internal two way splitter

A few years ago, I called and talked to a commscope engineer re: MoCA splitters when a question came up about which 'end' to use for the longest runs. The engineer confirmed all but the power-only coax connector  (9 ports) get the moca leakage, the group of coax connectors on the 'input' end have stronger MoCA leakage and work better for the longer 150-250 feet runs. that 'end' of the amplifier is connected to the 2nd board inside the unit and that is why the leakage signal is a bit weaker on the far end of the unity amplifier from the cable in connector.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here