tee-e-one
Rousing Reactor
Expressive Exchange
Stamp of Approval

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

Thu, Sep 17, 2020 2:00 PM

Recordings can only be paused for 10 minutes?

When did this start?

Responses

Accepted Solution

andyross

Silver Problem Solver

• 

6.9K Messages

8 m ago

Another possible difference is if it's a true DVR recording, or a Cloud DVR recording. When paused, just look to see if there is a cloud icon next to the "DVR" text above the timebar.

andyross

Silver Problem Solver

• 

6.9K Messages

8 m ago

Was it a DVR recording or OnDemand? OnDemand typically does have a timeout.

CTHusky72

Contributor

• 

21 Messages

8 m ago

I have also seen this happen. Screen saver stays on but the paused playback goes away (I can tell because the sound from Live TV starts playing).

tee-e-one

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

8 m ago

DVR.

tee-e-one

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

8 m ago

A quick (20 minutes+) experiment would seem to indicate that the 10 minute pause limit seems to apply to Cloud DVR recordings only.  But that brings up another question...  How do I control which programs are recorded to which DVR (local or cloud)?  A scan of my recent recordings shows that, of 3 recordings, 2 were recorded to local and 1 to the cloud.  The reason I ask is that, if I record something that I want to save for a long time, I would want it in the cloud so that, if I had to swap out DVR boxes (in case of failure, upgrade, etc.), my recordings would be saved whereas short-term recordings, I could care less about since I watch them and delete them.  I looked through Xfinity's Cloud DVR description and have, as yet, been able to find out what determines which recordings go where.

andyross

Silver Problem Solver

• 

6.9K Messages

8 m ago

Unless you max out your cloud recording limit, anything recording locally is also available on the cloud.

Generally, a DVR will end up with a cloud recording if there is a signal or other communication issue during the recording, or if you are recording an IP channel. The DVR can only directly record QAM channels.

How do you know if a channel is IP? No obvious way. If you have HDMI audio mode set to Expert, I have noticed that it uses DD+ audio. But, you may need a separate A/V receiver to check. Also, they currently will be 1000+ channels that are NOT available in the sub-1000's. Most commonly, they are HD versions of otherwise SD-only, and a few newer channels.

New to the Community?

Start Here