U

Friday, September 29th, 2023 8:51 PM

Closed

Recording limit

Customer tried to record the Ryder Cup.  It was 12 hours long.  She only has 8 hours and it stopped recording.  Is there a limit on how long of a show can be recorded and is there a feature that she can use to record for longer periods of time? 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

11 months ago

I had the same problem. I couldn't believe last 4 hours didn't record

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Greetings, @user_a79d1f and @user_3512a9 I hope your week has been treating you well. Thanks so much for taking a moment out of your busy day to leave a post on our community forum about this recording issue. You have definitely come to the right place for assistance.

I have been researching this issue in the background, trying to see if there were any guidelines or restriction in place, when it comes to the length of a single DVR recording. There are plenty of resources that cover total recording limits and recording retention limits, but the only clue I could find regarding the length of a single recording was in our Manual Recording Guide (https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-set-a-manual-recording-for-a-channel).

That article mentions the maximum duration of a single recording can be up to 7 hours, and any recording can be extended for up to 90 minutes, which gives you a maximum total duration of 8.5 hours. That may be due to the storage and retrieval system programmed in to the X1 operating system, but it would be helpful to know for sure.

I reached out to our advanced support team to see if anyone could confirm or clarify the exact duration limits, and I will post a new response here if someone gets back to me in the next few days. I know a 12-hour event like the Ryder Cup is relatively rare, but it would be helpful to have a concrete answer, so you can plan accordingly next time something like this occurs.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here