U

Friday, July 26th, 2024 7:26 PM

Pixelation Problems on my tv

This is sad....all this money us customers have to pay for our cable and we can't even watch live television because it's pixelating. I'm trying to watch the opening ceremony of the Olympics but I can't even read the words let alone see who's country are on the boats/yachts. Even the audio is skipping with the pixelating. This is my favorite time of any year is to watch the summer games smh. It's the network from Xfinity and theirs nothing a tech can come out here to do about it. We've been down this road before. I guess I'll be watching the Olympics like this..It is so disappointing. Changes will be made with cable provider very soon. 

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

1 month ago

user_yebg98 Thanks for posting on our community forums. I'm sorry to hear about the pixelation issues you have been experiencing. We'd like to help make this right. Have you completed any self-troubleshooting steps such as rebooting the TV box manually or through the Xfinity App? Did you check the coaxial connection on both ends (wall plate and TV box) to make sure it's tight? 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

1 month ago

We have the same pixelation problem. The Giants game on the NBC Sports Bay Area channel was unwatchable today (Sunday) on our TV. A message from Comcast says they see no problem with our connection. We have an appointment on Tuesday for a technician to come and check things out. 

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Hi there @gs_7207. I am sorry to hear that you have been having troubles with NBC Sports. I see that you mentioned you had a tech visit. How did it go? How is the service doing now? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

2 Messages

1 month ago

I am having the same trouble. The internet is also going in and out also.

2 Messages

I am going to change me internet provider but unfortunately I need the cable for my TiVo.

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

We are glad to take a look at this for you @user_y8oya5.  Please feel free to shoot us a private message so that we can get started.  

To send a "direct message" / "private message" message to Xfinity Support:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Message" icon or https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging 

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there

•  As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list

•  An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send it

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Tiling/pixelating has been a reported problem across the country for years. By now you would think that Comcast would have a dedicated site to address concerns and questions from customers.  
We’ve experienced the problem off and on for a couple of years. I’ve wasted many hours on the phone or messaging with Comcast. The response has always been to restart the modem/router or set top box, make sure all cables are secured tightly, etc., etc.  with zero improvement. 
The problem actually comes and goes with varying degrees of pixelated audio and video. The worst incidents seem to occur during “heavy traffic” hours like 5pm-7pm or 11am-1pm. And it only occurs on the local Portland affiliates for ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, etc. All other channels are fine. 
I’m still researching the forums to see if anyone has received a satisfactory solution from Comcast. 

Official Employee

• 

2K Messages

Hello, user_35ddbe! Thank you for all of the information about the local channels tiling. I am sorry to hear that has been happening and will get to the bottom of this. Since you tried various troubleshooting steps and nothing helped, have you tried replacing the TV box or having a technician visit? 

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

The current TV box is a replacement for the previous one in an attempt to correct the problem, which did not help.

I’ve tried to line up a technician before through “live chat” but kept getting asked to troubleshoot the system over and over before scheduling a technician. Just a bunch of wash, rinse and repeat so I more or less gave up. 
Over the weekend the pixelating became so bad that my wife was screaming at me to fire Comcast/Xfinity.

As mentioned, the issue comes and goes but is more prevalent during “high traffic” times. It started this afternoon about 4:45pm but was somewhat minor for a while but by 6:45pm it was full blown “couldn’t see a darn thing” on the screen. 
So, in an effort to calm my wife down, I thought I would try one more time using this forum to find a satisfactory solution before I decide to pull the plug. 
Thanks. 

1 Message

18 days ago

Since Xfinity upgraded my moden I've the same problem. I changed boxes, I checked cables, etc. Maybe the new modem is not compatible with the boxes.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

18 days ago

We have been struggling with this pixelation/frozen image issues for months. I have called several times and they claim to fix it but then it comes back the next day or so. Now, thanks to their automated assistant I can spent an hour trying to get to someone to pick up where they left off after running through all those things again and again. There should be an easier way to get to a live technician, especially after calling in for the same problem. We have replaced the DVR and the HDMI cable. We have checked all the connections. We have rebooted and had them reset things. I really believe there is an issue with their equipment outside.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

JolietJammer Thank you for letting us know you are having issues getting continued support for your connection issues. You have reached out to the right team for help! If you could send our team a direct message with your full name, the name listed on the account (if different), and the service address associated with your account, I'd be more than happy to look into this for you. To send a Direct Message, please click on the chat icon in the top-right corner of the screen, next to the bell icon, and then type or select "Xfinity Support" to initiate a direct message.

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

14 days ago

It's been 3 days since Scott (Comcast tech) stopped by and worked with me on the pixelation/tiling issue and so far since then, zero pixelation.

We weren't experiencing any severe pixelation when he arrived, but I had a short video to show him. Immediately, he said that it was classic tiling and got busy looking for the reason. He already knew that it was happening on the local channels and explained the reason why is because of the narrow frequency band that is used for that group of channels. It's easy for them to overlap.

The first thing was to check the inside cable connections, and I don't mean just the connection at the wall outlet and the TV box but behind the wall plate where the outside cable comes to the room. He found that connection was loose. That's no surprise as it was installed 25 years ago and had never been checked. More importantly was the connector on that cable. He pointed out that it was unshielded which could allow radio signals in. This was common on those cables and considered adequate back then when all we had was basic cable. He cut that connector off and replaced it with a shielded one. Upstairs we found the same scenario and he did the same replacement. 

We then hit the outside box attached to the house. Again, all of the cables had the old, unshielded connectors. He found that the cables were very corroded and most likely caused from water leaking in. He had to cut them back a couple of inches to get to clean copper. He replaced all of those and while at it, he replaced both splitters which were also from that era. He also found a stray one-foot-long cable connected to a splitter and just hanging there. He said that piece of cable could act just like an antenna attracting rogue radio signals adding to the noise or interference. 

Once completed, he checked the signal several times a found no interference in the lines.

As mentioned, we were not experiencing any pixelating/tiling at that particular time so weren't able to determine if any one cable or more were causing the interference. Even if we had, it would have been prudent to go ahead and replace all of the old connectors. If one of them could be the culprit, then the rest were also capable of causing future problems. 

Scott said that he was more than 90% sure this would take care of the issues, but we would have to monitor the local channels to confirm. If we had any continuing problems, he said he would come out and take a look at the rest of the cable runs. I have kept an eye on the local channels throughout the last three days and so far, so good.

It took Scott about 20-30 minutes to complete all of the work. He lives not far from me, so it was great to have a tech that was not only familiar with the problem but with what local stations were involved. It allowed him to zero right in on the solution.

I'll repost if anything changes but for now, I'm totally satisfied with the results.

Official Employee

• 

791 Messages

@user_35ddbe we are so glad to hear of your experience with services after the visit from, Scott. Did you have any additional questions in relation to your services or account that we could address for you at this time?

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

14 days ago

To XfinityMarcus: I have no additional questions or concerns at this time. I will continue to monitor to ensure that it is indeed resolved. 
I do ask that Xfinity share this information throughout your company.
I’ve seen many posts on these forums from around the country going back years. They spoke of many frustrating experiences trying to find a solution. I never saw a single mention of the older unshielded connecters on the cables coming from the outside box.

It was the very first thing the tech looked at and was such a simple fix.  

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

@user_35ddbe We truly appreciate you providing that feedback here on Xfinity Forums in case anyone else runs into a similar issue! I love Xfinity Forums for this reason as it is a great resource for getting to the bottom of any concerns. 

Please feel free to reach out through this platform if you have any additional issues in the future. We are here to help 7 days a week! Have a wonderful rest of your weekend now that you can get back to enjoying your services. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here