ChrisW67's profile

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

Mon, Jan 4, 2021 3:00 PM

Our X1 is screen tearing

We noticed some screen tearing on our television whenever there was quick motion on the TV. This issue only occurs when we are watching cable and not when on streaming services. We switched the inputs and networks several times and even got an entirely new TV but the issue persisted, making us believe it’s an issue with our cable box (which we also traded in once). We simply have no idea how to fix it. Any tips?

Responses

Rustyben

Expert

• 

24K Messages

5 m ago

@ChrisW67 wrote:
We noticed some screen tearing on our television whenever there was quick motion on the TV. This issue only occurs when we are watching cable and not when on streaming services. We switched the inputs and networks several times and even got an entirely new TV but the issue persisted, making us believe it’s an issue with our cable box (which we also traded in once). We simply have no idea how to fix it. Any tips?

only on local broadcast channel? all cable channels are "P" (progressive) meaning each image shown is an entire image. broadcast local channels are broadcast in 'i"(interlace) where the image is broken into frames with movement between frames and no clear image is available of that movement. you can google 'progressive vs interlace' to see examples. or google 720p vs 1080i

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

5 m ago

The issue occurs on both broadcast and cable channels. It is most notable when watching live sports, where there is a lot of sudden side-to-side camera movement. We also see a lot of distortion in anything where there are lots of quick cuts or strobing effects. And we only get it on our newest 4K TV, which is hooked to our main X1 box (non 4K). Other TVs using small boxes are fine.
Rustyben

Expert

• 

24K Messages

5 m ago

@ChrisW67 wrote:
The issue occurs on both broadcast and cable channels. It is most notable when watching live sports, where there is a lot of sudden side-to-side camera movement. We also see a lot of distortion in anything where there are lots of quick cuts or strobing effects. And we only get it on our newest 4K TV, which is hooked to our main X1 box (non 4K). Other TVs using small boxes are fine.

go to your settings screen on the X1 set top box and go to device settings. is it set to 1080i ? if so change to 1080p

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

5 m ago

We see tearing at 1080i, 1080p and 720p. It seems the only difference we see is that the tear seems to work it’s way from the top of the screen to the bottom faster at 1080i.

New to the Community?

Start Here