margaretr1's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, April 22nd, 2023 6:13 PM

Closed

Legacy Box vs X1

​My first reaction upon seeing the picture coming from my new X1 box was disbelief. The colors were dark & murky, completely a throwback from the Dynamic picture I loved with Legacy. I tried for 2 days adjusting every setting like backlight, color, sharpness, etc. All to no avail.​

​Then I turned to the YouTube gurus and the Internet gum-beaters hoping to gain some insights. One of them said switching your tv screen to 1080p might fix or improve picture quality. Otherwise, not much else would fix it. Now, I at least had something to go on. Somehow I stumbled upon how to set my tv to 1080p by pressing X1 remote ... the XFINITY button .. and surprisingly the options came up. My tv is UHD and activating 1080p brought most channels into great focus.​

​   However, all of the other comments made here by the community re: navigating from channel to channel, screen clutter with big posters, time wasted scrolling -  I agree with wholeheartedly. The way I perceive this, X1 was an attempt to re-invent the wheel.  Legacy was not/or is not broken. Why not continue supporting Legacy boxes for those who haven't jumped ship and are some of your most loyal and longest standing customers?​

Contributor

• 

108 Messages

1 year ago

I've been having nothing but issues with my X1 box. The box won't respond to remote commands often, and I can't do anything but wait for it to fix itself. All fresh batteries in the remote, so that's not the issue. Constantly getting the "We can't connect to the internet" message. Sometimes there is no warning message, the box just won't respond. And I agree, there should be an option for a "basic" cable box that doesn't have to connect to the internet. I want to watch TV, not surf, or stream. I have a streaming device I can stream from when I want to do that. The fancier the box, the more problems to deal with. 

Maybe there's a newer X1 we can get that has been improved?

Best of luck to you.

Problem Solver

• 

502 Messages

I'd be frustrated as well with seeing that error message @JS-! Our team can help here with checking into this further, can you please send us a direct message with your first and last name and address to get started?

To send a "Direct Message" ("Private") message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Direct Message" icon (top right corner)
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send it

I no longer work for Comcast.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

1 year ago

It looks like Xfinity is planning to obsolete the Lagacy cable service. You are correct that the picture is better on the Legacy channels. Many of us using Legacy do not use Xfinity Internet. I happen to use DSL.

I will need to drop Xfinity if the Legacy service is dropped. I will not use their Internet service.

Problem Solver

• 

127 Messages

1 year ago

@margaretr1 we have been upgrading the services and the X1 platform some cable boxes will lose capabilities to access the On Demand subscriptions and other services here is some helpful information https://www.xfinity.com/learn/digital-cable-tv/x1 on the X1 digital cable. We can take your feed back on the upgraded services as well. 

(edited)

Contributor

• 

111 Messages

1 year ago

Yes,  I agree that Legacy is not broken, and Comcast should consider supporting it.  We have Legacy.  From comments we've read, we really do not want to switch to X1.  We're very long standing customers.  However, if we don't switch, we'll lose On-Demand that we enjoy.  

Visitor

• 

21 Messages

1 year ago

Your last paragraph reflects my sentiments exactly.  Legacy was not/or is not broken.  It works great!  Why can't they continue to support their Legacy customers who have been with them for 30+ years.  We should be grandfathered into the old system for as long as we want.  As you said, perfectly......we haven't jumped ship and are your most loyal and longest standing customers.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

1 year ago

I just had a reply from Jessie this afternoon. If you don't have Internet with Comcast the x1boxes will not work.

They now claim we will need certain newer Legacy boxes. She has not stated which ones will work yet.

2 Messages

Were you able to get a newer Legacy box that worked? I have the new X1 box that so far does not work and I want to return it despite losing On Demand. I would be very interested to know how you resolved your issue because I'm facing the same thing. 

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

@user_1ca282 If you are still having concerns, please send us a direct message. We can see what options may be available for you. 

To send a "Direct Message" message:
• Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Direct Message" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send it

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

2 Messages

1 year ago

x1 is not good. like legacy better

Contributor

• 

111 Messages

Well, we got X1 a little over a week ago.   We only switched because we use On-Demand, and that got taken off.   We like the  X1 "voice" command.  Other than that, we haven't yet seen any benefits.  Navigating through the X1 On-Demand is much more difficult than the Legacy.   Seems like overkill to us.  Hopefully it'll just take time and patience.  Picture seems fine.  Problems with X1 remote:  the volume and power buttons don't work a lot of times.  Have to keep hitting them.  Final decision so far is that we liked Legacy better.

Contributor

• 

87 Messages

@rufus97​ Yeah, the blue on-demand menu wasn't perfect, but I miss it. What I've found that helps is to type the first few letters of the show with the number buttons on the remote, so it goes straight to the show we want. Also, for shows we watch often, we set up recordings or reminders, or put it on a "list" so that those shows come up first with the Xfinity button then SAVED.

QUESTION: Were you "forced" to get a new plan and did your bill go up BECAUSE of the switch to X1?
We were told the switch would be free, but it didn't turn out that way for us.

10 Messages

I got the X1 box a few days ago, had it one day and returned it.  I didn't like it at all and the guide was awful.  I exchanged it for a Legacy box but it wouldn't activate.  Today I exchanged that one for another and it won't activate or receive a signal either and several Xfinity technicians don't know why.  I have been a customer since 1996.  I don't do any streaming, gaming, or internet on my TV.  My old box works fine only I can't access On Demand anymore.  I have read many awful comments about the X1 box.  

Contributor

• 

111 Messages

@bruelas​ You asked if we were forced to get a new plan, and if our bill went up because of switch to X1.  Originally, we were told we would have to change our grandfathered plan.  Well, we didn't, and we still have the same one.  Our last bill  (after switch to X1) did show a large increase, but that was because Xfinity was mistakenly charging us for Technician visit, even though we had an email confirmation saying there would be no charge.  The Forum Employees got that corrected for us (thanks!), and the bill wound up being several cents higher than before.  Probably taxes - didn't try to figure out.

10 Messages

11 months ago

I completely agree with you!  Comcast can easily allow on demand access to the Legacy boxes.  Their X1 box is a nightmare and I returned it.  The channel guide is non-existent.  It was awful.  They need to give us a choice instead of forcing the X1 box on us.  I just posted about it.  I want to plainly see what's on all day on the guide, I don't want to have to search everywhere to find something to watch.  And I don't want all the pictures and posters all over my screen.  I don't need or want a voice remote.  I don't do any streaming, gaming or internet on my TV.  My 93 year old relative will never be able to use the X1 box.  I've been with comcast since 1996 and will now switch to Dish TV if they don't restore on demand to the Legacy boxes.

Contributor

• 

87 Messages

11 months ago

We switched recently and had/have many of the same concerns above. For anyone else considering the switch, I wanted to share a bit of my experience.

In some ways X1 is a big change but it can also be used for basic things and can be more convenient than the legacy box. Patience is definitely needed because some things are not obvious/intuitive.
We miss the blue On-Demand menu and guide, but have made these adjustments with our XG1 box and XR15 remote:
-To see what is on "right now" there is a shortcut to the guide using the RIGHT ARROW (it's called a mini guide and may not work with AV connections)
-Pressing the right arrow twice in a row will show what is on just that selected channel and pressing the "i" button can give more details about the selected program

-The main GUIDE is available using the guide button and we have "Favorites" selected by default, so we only see the channels we watch regularly 
(to set our favorites more quickly, we used a computer: xfinity dot com/stream/listings/favorites)
-The On-Demand "menu" is our least favorite with X1, so when we know which show we want, we use the number/letter buttons on the remote to spell out the program (usually we only need the first 3 or 4 letters) and then we can select it to go straight to the show
-Even though we don't like voice remotes in general, we have found that it's often the fastest way to get somewhere, for example, if there's a game on, you can just say the name of the team or if you know the game is on "TNT" you can say that into the voice remote and it will go there without having to hit enter or type any numbers.
-We also found that if we add shows to a "list" or set up a recording (with DVR), those shows will show up first (Xfinity button then "Saved") so that we don't need to hunt for them.

I look forward to Xfinity offering a more streamlined/simple option or view for those of us who don't like the extras...maybe like a "Legacy Mode?"

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here