Kiki_B's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, July 16th, 2021 9:43 PM

Closed

Is the XG2v2-P a DVR?

I turned in my DVR & Modem that had gotten fried by a lightning strike.  The  Xfinity store gave me this new TV BOX to replace it.  I don't want to hook it up if it's not a DVR.  Help please!

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

3 years ago

See https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box. The XG2 is a 4 tuner cable box, not a DVR.

Contributor

• 

112 Messages

3 years ago

@Kiki_B  Depends on who you ask at Comcast. When I first switched to X1 from legacy, a tech hooked it up as a DVR and I got 150 hours of cloud recording and was able to record 5 shows at once. My parents get only 20 hours of cloud DVR recording and can record only 2 shows at once. While the link @BruceW gave you says it's not a DVR, and I have had different people at Comcast tell me 2 different things about this box being a DVR, technically this box is a cloud only DVR with no hard drive.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

3 years ago

@ki1o wrote: "... While the link @BruceW gave you says it's not a DVR, and I have had different people at Comcast tell me 2 different things about this box being a DVR ..."

Calling an XG2 a DVR strips the phrase "Digital Video Recorder" of any meaning. You can program recordings and watch them on a phone or a tablet, but that does not make a phone or tablet a DVR as the term is used in cable TV service.

The XG2 is what a Comcast calls a "TV box", not a DVR. Yes, you can use it to program recordings and to watch those recordings, but that does not make the device a DVR. A DVR must be able to store programs. The XG2 cannot do that.

"Cloud DVR" recordings are stored on servers at Comcast, not on the device that scheduled the recording, and not on the device that plays them back. Devices that schedule and play back recordings are DVRs only if they are capable of storing recordings.

Contributor

• 

112 Messages

3 years ago

@BruceW I agree with you, but like I said above, different people at Comcast have told me different things about this box being a DVR. I don't have that slow piece of junk box anymore, but techs, and some employees at Comcast stores are passing them out as DVR's, while other employees at stores aren't. Just depends on who you ask. It would be nice if all of Comcast's employees can be on the same page with their equipment, but over the years I've been with Comcast, that will never be the case.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here