U

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, February 28th, 2024 4:00 AM

Closed

Is the cable box rental a requirement

I would like to know if the cable box is a requirement for TV service?  I am asking because I don't use it.  All of my TV's use the xfinity streaming app.  It would save me $10 a month if I don't have to rent it. 

Accepted Solution

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

7 months ago

Thanks for connecting with us here in our community, @user_accdab, about your cable service. You are able to watch via Xfinity Stream only instead of the cable box. We would suggest unlimited data if you end up switching to stream only if you do not have it already.

Official Employee

• 

960 Messages

That is a great question @billmich88. Every item that uses the Internet, regardless if it is Xfinity or not, when connected to your home network, will use data.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

7 months ago

I would like to know if the cable box is a requirement for TV service? ...

For reference: see "Do I need to rent an Xfinity TV Box for the Xfinity Stream app to work on my Partner Device?" on https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-stream-app-faqs.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

7 months ago

... I was under the impression that using the Xfinity stream app at home does not count against data cap ...

They have done a very good job of keeping us guessing about that. Again, from https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-stream-app-faqs:

Does streaming using the Xfinity Stream app on a Partner Device count against my internet data usage?
No. The goal of using the app on your Partner Device is to give you more options outside of rented Xfinity TV Boxes to access your full TV service within your home. The service delivered through the Xfinity Stream app is not an internet service, so Xfinity data usage plans don't apply.

However, video services that are delivered over the internet, like TV Go content accessed through the Xfinity Stream app and web portal or content from NBC.com or the NBC and NBC Sports apps, are treated exactly the same way as any other internet-delivered services, like Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon and are subject to any data usage plans that might apply.

So there we have NO and YES answers to that question.

My own experience with "the Xfinity Stream app on a Partner Device" is that TV Go and other "internet-delivered services" are simply not available in that app. "Internet-delivered services" are available in other apps, but not in the Stream app.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

7 months ago

... they BOTH cannot be correct ...

You'd think so, but that's the song they've been singing for YEARS: "Stream app usage doesn't count against the cap unless accessing content that's 'internet delivered'". But in my (admittedly limited) experience, the Stream app on a Partner Device (ex: a TV set or a Roku) doesn't allow you to select "internet delivered" content. It doesn't even show up in the app.

TV Go and other "internet delivered" content does show up when using the app on a phone or tablet, and that's where it gets really tricky. Numbered TV channels don't count against the cap, but TV go channels do. There's a brief message (about 3 seconds) as play begins that tells you you're using Internet data and it "may" count against the cap if the device is connected to your Internet service.

The same dichotomy also exists using the Stream website (https://www.xfinity.com/stream/) in a browser.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

7 months ago

... still no response 2 days later.... i hope someone comes in and clarifies our dilemma

I'm not hopeful. "Further educated, or admonished for propagating incorrect information" just doesn't seem to happen here AFAICT.

Official Employee

• 

893 Messages

@billmich88 It sounds like based on your scenario of streaming just your normal stuff, and not internet based content you wouldn't need to make adjustments. A couple of things I can think of that could affect streaming and may look at making changes to internet:

Video/show resolution as the higher the resolution of the content, higher speeds can ensure the best streaming quality. I have 400 MBPS, and don't have any issues with Xfinity Stream App content (on our tablet/phones) or other Apps I watch (Prime, Hulu, Disney +).

Some areas have data thresholds, so you can check if you're in an area that has a threshold. So if you happened to stream internet based content, that would count against data. You can monitor your data usage, and if needed can always add unlimited data if you notice more data being consumed. https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/exp-unlimited-data

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

7 months ago

... All internet-based video streaming and download services, including internet-delivered programming ...

And right there is one of the problems with Comcast's "explanation" of when Stream app usage counts against the cap (AKA "data plan"). The statement confounds "internet-based" with "internet-delivered". Everything watched using the app is "internet-delivered" from a customer's point of view, since it is "delivered" over an internet connection. So what then does "internet-based" mean? We don't know, because Comcast has never said. And unlike "internet-delivered", customers have no way to know this independently. It boils down to "It's 'internet-based' because Comcast says it is". 

Among other problems with the company's statements concerning Stream app data plan usage, they should avoid using the phrase "internet-delivered" when what they mean is "internet-based".

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here