Z

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Friday, September 30th, 2022 2:43 AM

Closed

Is Smart Resume not working properly or is it working as designed?

My Smart resume has stopped just shy of 1 or 2 commercials. Forcing us to watch them. It's as if it was designed to play them (similar to streaming apps that play ads you can't skip). Troubleshooting steps followed [no different than the numerous people who already posted about this nuisance.] 

-restarting modem and/or box

-signal refreshes

-replacing box 

-replacing modem

At this point it appears to be working as it's designed to do. Like I stated earlier- the same ads being forced to play are some of the same insurance ads you can't skip on other Streaming apps. The other commercials are Network related (think "The Voice" when watching a recorded show on NBC. It started sporadically over the year- to now just an every fast forward process. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.4K Messages

2 years ago

Hello @Zengyrl412 Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us here for support.
I recommend checking out our awesome guide on smart-resume features here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/dvr-smart-resume

You should still be able to continue fast-forwarding through the rest of the commercials you don't want to watch. Please give those tips a try and let us know if that helps or if you need us to take a closer look for you.

New Poster

• 

16 Messages

2 years ago

I'm having similar issues.  Smart resume still forces me to watch a couple commercials.  As well, program recordings cut off the end of shows (I'm now adding 3 minutes to all recordings so I don't miss the end).  I've tried doing a power cycle and it does not seem to help.  It seems to happen on every recording I have with smart resume.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Yup same thing here. I expect it’s working exactly how xfinity wants it to work. When smart resume first became available, it was great. I expect their advertisers didn’t appreciate it as much as us customers. I’m taking a wild guess here; xfinity RE calibrated to please the advertisers, probably a larger source of income than us customers.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

1 year ago

My smart resume is not working either.  It stops before 30 to 40 seconds of commercials on all new shows. This started for me in September.   I have tried everything and nothing works. I am in PA.   I have read through many forums and this started on the West Coast over a year ago and Xfinity still has not resolved the problem.  There are hundreds of posts about it and no fix.  I agree that I doubt it ever will be fixed.    Networks must not have liked smart resume. 

Official Employee

• 

974 Messages

Hi there, @user_d7025d, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us on our Xfinity Forums. I understand how annoying it would be to not have your smart resume working properly when watching your recorded shows. Please rest assure you have reached the right team for assistance. Prior to September was the Smart Resume working properly each time?

I no longer work for Comcast.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

80 Messages

1 year ago

I live in california and have had this issue for a number of months.  the tv program will go into the yellow commercial bar for 30 seconds or so and then the commercials will carry over a corresponding amount of time into what should be the show.  so you then have to wait a few seconds for the smart resume to resume, then fast forward through the remainder of the commercials.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

I think the smart resume was designed to get us customers use to not doing manual fast forward. Then once we adopted it, they devised this forced commercial watching to satisfy the network’s and their advertisers. It’s even difficult to try to override where the smart resume places the actual resume.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

1 year ago

I have had the same issue for several months now. But I believe that the problem is not with smart resume feature itself. The entire program "template" (the time scale when you press pause/play etc.) including the start time, stop time, and commercials are off by about 40 seconds. All events have been slid 40 seconds to the left (early). In the current situation, programs start recording 40 seconds early and end 40 seconds early (so you miss the last scene unless you set to record an extra few minutes). The commercials as indicated by the yellow bars are off by 40 seconds as well. If you notice when a commercial break begins, we are already a short distance into the yellow bar. So of course, the commercial break continues into the blue bar of the time scale (because it started early). So the entire show is off from the template by 40 seconds. Why does Xfinity start recording the show 40 seconds early? Why is that difficult to get right?

Official Employee

• 

800 Messages

Hi @user_e07e8d, thank you for adding to the conversation about Smart Resume. 

40 seconds is a long time for something to be off sync; have you already attempted to reboot the box, or do a system refresh? If not, this post has the steps: How to Troubleshoot Your Xfinity TV with the Xfinity My Account App

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

• 

103 Messages

1 year ago

Don't hold your breath on Smart Resume working, as it was intended, anytime soon.  It stopped working properly back in about October of 2021.  There were hundreds of posts about it.  Rumors have it that it happened after an update.  Xfinity has yet to fix the problem or really even acknowledge that there is a problem.  We all got spoiled from it working properly.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

1 year ago

Smart resume just started doing that for me too. Resumes with 1 or 2 commercials left. Recording ends before the show does. Glad to see Xfinity has no actual solutions for this. Typical.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

1 year ago

I am having the exact same problem.  Everything is shifted about 40 seconds. Started in the last week or so.  Older recordings are fine. Anyone have a solution?
I am just outside Philadelphia, Comcast’s home.

(edited)

Valued Contributor

• 

406 Messages

Thank you for reaching out, @user_3972cf! Just to confirm, have you attempted a hard reset of your cable box?

Problem Solver

• 

818 Messages

Happening to me as well. I am on my 5th DVR and they all do the same. So it is not the equipment. It is an issue with the X1 platform on Comcast side if only somebody could escalate it to the developers to fix it. 

Contributor

• 

32 Messages

@user_3972cf​ Just started happening to me for the first time two weeks ago. Same exact issue. I’m in the Washington DC area. Any fixes anytime soon?

Official Employee

• 

330 Messages

Hello @Tek Thanks for reporting this to us and I'd be happy to troubleshoot to get this resolved. Please send me a DM with your name and full address by doing the following: 

Ensure you are first signed in, then you will see an icon at the top right of your page.
From there, click the 'New Message' icon. In the 'To' field, type 'Xfinity Support'.
Type your message in the text area that appears at the bottom of the window and hit enter to send. An official employee, such as myself or whoever is first available, will respond.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

1 year ago

I am having the same problem with smart resume. I have tried toggling the button in settings and rebooting the modem and there is no change. I get about 40-50 seconds of commercial before the program I recorded starts again. 

Contributor

• 

18 Messages

1 year ago

I wonder if it's the networks who have changed their program/commercial formats in order to thwart the smart resume.  Not sure exactly when this started with us.  It's been happening for at least a couple of weeks.  Smart resume usually now forces me to watch 2 commercials unless I jump in and manually ff it.  My new recordings are usually beginning and ending too soon too.  Smart resume used to be one of the really great features of xfinity.  It's a shame that nobody at comcast takes this seriously enough to bother to fix it.  Hard resets don't work for this, we've done a few in the last week.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

1 year ago

My smart resume has not worked properly for the past 3 months after working properly for the previous year plus before that time. It is off by over a minute forcing you to watch at a minimum the last two commercials prior to the program starting after a commercial break. It doesn’t matter if it’s an older program or a recently taped program. I switch out the cable box at Xfinity urging to fix the problem. Smart resume worked perfectly with the new box for exactly one day then went right back to being off by over 1 minute or two plus commercials. This is BS!! Come on Xfinity/Comcast and fix the problem or remove it from your platform if it isn’t going to work properly. And also quit giving the same advise to fix the problem to others on these discussion boards as your advise you are giving is the same advise we are all getting from you without it fixing the problem. FIX THE ISSUE OR REMOVE IT. 

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Hello and welcome to Comcast. Thank you so much for reaching out to us today about your Smart Resume concerns. You are in the right place and I am happy to assist you today. Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? Our team can most definitely take a further look at this issue. To send a "Direct Message" ("Private") message:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary
  • Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  • Press Enter to send your message

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

1 year ago

I have been having this exact same problem where the smart resume was a minute or so off and the shows were recording starting early and cutting off the last minute or so. Restarted my box the other day and now my smart resume is thinking the commercials aren't even close to when they actually are. 

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

1.4K Messages

@kmo425 Hello, are you noticing this issue with specific programs, or everything you use smart resume on? 

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

1 year ago

I am having the exact same problem.  Everything is shifted smart resume has show and commercials are not in yellow smart resume section. Started in the last week or so. Anyone have a solution? I signed in and submitted a support text for resolution or acknowledgment that xfinity has a known issue. Hard reset, system restore, toggling smart resume on and off, and call to tech support did not resolve.

Dartmouth Ma

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here