S

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, April 13th, 2022 6:44 PM

Closed

IPTV cable channels and data cap

cablecard user here(yup, that old stoneage tech), looking at adding a STB to my account for the xfinity/comcast IPTV cable channels(eg, channel 1000+), but i cant find any solid info on if those channels count against the internet data cap. we just added cable tv recently to reduce internet usage(less netflix, more @vr) and if adding a STB for IPTV cable channels(not netflix, hulu, xfinity VoD, etc) means increased data usage then i wont be adding one. i seem to be finding threads mentioning 'look for the internet badge' on the STB, but most of those threads also mention 'streaming apps like netflix etc' - nothing about the actual IPTV cable channels.

tldr

xfinity STB + IPTV channels(1000+) = data goes against internet cap?

or xfinity STB + IPTV channels(1000+) = doesnt go against internet cap?

Contributor

• 

83 Messages

2 years ago

There are only a handful of channels in the 1000s that are IPTV. These are channels provided in your service and doesn’t count towards your data. But as far as I know, you can only view IPTV Channels with an Xfinity STB. 

Official Employee

• 

699 Messages

2 years ago

Hey there @sDiesels! Great questions! IPTV(Internet Protocol TV for those that don't know) changes the delivery method of the cable services, but the services themselves remain consistent. Traditionally, you have a primary cable box(regular or DVR) that acts as that primary conduit of cable service into the home. Additional boxes are then set up around the home. With the advent of our Xi5/6 boxes(connected to the modem via W-Fi connection), IP delivery also became possible. This means that the coax cable running to the modem becomes the primary delivery method and all boxes running standard TV boxes features such as Linear Live TV, On-Demand, PPV, and channel guide do NOT count against data usage. Any internet-based app however will count towards this. Our X1 FAQs section has this information and more regarding our wireless boxes. I hope this helps. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here