U

Saturday, December 2nd, 2023 1:05 PM

Closed

how do I use X1 with different wifi network?

I switched from xfinity internet to a different wifi provider.  now all of my premium channels HBO Showtime Cinemax and X1 apps Netflix Peacock Paramount  no longer work.  is there a way to specify a different wifi provider so I can cotninue to use those items?  for those in similar situations what other platform are you using to get to those apps?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.9K Messages

10 months ago

X1 requires Comcast Internet for the apps to work, even though XG series boxes do have their own modem. It's due to the fact that they are treated as any streaming device, and using them on an X1 box counts toward any data cap.

If you want to use streaming apps, you will need to use something else. A Smart TV, Roku, Fire TV, Google TV, Apple TV, etc...

Expert

• 

106K Messages

10 months ago

Concern moved here to the X1 help section for assistance.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

10 months ago

Hello user_76gtkg

I apologize if there is any confusion with our X1 service. Though with Comcast Internet your X1 will be far more robust, our internet is what provides this app access. Your grandparents can have standalone X1 service at their home. Again you may find many limitations in the interface as its full functionality requires Comcast Internet service. I hope this better answered your question. 

Visitor

• 

23 Messages

7 months ago

This doesn't really answer the question.  Do apps like Disney or Netflix work on an X1 box with Xfinity cable service if the TV is connected to a different Internet service and the customer doesn't have Xfinity Internet?

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

@bammo Welcome to our Xfinity community forum! I just connected my TV to my cellphone's hotspot and the X1 apps were still working. Are you running into a specific issue that we can help with?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.9K Messages

7 months ago

No. You must have Comcast Internet to use apps on an X1 box.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here