U

Sunday, September 8th, 2024 8:00 PM

Getting apps without wifi?

I recently switched to xfinity. I have xfinity internet and tv. I don't have a router, at the moment. All of the my boxes are connected via coaxial cables. Is it possible to access apps, through the set top boxes, if I am not using wifi?

If so, how does that work?

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

26 days ago

Thank you for choosing Xfinity and joining the community here on the Xfinity Forums, user_kwtcml. The various streaming apps, and even adding new ones will require an internet connection. 

7 Messages

If my boxes are connected via coaxial cable and I'm not using wifi, then how am I able to access them, and I do access them?

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

The streaming apps are dependent on having internet access, user_kwtcml. Are your TV boxes connected to your Xfinity Gateway via ethernet? The Xfinity Stream app is available on all Xumo Smart TVs if you subscribe to Xfinity TV. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

7 Messages

No, I do not have a gateway. I don't even have a router, at the moment.

I don't have a Xumo TV.

Problem Solver

• 

359 Messages

25 days ago

@XfinityThomasA 

I am confused.  The poster says his TV boxes are connected using coax and are not connected to the gateway.  That's how my boxes are connected, too, and I can access apps like Netflix from all four of my X1s - two 4K XG1v4s and two of of the little satellites. 

7 Messages

@BIslander​ Thank you for comprehending my question. That's what I am trying to understand.

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

We can help, user_kwtcml! I understand you had mentioned you have Xfinity internet and TV, however, you don't have a router, at the moment. Is that the Xfinity Gateway you're referencing? Are you expecting it to be shipped, or do you have an appointment to have it installed? Even before your new Xfinity service is installed, you can use your Xfinity ID and password to access account settings, Xfinity hotspots and more. 

When in range of a hotspot, look for the xfinitywifi, XFINITY, or Xfinity Mobile SSID (network name) in the list of available networks on your device. You can check the hotspot location map in the Xfinity app (on the WiFi tab).

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

7 Messages

This  response is COMPLETELY unrelated to my question. I will be getting my own router. However, all I want to know is how am I currently able to access apps, if I DO NOT HAVE A ROUTER OR GATEWAY? I am able to watch netflix, amazon prime, etc but I have no wifi. So, how is this happening?

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

Let's take a closer look, @user_kwtcml. To stream content from streaming apps like Peacock, Netflix, and Amazon Prime you need an internet connected device and access to a streaming platform or app. I understand you mentioned you do not have a router or gateway but you are still able to enjoy the streaming content. Let's dig deeper. Can you please go into your device settings and check what network you're connected to, user_kwtcml

Problem Solver

• 

359 Messages

@XfinityThomasA 

I believe this is not about Internet at all.  The OP has TV service and can get to Netflix and other apps by pressing the Xfinity button and selecting Apps on the menu.  That's part of the TV service, unrelated to Internet streaming.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here