U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, July 13th, 2024 1:17 AM

Getting 4K TV from Xfinity

I just had the most laughable chat session with Xfinity. My question was, if we get the Xfinity TV package with 125 channels, which channels can we receive in 4K/UHD even if a "special" box is required? The lack of ability of 5 agents to answer the question was ridiculous. I was fully expecting the answer to be NONE of the channels in the 125 channel lineup are 4K because Xfinity TV service is HD/1080p at best/most. I didn't even mention streamed services through Xfinity. My wife is used to using a DVR and is annoyed by constantly logging-in to one streaming service, then having to switch to a different streaming service for a different show. She'd rather have everything "integrated" into the DVR experience. Is there anybody reading this who can speak to whether there is any Xfinity DVR-optional TV service they have that also delivers (and records/plays) programs in 4K? I have accumulated a ridiculous number of 4K TVs and am annoyed with the lack of 4K options from the satellite companies (yeah, they are maxed-out on bandwidth and can't deliver any more 4K content without building new satellites and launching them... an incredibly expensive process). Since 4K/UHD is 10 years old now, you'd think Xfinity would have had time to get some 4K channels working, but it wouldn't surprise me if Xfinity was not keeping up tech. Their internet service (at least around here) is incredibly good in terms of speed, cost, and reliability/lack of downtime. But they are CLUELESS on the TV side of their house. We are also considering moving our 2 cell phones to Xfinity to get bundle discounts that look like they can save us more than $100 a month on cell phone/TV/internet, but I can't get any straight answers out of Xfinity about what speeds are supported on T-Mobile's 5G network at the prices Xfinity advertises. The TV service chat people kept talking in circles to the point I'd ask if they knew what 4K was. When I did that, typically, the agent would disconnect from me without announcing what they were doing. The chat would pass to another agent who claimed to read the first chat session, then proceed to ask the same questions that caused me to ask the previous agent if they knew what 4K was. It was amusing and sad at the same time.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.9K Messages

2 months ago

It's worse. The regular cable TV channels are 720p. I think even the IP-based are 720p. There is no pass-thru mode, so it's hard to say what the true resolution of many channels are.

As far as 4K, it's still relatively rare. Usually only sports, and often only through a streaming service or OnDemand. And even then, alot of 4K sports is actually 1080p that has been upscaled.

Problem Solver

• 

359 Messages

2 months ago

Xfinity has two 4K boxes, the wired XG1v4 DVR, and the wireless Xi6.  Both output 4K 60, HDR, and Atmos.  The Xi6 also does Dolby Vision.

The vast majority of 4K content is from apps like Netflix.  The only broadcast 4K is a handful of sports events that do not show up on channels, but must be accessed through the voice remote.  Occasionally, a 4K event gets an actual channel.  It happened for the golf Players Championship and will again for the Olympics where the USA network coverage will be simulcast in 4K. 

Xfinity does not support recording 4K or recording third party apps at all.  The apps integration is a bit more user friendly than needing to switch devices and my wife likes to use it that way. But, you still need to change apps when programs are in different services. 

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

2 months ago

user_428e1e I do apologize our chat support team was unable to clearly answer your questions about 4K programming. Here is an article that may help answer your unanswered questions. 

Problem Solver

• 

359 Messages

@XfinityMartyR 

One line in that linked support note is still incorrect for 99% of all 4K content:

"If you have your X1 settings set to Prefer Best Available Resolution, your program will auto-tune to 4K."

That is only true when Xfinity creates an actual channel for 4K content, which only happened once in the last two years for the golf Players Championship.  Xfinity announced there will be a 4K channel during the Olympics for USA network.  But, for everything else - the World Cup, the Super Bowl, the MLB playoffs, selected college basketball and football games,  there's no autotuning.  You have to use the voice remote to ask for 4K content and tune it yourself from there. 

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here