U

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, October 12th, 2024 1:03 AM

Every night when the cable box updates, the TV turns on.

Every night when the cable box updates, the TV turns on. I've changed the update time and that hasn't stopped the problem, it just happens at the new time. This has been going on for about a month. 

Accepted Solution

Official Employee

• 

968 Messages

3 days ago

@user_79a1fb While you can't prevent the box from updating, you can go into your box's settings and turn off HDMI-CEC. This setting allows your box to turn on your TV. You can reach that setting by going to Settings > Device Settings > Power Preferences > HDMI Device Control (HDMI-CEC) > Off or On. This setting is turned on by default.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

It just did it again now, not at a scheduled time, at 4:18 AM. It turns ion, blank screen for a few seconds, then goes to the random scenic views of mountains and things, no sound. I turn it off with the remote but sometimes it insists on coming back on. Will changing the HDMI-CEC settings prevent the remote from working with the box to turn the TV on and off?

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

I am sorry to hear that it did it again. If you go to this article Manage Power Preferences on X1 and Flex. It will explain more about the HDMI-CEC feature. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@XfinityTony​ I followed your suggestion and turned off the HDMI-CEC, and I'm happy to report that I've had two nights in a row where the TV did not turn on when the box updated. Hopefully this continues! Thank you (and everyone else who chimed in) for your help. 

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

user_79a1fb, That is great to hear. Thank you for letting us know what worked. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

4 days ago

Good evening @user_79a1fb, and thank you for reaching out to our dedicated Communities team on our Forums, we appreciate it. I hope you are having a wonderful weekend! I see that for the last month, you have been experiencing issues with your TV turning on every night when the cable box updates even after changing the update time. Rest assured, our team is here to help. We'd be happy to run through some troubleshooting steps. To start, may I ask what type of equipment you are using? If you are unsure, I have included the following link for reference https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box. How long have you had your equipment? Have you tried any other troubleshooting steps yet?

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@XfinityAlyssaA​ Hi. I looked at the bottom of the box and it says XiDC. I'm not sure how long I've had this box, at least since 2020, I think the last time I was in the Xfinity store we were all wearing masks. I've been searching for information on troubleshooting tips, but I haven't found anything other than trying changing the time. And changing the time does nothing to stop the TV from turning on. Would doing a system reset help? 

Problem Solver

• 

379 Messages

3 days ago

@user_79a1fb No, turning off HDMI-CEC will not stop the remote from turning the TV on and off.  That's done through codes sent by IR from the remote to the TV.   CEC uses commands sent over the HDMI connection between the TV and Xfinity box. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here