U

Saturday, June 29th, 2024 1:14 PM

DVR playback in postage stamp format

Beginning earlier this week, when I record a "vintage" program (Gunsmoke for instance on MeTV), and then watch the recorded show, the format goes to "postage stamp" format with bars at the top, bottom, and sides. The "live" show fills the screen except with bars on the sides, but the DVR recording doesn't fill the screen as it did just a week or so ago. What changed? I understand that older reruns from shows in 4:3 format will necessarily need bars on the sides when played on a 16:3 format HDTV, and that some sort of "zoom" function is employed by the X1 cable box to achieve this, but why won't it do the same thing when playing back the DVR recording? I've fiddled with all the settings I could find.

Official Employee

• 

2.5K Messages

2 months ago

@user_fc8037 Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us here on our Xfinity forums! I can definitely understand the frustration. Just so I'm not asking you to repeat any troubleshooting steps can you clarify the steps you've already tried on your end? Such as what settings you attempted to change?

3 Messages

The first thing I changed was the "zoom" setting in the box setup under Device settings/video device. When I first noticed the problem, the display for DVR playback had only top and bottom black bars and was compressed vertically. I discovered that the device "zoom" setting was set to "fill" (I think that's what it was called) so I changed it to "none". That fixed the aspect problem and gave me the postage stamp output mentioned in the original post. It's funny that some channels playing pre-HDTV content are able to play back DVR recordings just fine. I'll do a little more research to narrow down which channels do and which don't have this anomaly. As far as I can tell, all channels that are already in HD (16:9) format play DVR recordings just as they appear in the live broadcast. It's only some channels that play DVR recordings in reduced size and don't "zoom" them to fill the screen as they did a couple of weeks ago. Did something change in the box software?

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

user_fc8037 I can see how this would be confusing, especially if it just started doing it recently. Can you please share what model of DVR you have?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

3 Messages

XG2v2-P is the cable box model. I don't know what kind of DVR it has. When I referred to "postage stamp" format in the posts I mean it looks like the output from an SD station.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

For a TV show to be in 16:9 Widescreen format, older programs have to be remastered to make this happen. Converting a 4:3 film to 16:9 is not something I personally enjoy since it would crop a portion of the frame. Everything is working as it should, Gunsmoke is airing in its standard 4:3 format. You could stretch the frame with your TV settings, but I would not recommend that either as it would make the footage appear unnatural.  But as to address the initial concern, this working normally, the program you are looking to enjoy is in 4:3 format. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here