U

Visitor

• 

12 Messages

Friday, August 19th, 2022 11:01 PM

Closed

Dvr multiple duplicate recordings

Why is the dvr recording multiple copies of the exact same episode??

To be clear, im not talking about new/repeat or the such. I mean. for example, i have 4 recordings of 'whose line season 4 episode 7' . All of them the exact same episode. (and i got to 4 by the time i was tired of scrolling through them. There could be more.) 

In the menu UI, it says i have about 140 different episodes recorded and available. But i have a total of 180+ recordings. Suggesting that i have over 40 duplicate episodes. Its really annoying. - We only need one copy of a single episode. And it eats up a lot of room doing this.  - And since you can only scroll through them so slowly, its really hard to see whats a duplicate or not without it taking 40 hours.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

2 years ago

If you have set 'record only new episodes' then the issue is the data source that provides the listing for that particular program is not being supplied with the information to enter the season/episode number and set the 'new' flag.  no flag setting is counted as new.

Visitor

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

Its new and repeat. But im not talking about those no info duplicates. I do get them sometimes as well. But you can see the difference. The preview image is generac and there is no info displayed about that recording. - The duplicates im getting have all the info. They will fully display the season and the episode number, and have the preview image form that episode. - They are true duplicates.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

2 years ago

yes those generic listings will be recorded they are treated as 'new' so you get the recording.

Visitor

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

As an example. All 3 the different copies of the same episode. All with full info and even form the same channel. (Tho there might be more form other channels.)

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

2 years ago

i went through same thing with weekend episodes being repeats of just passed weekday episodes. it is the 'and repeats' that cause the recordings.

Visitor

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

The original airings were years ago. In some cases a decade+ ago.

Iv had this show set to record new and repeats for many many years and never had this issue until recently. - I want it to record episodes both new and repeat.. but only need one copy of each specific episode. Having multiple copies is not helpful. And i cant find any good way to go through them all to find duplicates to delete. Either going though all ~180 (*2) recordings for each and every episode to look.. which could take weeks right there... or delete them all. Both are crappy options. And it still doesnt stop it from happening again.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Thank you so much for clarifying and for providing your feedback. Can you share with me how you had set to record your shows which are producing these duplicates? The reason I ask is that there a way to set your DVR to record a program or series so that your DVR will record new, old, and repeat episodes even if you already had them recorded. It records it anytime the show airs. And so if we'll just want to double-check how those shows which are producing duplicates had be set to record, and perhaps make some changes and edits there. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

12 Messages

Those are the settings for the recordings. I have a bunch of different series recorded that way. But both incarnations of whose line are the only two im having this issue with.
Iv never seen a setting for recording duplicates. Only new or new and repeat. So id like to hear what you meant by a way to do that.

Problem Solver

• 

909 Messages

The steps for this are below, for the repeat option: 

1. Press the Guide button on the remote.
  2. Select a program and press OK on the remote.
  3. Highlight Record and press OK.
  4. Highlight All future episodes and press OK.
  5. You can also choose your recording options by selecting All episodes: Record: Record only new episodes or record new and repeat episodes. 

Please let me know if this helps! 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

12 Messages

@XfinityStephanieK​ Please read the post before replying! I am not talking about repeat episodes! I want the new and repeat episodes!! But what i am getting is duplicate episodes! Multiple copies of the exact same episode! As iv said many times in this thread. Even posted pictures as an example.

Problem Solver

• 

909 Messages

I apologize for the confusion. The recording settings may need to be set up directly from the channel itself to avoid it recording from multiple stations. When setting up the recording from On Demand, it records from all stations. When setting it up from the station itself, it'll only record episodes from the specific station. However, based on the photos, it appears it's coming from the same channel. I'd like to look into the recordings further on my end to see if I can find what's causing the duplicates. Please send us a Direct Message with your first and last name. The message icon is located at the top right of the Community Forum page, clicking on the message icon will allow you to initiate a chat conversation with us directly. Please ensure you are sending your message to our 'Xfinity Support' handle. 

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

2 years ago

we can't see the 'internal episode serial number' but each network can put out listings with their own serial numbers (not related to the text season/ep numbers). I see all of yours were on the same network which is unusual in the repeat episodes recording. 

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

2 years ago

@user_612f40 - Thank you for your feedback and for commenting here on the Xfinity Forums! I understand what you mean. I think I would feel that same way too from all the duplicate episode recordings. We can help! There are a few different ways you're able to schedule to record a program or series using Xfinity X1. Let's go ahead and double check how whose line was set to record including if it's set to record only new episodes or record new and repeat episodes by selecting modify at Menu > Saved > Scheduled then select the recording. Choose Record Options

From here we'll want to edit to show record only new episodes. Please let me know if this info helps! 

Visitor

• 

12 Messages

That doesnt help at all, and i think you missed the point entirely. I am not complaining about 'repeats'. The issue is duplicates!

I want all episode of whose line recorded. So that requires new and repeats. What i dont want, is 10 copies of the exact same episode.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

2 years ago

@XfinityThomasA it is set that way see the 3rd post above (one right before mine).

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Omg.  Xfinity is absolutely horrid. I have the exact same problem.

Simply put. 

Xfinity, do you have a way for us to identify duplicates so we can highlight choices to delete???

We are way past the "set up your recording" part.

Visitor

• 

12 Messages

@user_31c2a7​ they dont appear to have a [Edited: "Language"] thing in this regards. I wish they did. I have so many duplicates; its crazy. They [Edited: "Language"] this up. And after all this time i gotta assume that the higher ups really dont care. - This issue never should have happened to begin with. But then they have no way to identify the duplicates to delete them. And on top of even that, you cant even view the recordings in a manner that would let you see and check for yourself. Its a failure across the board.

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

909 Messages

@user_31c2a7 I can definitely forward feedback on our recordings' management options, but at this time we offer the ability to delete one recording at a time. This can be done either online through the stream app or through your DVR cable box. 

1. Go to the XFINITY Stream portal or the XFINITY Stream app.

2. In the menu bar, click Saved > Recordings.

3. Tap to select the show you want to delete from your DVR.

4. You now have the option to delete all episodes or an individual episode.

• To delete all saved episodes of a show, on the left choose Delete Recordings.
  • To delete an individual episode from the list, Tap to select the episode you want to remove. Then select Recording Options. A pop-up box will appear, choose Delete Recording.
  • For mobile devices, on the XFINITY Stream app, swipe from right to left to delete the episode, then select Delete.

5. A pop-up box will appear asking to confirm the removal of the show from your DVR. Tap Confirm to delete.

Visitor

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

Not only do i get so many [Edited: "Language"] duplicate recordings, but i also get season lists all [Edited: "Language"] up, episode lists all [Edited: "Language"] up.. Some times episodes i have recorded wont show up in this list... its always something..

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.3K Messages

2 years ago

Hi, user_612f40. The network provider {the network that is in charge of the show} is going to be the one that is in charge of uploading on demand content for us. So, they choose what seasons and what episodes of their show are available in our on demand platform. That is not something we're in charge of. When something is missing, we can definitely work with them to correct the issue. Please list out what seasons/episodes of what show and from what network provider you're seeing the error on, and we're happy to report it for you.

Visitor

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

I just went through all my whose line (Aisha version) episodes (200~) manually. Deleted 56 duplicate episodes. The dvr just keeps recording the same exact episode over and over and over. - Most of them from the ASPRE network.

This is getting beyond annoying. Same episode over and over.. taking up room, taking up time, taking up my patience...

And before the same things are mentioned yet again... No, im not changing my settings. I want new and repeat. REPEAT, not DUPLICATE. No, im not changing settings to a single network only. The show airs on many different networks. Im not getting rid of recording from all but one just because some (or mostly one, aspre) is 'not sending the right info'.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I agree with user_612f40... NO ONE in a management and customer satisfaction position at Xfinity cares. 

Even a "SIMPLE" sort function to put all episodes together would make this easier. 

Xfinity is 20 years behind in technology.   I'm dumping Xfinity for that reason

Visitor

• 

1 Message

1 year ago

I have the same issue. Brand new shows are double recording. But if I delete 1 it deletes both.

Xfinity you need to fix this. It takes up storage on dvr and shows both episodes.

and do not tell me to reset my settings. I’ve been dealing with dvr issues with you for years. I even had to upgrade to 300 hours of cloud storage on top of my dvr hard drive storage because you can’t get it together and keep saved recordings.

I just don’t want to deal with this. And so may others are dealing with the same issue and looking at photos, they have not upgraded storage and are where I used to be 93% + full. 

Today I am 53% full. No excuse for double recordings. 

Official Employee

• 

2.3K Messages

Hello and thank you for taking the time to reach out to us here on our Xfinity Forums. I can definitely understand the frustration if you are getting the same show recorded twice and I'm happy to take a look and see how we can assist. Please send us a DM with your full name and address to Xfinity Support to get started. 

To send a direct message: 

Ensure you are first signed in, then you will see a chat box icon at the top right of your page. Click that or follow this link here: https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging
From there, click the 'New Message' icon. In the 'To' field, type 'Xfinity Support'.
Type your message in the text area that appears at the bottom of the window and hit enter to send. An official employee, such as myself or whoever is first available, will respond. 
To expedite your request, we ask that you please include your name, the account holder name (if different), and the service address alongside a detailed summary of your request/question. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here