U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, April 18th, 2022 4:41 PM

Closed

DVR deleting recordings

Lately my recordings that I have had for a while like years that I watch over and over again are automatically just deleting themselves.  I had the whole series of Murder she baked and that is deleting themselves one by one all of a sudden.  I had the All of my heart series and now that's starting to delete and same with my Christmas in evergreens series. I recorded these over the last few years and I've watched them numerous times and all of a sudden I go to them and they're gone. I have plenty of space on my DVR and I'm getting frustrated I've lost other shows too.

Problem Solver

• 

502 Messages

2 years ago

Hi @user_0af730 ! Thank you for joining us on the Xfinity Forums to check into this DVR issue. I'm a big movie fan and like to save a few favorites as well, so I can definitely understand how frustrating this would be! However, I'm sorry to say that at this time DVR recordings are only able to be saved for up to 1 year, so this is why you would see the older recordings start to be removed. You can find out more about stored recordings here.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

But what if you have it set until space is needed? That's how I have them set some of them are 3+ years old that are still on there.

And I always keep my DVR below 70% full.

Problem Solver

• 

502 Messages

That's odd! I'd be confused with seeing that happen. Did you do any updates to your DVR recently? The limit for how long recordings are available to be kept is 1 year, and sadly that means we don't have another setting available to keep them longer.

I no longer work for Comcast.

Contributor

• 

34 Messages

@XfinityCassandra​ I am having the same problem and just posted about it, the programs are randomly deleted accidently when the DVR does its reboot at night, it must do this a couple of times a week. Several people have already complained, this needs to be escalated to the higher ups so this gets addressed in the backroom. There is an option to save your recordings until space is needed, I have recordings that are two and three years old as well, they should not be randomly deleting them after one year unless the customer changes the setting. You sadly are the one that is wrong. Thank You. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

358 Messages

Hi! Thank you for messaging us about the issues with your DVR and recordings and sorry this is happening but we can help you get this figured out and fixed. I know this can be frustrating for you as it would for me to! Do you mind following the link below to get started. 

To send a Direct Message, please click on the chat icon in the top-right corner of the screen, next to the bell icon, and then type or select "Xfinity Support" to initiate a live chat.

I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum or work for Comcast. 

Contributor

• 

34 Messages

No I will not send you a direct message, please escalate this to your higher ups and get The IT people to fix this. The problem is not on my end!

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

842 Messages

I can absolutely understand the aggravations here, @MRegan02. I understand, our engineers are taking a deeper dive into fixing many of these concerns, we are aware that it has been ongoing issue for many in the community.

I would like the specifics of the account to provide out IT and engineers though to potentially help narrow down additional patterns. 

Will you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address?
~~~~
To send a "Peer to peer" message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send it

(edited)

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

278 Messages

2 years ago

Has been happening to me for years. Random DVR shows just disappear with no rhyme or reason. Just recently I lost Woodstock and Godfather II even though they were far from my oldest recordings. Also lost some old fights I recorded off ESPN a few months ago. I recorded Godfather I,II,and III one right after another maybe a year ago and only II disappeared. I guess I should be thankful about. My DVR is set to Until space is needed. There have been dozens of posts about it over the years and nothing has been done, so I don't suppose anything will. Maybe if you check you deleted shows folder every day but who is going to do that? Even then they might not show up there since you didn't delete them. I just put it down to stuff happens. I still love the X1 but that is a glitch I guess we have to live with

Problem Solver

• 

311 Messages

@skintime I apologize for the recordings that you've lost, and I appreciate the workarounds that you've provided as our engineers work to fix the issue, did you lose these recordings just recently?

Contributor

• 

278 Messages

@XfinityFelicia​ Like I said in the post, it has been happening for years, probably at least 5 when I started noticing probably longer. I've learned to live with it

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

519 Messages

I do show those details shared above. Sorry about that. When the recording was removed does it appear in the deleted folder? 

Contributor

• 

278 Messages

@XfinityLamont​ I wouldn't know because I don't check the deleted folder every day. Probably not

Problem Solver

• 

311 Messages

@skintime  Ok, I understand, our engineers are taking a deeper dive into fixing many of these concerns, we are aware that it has been ongoing issue for many in the community.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

An entire series I had recorded has all  Disappeared today!!! And it’s not in the deleted folder. What is going on??

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I had episodes recorded from 2019 up until last week and they are all gone today. I am so beyond disappointed 

Problem Solver

• 

637 Messages

We can certainly understand how aggravating it could be to lose an entire series!
Typically, a recently deleted program can be recovered from the deleted folder until the TV box's hard drive is full, at which time, the recordings would be automatically deleted. (Though it can take 24-48 hours to actually recover the recording when it is able to be done).
Have you had the opportunity to check the available storage space available, or notice when the series went missing?

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

We had plenty of space for everything and it was never in the deleted folder. It went missing on the 24th of July and it was there the day before 

Official Employee

• 

837 Messages

Was this the only show that you have noticed has gone missing? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

• 

278 Messages

2 years ago

I had a couple more of my recorded fights vanish yesterday. Had 9 in my boxing folder and that is now down to 5. Not to mention all the movies that vanish. How long is this going to go on? Has been happening for years

Problem Solver

• 

637 Messages

Thank you so much for reaching out! We'd like to help see if we can recover any recordings that have disappeared!
You can visit the following link to see if the recordings ended up there, and if you can retrieve them still!
https://comca.st/3Jk8MEs
Additionally, we'd want to check the amount of storage space available to ensure that perhaps that had not also been an underlying issue!
https://comca.st/3POo0nG
Please let us know the results of checking or trying either of these here!

Contributor

• 

278 Messages

@skintime​ Down to 4 now another one gone today

Official Employee

• 

933 Messages

How old are these recordings you are missing? 

Contributor

• 

278 Messages

Maybe a year. Not my oldest recordings. Says 31% full and yet they are vanishing by the day

Problem Solver

• 

577 Messages

@skintime Thank you for confirming that as well, and thank you also for your patience and understanding while we get to the bottom of this once and for all! When recording programs, you are able to keep recordings for up to one year, which may be part of the issue. Per our X1 DVR Services Overview, located here https://comca.st/3PFN2oN:

X1 DVR Services Overview

Stored Recordings

Storage Capacity: Currently, your X1 DVR can record approximately 150 total hours of HD programming on the hard drive and 150 hours of Cloud DVR storage per X1 DVR. You can purchase additional Cloud DVR storage hours by visiting https://comca.st/3zICQGl.

Keep Your Recordings: You can keep your recordings for up to one year, but you may need to erase some recorded programs from time to time in order to make room for new ones. Choose Record OptionsModify Recording (if it's a series, you’ll also have the option to modify just the episode or the series), then save For 1 Year.

• If your DVR storage is full of recordings saved for one year and you attempt to schedule a new recording, you'll be notified that your storage is full. You'll be unable to start a new recording until you delete an existing recording.

Deleted Recordings

Automatically Erase Recordings: The X1 DVR will automatically erase programs when space is needed. The DVR will delete the oldest recordings first. However, you can change the recording option to save For 1 Year.

Recover Deleted Recordings: If you accidentally deleted a recording, no problem! Check the Deleted section in your X1 DVR. Select the recording you want to recover and click Recover to move it back to your recordings, or select Delete Now to permanently delete it. Learn more about recovering a recording deleted from your X1 DVR.

Please let us know if this information helps! -Christopher

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

What is the purpose of the DVR if you the provider is going to delete what the customer would like to keep? These high prices you charge then you change your policy from until I want to get rid of something or until space is needed to only saving for a year. This is terrible customer service as you all pad your pockets. If this is how you all intend to do business, I will do streaming services and move away from xfinity all together. Give the customers what they want. 

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Hey @hgd1, thanks for reaching out to Xfinity Support. It is still an option, just scroll one over on the storage option and it will show till space is needed. 

Contributor

• 

157 Messages

2 years ago

I too have had some recordings on my DVR for a long time that have all of a sudden started deleting themselves (and they are not available in deleted recordings).  I had a U2 concert recorded from December 2015 on my DVR that I would play in the background a lot when I was doing things in the room.  I actually just watched it last month.  It is now gone along with some other older recordings of movies.  It has nothing to do with available space either as we're only around 30% full.

This is definitely a recent change made by Xfinity.

Contributor

• 

278 Messages

@kjakubowsk​ It's been happening to me for years. Countless threads about this and nothing has been done. I just lose random recordings. Not long ago I had 9 old boxing matches I recorded off ESPN within the last year. That number is now down to 4. Plus countless movies I had recorded have vanished over the years. Waited a couple of years for a chance to record Woodstock and finally got it last year, now it is gone. Recorded Godfather I,II,and III back to back not long ago and II vanished but the other ones are still there. Guess I should be thankful for that. 

Official Employee

• 

443 Messages

I'm sorry to hear of your recording concerns. You can find further information on managing the recordings here X1 DVR Storage Overview and please let us know if you have any further questions. 

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

2 years ago

@user_888b4 @user_6253ea you posted on another's post. please post a new message if you want to request assistance. your (last) replies on this thread have been marked private and the thread is being closed.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here