U

Monday, November 13th, 2023 1:09 AM

DVR click forward will jump to the beginning of the recording - corrected

Hello, 

I can be watching a show and click rewind FORWARD intending to skip commercials and the DVR periodically goes back to the beginning of the show.  Any ideas on what could be causing this? 

Dave 

Problem Solver

• 

1.3K Messages

6 months ago

@user_qi3a40 Hello, thanks for the post. Have you done any kind of troubleshooting so far? 

3 Messages

@XfinityJodie​ 

Rebooting the DVR did no solve it.  That’s the only thing I can think of.

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Thank you for trying to reboot the DVR @user_qi3a40, that's always a good first troubleshooting step to try. We'd be happy to take a closer look at your equipment and run some tests. To get started, can you please send us a Direct Message with your first and last name along with service address on the account including any applicable unit or apartment numbers?

To send a "Direct Message" ("Private") message: Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Message chat" icon
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  • Press Enter to send it

We look forward to working with you. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

6 months ago

This is NOT corrected… I have the same problem… no answer to this problem was documented here…

1 Message

I am having the same problem. Any time I fast forward a recording, it jumps back to the very beginning.

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Thanks for reaching out, Lmorges! I'm so sorry you're having issues with this. What kind of cable box are you using? Also, does this heppen on certain content or on all content?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Official Employee

• 

3.8K Messages

Hey, @user_6l8q9k! Thanks for reaching out to us on the forums! I apologize to hear that you are running into this issue as well. Can you let us know what troubleshooting steps you have tried so far?

3 Messages

5 months ago

I'm having the same problem.  I often pause before I fast forward to note the time elapsed so if the recording jumps back to the start I'll know where to go back.  Sometimes If I immediately exit the show when it jumps back to start it will go back to the right spot when I Resume show.  I've tried both Restarting via the Help menu and System Refresh - although neither solves the problem.

Official Employee

• 

962 Messages

Hey @user_tqo15j, thanks for letting us know you are having the issue too. Does it do the same thing when you press the page up button?

3 Messages

No, pressing the page up button jumps the recording forward 5 minutes - I don't think it's made it jump back to start of recording.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Thank you so much for the response and for letting us know. Has this only been having on certain shows or all of them?

3 Messages

It happens sporadically, around several times per week.  Today it happened during the recording of the DirectTV Holiday Bowl on FS1.  I was watching the recording while the game was still playing, and went to forward to the end of the recording to go Live, and instead of going to the end of the recording it jumped back to the start.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

We are glad to take a closer look at this for you @user_tqo15j.  No worries!  You have reached out to the right team to get things on the right track for you.  So that we can get started, please feel free to shoot us a private message.

To send a "direct message" / "private message" message to Xfinity Support:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Message" icon or https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging 

• The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there

•  - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list

•  - An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Press Enter to send it

Contributor

• 

19 Messages

4 months ago

I've had the issue, too. Sent a message to Xfinity but yet to hear back. I'm sure they'll have me reboot, etc. etc. when it's not my issue it's their DVR system being weird. My favorite is when they tell me to get a new box, I go pick one up from the store, and the same problem exists. Sometimes you'll actually get a real response from a support rep of, "yeah, our engineers know and are troubleshooting" instead of being gaslit through all the problems like it's on your end. I've had this same issue over the 8 years I've been an Xfinity customer. It randomly appears, support makes it seem like it's just you, they waste your time, and it gets fixed a month or two later. I once had other issues with On Demand shows and went through the same song and dance. I ACTUALLY got a customer service rep that messaged me back that she was working from home and just tried it on hers and got the same issue!!! She escalated it. So many times the other support people just waste your time. "Reboot and let me know if it comes back." "Wow, thanks for the stellar support. I never thought to reboot. I'm sure this won't fix it just like every other issue I'm told to reboot that doesn't fix it. In fact, my system is set to reboot nightly." You just gotta keep bugging them until a competent support person that goes a little off their script helps you. 

4 Messages

My solution… I think I’m going to go back to DirectV.

Contributor

• 

19 Messages

4 months ago

Did they fix it for you? If so, how? I'm getting the usual "we have no knowledge of this being an issue" garbage with support right now. I sent them screenshots 🤣 Liars.

3 Messages

No, it has not been resolved.  My theory is most users who experience this issue probably don't take the time to post in this community where the problem gets visibility between other users.  When one calls support, the issue will probably not get reported internally so there is no momentum being generated.  It's especially troubling that a customer service rep, and employee, experienced the problem and there has been no resolution.  Xfinity needs to get an engineer on this problem.  Until then, it's an absolute waste of time to go through the infinite loop of contacting first tier support.  This post has generated some activity, although probably not enough to get their attention.  It's probably going to take one of their executives experiencing the problem themselves before this will even get a look.     

@user_tqo15j offered a workaround that my wife has been doing that relieves some of the frustration:  "I'm having the same problem.  I often pause before I fast forward to note the time elapsed so if the recording jumps back to the start I'll know where to go back.  Sometimes If I immediately exit the show when it jumps back to start it will go back to the right spot when I Resume show". 

4 Messages

I am a sports fan. It’s super annoying when this problem happens near the end of a game. To compound the problem I FF to where I was and even if I’m not touching the remote, it goes back to the beginning of the recording after a few seconds.And there’s no way to stop that from happening. I just gave up and looked at the final score online.

Official Employee

• 

857 Messages

Hello @jdawg90, thank you for taking the time to reach out on social media.  I understand your concern with the DVR, and I'd like the opportunity to check into that for you.

To access your account, will you please send us a direct message with your full name and complete service address to “Xfinity Support”. To do so, click on the chat icon located at the top right of this forums page.

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:

• Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
  • Press Enter to send your message

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

@user_qi3a40 Hello! Thank you for reaching out to us here on our Community Forum. Can you please send us a Direct Message with your full name and address? We'll be happy to investigate this further for you. Here are instructions on how to send us a DM in case you need them:

Click "Sign In" if necessary
  • Click the "Direct Message" icon (upper right corner of this page)
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I'm having this problem too.  I have dealt with it in two ways:

1. press pause, unpause, then try FF and RW.  For some reason this works--if I don't pause first there's a 50/50 chance the video will scrub all the way to the beginning or the end

2. I tapped "EXIT" on the remote 3x and then typed 0030 on the number pad.  This made my page up and page down skip fwd/back around 10-15 seconds.  I got this idea from this old post: https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertainment/how-to-program-a-30-second-skip-button-for-xfinity-x1/ 

> Xfinity needs to get an engineer on this problem.  Until then, it's an absolute waste of time to go through the infinite loop of contacting first tier support. 

You might be right...but it's hard to know how the engineering backlog works at Xfinity.  Unless a product manager or similar person is looking through the forums, they probably only become aware of these issues through some kind of ticket / task system.  It's also likely they have some kind of priority/severity system--if enough people have the same issue and if the support rep creates a ticket that's linked to an existing issue, then we might actually get someone to actually debug whats going on.  

> It's probably going to take one of their executives experiencing the problem themselves before this will even get a look.

This is 100% true haha.  They won't go through customer service, they'll just ping some senior engineering manager it will magically be a P0 on their roadmap.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

19 Messages

4 months ago

I guess satire isn't allowed on these forums. My last post was privatized. Regardless, my interaction with support seems to be "reboot" and then it can't be recreated, because it's an intermittent problem, and they tell you they're happy it's working now and to reach back out if it happens again. I asked what the solutions were for others on here and they told me they couldn't look those up but there were no known issues. So...I think that's where we're at. Leave Xfinity, or deal with odd DVR issues.

1 Message

2 months ago

I am also having the same issue with programs restarting when trying to fast forward.  It is supper annoying!!!  It started happening about 6 months ago when I went in and got a "new" box..  I thought it was the replacement box I got so I went back yesterday and got a brand new one (wrapped in plastic)..  Still, same issue..  Now I'm convinced it is not the box and has something to do with the recordings being stored on the cloud and it is effecting the playback.  You would think that Xfinity would have solved this issue by now.  I don't think the IT Department at Xfinity is very intuitive... they have the Xfinity app that has been in Beta for years now - not sure how any app can stay in the Bata phase for that long.....   I think if Xfinity spent as much on IT as they do sales, they would have a better produce.

Official Employee

• 

863 Messages

@user_l3abkm Hello there! Thanks for reaching out on our forums and letting us know you are having this interruption. I know how annoying this can be. I have very limited time to enjoy my shows with 2 young kids on my heels, so when I have the time I want it to work perfectly!
Based on the details it seems like there could be a signal issue since you have tried multiple cable boxes. Do you use the Xfinity Stream app as well to access your recorded programs? Do you have the same trouble within the app with trying to fast-forward? I would love to help have this corrected for you. 

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

2 months ago

Darn I looked at this post hoping for a solution. We have the same problem with the

recording jumping back to beginning when fast forwarding. We also have a problem with being dropped out of a recording while it’s still in progress. It drives my wife crazy. One solution I saw while googling today is that this is only a problem with the Xg2v2 boxes (we have the Pace version) and that it doesn’t happen with the Xg1v4 boxes (which have a built in DVR system). Is this true? And if so how do we get one? Can I just go to the Xfinity store and ask?

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Hey there Wcoolidge thanks for letting us know you are also impacted and we are happy to help. To get started can you send us a DM with your name and service address? 

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:

• Click the "Direct Message" icon (upper right corner of this page)

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I am having the same problem  Rebooted etc  no help 

Official Employee

• 

863 Messages

@Moorecards1 Hi there! Thank you for sharing that you have this expereince as well with the program restarting while trying to fast-forward. I'm sorry, I know this can be annoying especially when you are trying to skip commercials and possibly save time while watching your shows. Have you noticed it happening with every recording or only certain ones? I would love to help out to have this fixed for us. 

1 Message

15 days ago

Hard to believe this problem has been going on for months and the best fix is to switch to direct TV. Works for me!

Official Employee

• 

904 Messages

Hey @user_0fupp1,

Thank you for visiting our official Xfinity Forums Community support page. If you need any assistance, please let us know. We are more than happy to help.

1 Message

12 days ago

I had this same issue, it had something to do with the cables running through out my house. I switched to all wifi connections for my TVs and the issue was resolved. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here