tstack's profile

Contributor

• 

637 Messages

Saturday, October 9th, 2021 11:49 AM

Closed

Dolby Digital Plus or Expert Audio Setting

Which is the correct setting for a New Sony Sound bar. Using Dolby Digital Plus (Auto Detect) or the Expert Sound mode? The sound bar does have Dolby Atmos so I would assume I want Expert mode but for tv channels most show up as 5.1 Dolby Digital or I see Dolby Digital 2.0 and I understand Atmos is not not ready for regular say HD channels. So when I choose Dolby Digital Plus with X1 4k box all the tv channels show up as Dolby Digital Plus even the 2.0 channels like Antenna tv and other SD Sub channels. I did see during see Dolby Atmos detected during the 4K Summer Olympics with NBC but other than that I have not seen or heard not much Dolby Atmos with X1 box.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.9K Messages

3 years ago

Generally, stick with Expert mode as it will try to pass on the best audio. That said, there is a bug in the current 4K boxes with anything involving streaming (apps, IP channels, OnDemand.) Streaming video for some reason is forced to DD+ 5.1 or sometimes DD+ 2.0. That means that anything that is DD 2.0 or PCM 2.0 may only come out of the main 2 channels if your sound bar or receiver would normally process it as surround. Regular TV channels usually come through normally as DD 5.1 or DD 2.0.

Contributor

• 

637 Messages

3 years ago

Should I have eARC enabled on both my sound bar and tv with X1 xg1v4? Or just use ARC.?

Official Employee

• 

7K Messages

Hello tstack. Thanks for creating a post on our Forum. As andyross mentioned, setting the Expert mode is the recommendation for your X1 box. We're here to assist any way we can, please let us know if you have any other questions. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Just so you are aware, we have had our X1 4K box set on Expert Mode and recently observed on our Sonos app that we were only receiving MONO (Dolby 1.0) on some programs that we recorded to our DVR from Bravo.  Changing the X1 audio setting from Expert Mode to Dolby 5.1 allowed the program to play in 5.1.  Unfortunately, some other programs sound better in Expert Mode and until the bug is fixed, we will have to live with switching in order to find the best sound.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here