jtmlb's profile

New Poster

• 

9 Messages

Monday, April 1st, 2024 5:11 AM

Do Wired Secondary Boxes have any Dependency on an X1 DVR Box?

I've had it with the refurbished X1 DVR boxes that Comcast keeps handing off to me. Our current X1 DVR box, an XG1v4, has graced us with these two issues:

i)   a previous customer's scheduled series recordings that has us in whack-a-mole mode as we continually have to unschedule unwanted series as additional series recordings continue to make an appearance throughout the year (... not that unscheduling a series is really such a big deal; but, it's a constant reminder of how little Comcast sometimes seems to care about customer service)

ii)  the XG1v4, after some hours of not being used, apparently reboots and then ends up stuck at the Xfinity "Welcome" screen. If we want to use it again, we have to power cycle it. We've been in this un-ending loop for months now.

Here's the thing, though: We seldom watch TV in the room with the XG1v4. But we do often watch two TVs in rooms with wired (not wireless) secondary boxes. I'd noticed that when the XG1v4 was stuck at the "Welcome" screen (which was 99% of the time, since we seldom used it), our wired secondary boxes seemed to continue to work fine. To determine whether the secondary boxes would continue to provide all functionality (live TV, ability to record & access to all our recordings, access to On Demand programming) with the XG1v4 powered off--rather than just stuck at the "Welcome" screen--I powered off the XG1v4 box about a week ago. And the secondary boxes continue to soldier on, with no apparent interest in or dependency on the X1 DVR box.

So, can I package up the XG1v4, drop it off at the local Xfinity Store, and have it removed from my account? Or, will removal of the X1 DVR box from my account have an impact on my secondary boxes that merely powering off the XG1v4 didn't? In addition, are "all" of our recordings cloud-based? That seems to be the case, since we continue to have access to all of our recordings with the XG1v4 powered off. But, could removal of the XG1v4 from our account have some impact on the recordings we currently have access to?

btw: I want to keep the secondary boxes, rather than relying on the Xfinity Stream app at our secondary box locations. I actually think the Xfinity Stream app is pretty decent on iOS devices. But trying to use it on an Amazon Fire Cube in place of our secondary boxes comes up way short. With the Xfinity Stream app on our Amazon Fire devices: Fast forward & rewind is non-existent on Live TV; fast forward & rewind on recordings is much inferior relative to secondary box fast forward & rewind; slow motion functionality is non-existent on the Xfinity Stream app; lastly, our Amazon Fire Cubes, like our Xfinity secondary boxes, are wired at LAN locations in our home that provide better than 600 Mbs download speeds. We rarely (if ever) see buffering from any streaming app on the Cube other than the Xfinity Stream app, which tends to buffer several times every 10 minutes or so.

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

4 months ago

Thank you for reaching out to us here @jtmlb. I am sorry to hear about the issue with that DVR box. You would need to have one primary DVR that provides full access to the DVR features of your On-Screen Guide such as the ability to schedule or delete a recording or control live TV. The primary DVR is linked to networked TV Boxes in your home. The DVR storage is cloud based depending on the number of hours of storage set up on the account. 

New Poster

• 

9 Messages

Hi XfinityJohnG, I'm now over a week with our XG1v4 "powered off," and with no apparent impact on our two wired secondary boxes. Those two boxes continue to allow us to schedule & delete recordings & control live TV. Are you saying that we're required to have "one primary DVR" merely on our account, or perhaps functional on our network only for brief periods of time, given that our secondary boxes care not a whit whether the primary DVR is powered off (or stuck at the Welcome screen) for weeks and months at a time?

Please pardon me now while I delete S6E1 of Things Done Changed, brought to us today by a previous Comcast customer (while our XG1v4 was powered off) who apparently scheduled recordings for that series on our XG1v4.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Thank you for getting back to us about this, @jtmlb. You shouldn't have to put up with a DVR that needs to be kept powered off in order for your system to function correctly. I would be more than happy to make arrangements for a replacement, or you can bring the DVR in to your local Xfinity Store like you mentioned. They should be able to tell you if one of your other boxes can be set as primary. Please let me know if there was any way we can be of assistance.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

New Poster

• 

9 Messages

Thanks for raising the possibility that a non-dvr box can be set as primary.

Contributor

• 

62 Messages

4 months ago

i suggest that you swap out the 4k dvr box with an HD box that has a dvr

not much is delivered in 4k though that xg1v4 that couldn't be accessed via a Chromecast or fire stick

I empathize with what you have had to endure

New Poster

• 

9 Messages

Makes sense. thx, westwayneguy, I was really hoping to get a better understanding from the employee responses on the precise dependency of wired secondary boxes on the dvr box. Seems that just wasn't in the cards.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

@jtmlb If there is anything we can assist you with moving forward, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

• 

9 Messages

3 months ago

So, after about 6 weeks of keeping the DVR box powered off, we noticed only one quirk.

With the DVR box powered off, our two wired secondary boxes continued to provide all expected DVR functionality: Ability to schedule recordings, continued access to all recordings, ability to pause, rewind, fast forward live TV, access to On Demand content. But the secondary boxes displayed a static "percentage of DVR space used" that was stuck at our percentage used of our DVR space allotment at the time we powered off the DVR box.

Official Xfinity Employees: Why is there "any" dependency on a DVR box by wired secondary boxes (which have no MoCA requirement), given that Comcast has pushed its DVR functionality to the cloud? (I'm hoping the answer isn't "So that Comcast can continue charging all customers $10/month for a DVR box.") My X1 experience has been that, if we lose Internet access, we also lose DVR functionality; so, I don't see the value, in my scenario, of having a local DVR box (that may or may not have all of our recordings resident on its drive). Are you plugged into any plans by Comcast to making the DVR box obsolete, at least for customers who have wired secondary boxes?

Contributor

• 

62 Messages

@jtmlb​ hearty kudos to you for your detailed posts; as well as and time and energy experimenting

tip of my hat to you, good sir

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Hello @jtmlb, thank you for taking the time to reach out on social media.  I understand your concern with the DVR, and I'd like the opportunity to check into that for you.

To access your account, will you please send us a direct message with your full name and complete service address to “Comcast Business”. To do so, click on the chat icon located at the top right of this forums page.

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary
  • Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  • Press Enter to send your message

New Poster

• 

9 Messages

@westwayneguy88888​ This is from an Xfinity Employee via Direct Messaging:  "In-home DVR equipment is optional for the first 300 hours of Cloud DVR storage. However, a DVR TV Box must be added for every 150 hours over 300 that a customer wishes to add to their account."

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here