Raid's profile

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

Thu, Dec 10, 2020 8:00 PM

cloud storage vs. DVR

I really tried to sear but all of the threads regarding this subject were locked and unobtainable, so...

when I asked support what room I had on the cloud, he said 60 hours. When I said how much room do I have on the DVR he said 500GBs. I asked him to give me a comparative denominator on both (either hours or GBs) and he said that he could not, that they were not given that kind of info.

Does anyone know how may GBs of cloud storage is allocated to the customer? "60 hours" is really not a quantitative position. 

Thank you in advance for any assistance you provide, and I hope this message finds you and those around you healthy.

Responses

CCAndrew

Diamond Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

6 m ago

60 hours is 60 hours, the cloud goes by time and the physical dvr goes by space available. Some markets have 150
Raid

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

6 m ago

Well thank you and I do appreciate the reaffirmation of the info I was provided.  A Comcast cloud storage that is measured by hours, a Comcast DVR is measured by storage size. Maybe I'm just being difficult trying to get at a equal point of reference for comparison.  I'll just give up now and pretend its all logical.

Happy Holidays!

Alamo_Bob

Regular Contributor

• 

184 Messages

6 m ago

@Raid wrote:

I'll just give up now and pretend its all logical.

It's logical in a way. An HD recording will take more space than an SD recording of the same length, plus who knows how much compression is applied to any particular program? So the DVR's HDD is specified in GB rather than hours.

Rustyben

Expert

• 

24K Messages

6 m ago

it is confirmed that all cloud DVRs have had space increased to 150 hours. 

Raid

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

5 m ago

The calculations of space needed for a storage file would apply to both DVR and cloud storage areas, I would assume.  It is interesting that an exact cloud calculation provides 150 hours.  This I would assume to be a committment rather than a calculation.  Bottom  line is I am still attempting to figure out how Xfinity determines what goes cloud and what doesn't. I have had many instance of recording something, only to not have it available for streaming, and it doesn't appear to be a licensing issue since it's inside my network.

Thanks again for contributing!

Rustyben

Expert

• 

24K Messages

5 m ago

@Raid wrote:

The calculations of space needed for a storage file would apply to both DVR and cloud storage areas, I would assume.  It is interesting that an exact cloud calculation provides 150 hours.  This I would assume to be a committment rather than a calculation.  Bottom  line is I am still attempting to figure out how Xfinity determines what goes cloud and what doesn't. I have had many instance of recording something, only to not have it available for streaming, and it doesn't appear to be a licensing issue since it's inside my network.

Thanks again for contributing!

When the Comcast server 'schedules' a recording it turns on the recording in your local home DVR and in the cloud DVR (at the same time). the recordings are independent of each other. Your home power can be off yet the cloud DVR will still record the program. the Cloud DVR server is 'counted' by hours nothing else. Home DVR is different as it is available space on a hard drive or solid state drive.  When/if the cloud DVR has to remove older recordings to make space for new recordings the deletion is independent of the home DVR's recordings and will not erase them.

New to the Community?

Start Here