jmarkc's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

17 Messages

Sunday, November 19th, 2023 7:39 PM

Closed

can i activate purchased x1 equipment

I really don't rent things if I can buy them. Can I buy the set top box and remote online from 3rd party like ebay, and activate on xfinity? If so what models? Is there an equipment model list for them like for modems and wifi units?

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

10 months ago

@XfinityJustinC wrote: "... www.xfinity.com/support/articles/pair-activate-cablecard ..."

That article references https://cablecardactivation.xsp.comcast.net/, a site which is not accessible to customers. The IP address of "cablecardactivation.xsp.comcast.net is 10.54.y.z, a private IP address which may be accessible to Comcast employees connected to the company's private Intranet, but not to the public Internet. The customer would need to go elsewhere to activate a CableCard.

https://cablecardactivation.xsp.comcast.net appears to be working again as of 3-10-2024.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

Frequent Visitor

• 

17 Messages

Cablecard activation site is unavailable to me when I try to go there as I am not a Comcast employee. But, I don't understand the relevance of that site for hooking up an X1 set top box. I assume this reply was mistakenly posted to this string. No?

Frequent Visitor

• 

17 Messages

@BruceW​ I was able to obtain info on cablecards by simply typing the term in at the forum search screen. I guess in my situation where i purchased a sealed x1 set top box and remote on ebay, my potential issue is if the box were stolen as it was never activated at a customer. If the installation fails I can then contact Comcast for assistance or simply return it on the 30 day policy and continue using my Roku stick.  Comcast stopped allowing the player to be downloaded on my Samsung 65in curved screen model ( browser now incompatible). Thanks for guiding me to 'cable cards'. :)

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

10 months ago

Hi, @jmarkc . Thank you for reaching out and creating a new post. I see you also sent a direct message. We understand you are eager for assistance. However, we do request that you do not send unsolicited messages to our team unless requested. This helps us streamline the incoming messages and ensure we track all issues accurately. 
With that said, I wanted to confirm that we do not sell or allow third parties to sell X1 equipment. We always request that customer return their equipment after they leave, and we currently don't sell them. You can find a list of third party devices you can buy if you prefer not to rent https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-stream-app-faqs. I see you had more questions, so I'll follow up privately since we have you available. Thanks again. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

17 Messages

@XfinityVianney​ I am unsure what you mean when you stated I sent a direct message to a team member, as I don't know any team members but I may have sent this question to support also. Can you elaborate on this so I don't do it again? In your response, do you think Xfinity cleared renting without offering for sale components of your internet and TV systems? The reason I ask is that in the 70s when I worked for IBM the FTC required us to start selling the 3277 main frame displays instead of only renting them. Just asking.

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

I apologize for any confusion @jmarkc. The rule pertains to sending an unsolicited message to anyone on the platform, or in this case to the Xfinity Support team as well. We request you create a post just as you did, and we will then reply to your post with any additional questions. If we need to discuss things in detail or cover private information, we may then ask you to message Xfinity Support directly. It's not a big deal, but I just wanted to give you a heads-up.

Currently, we don't have approved parties to sell X1 equipment. When we rent devices to customers, they are linked to a specific account/customer profile. This helps us track returns and know where our equipment is. Once a customer leaves Comcast, we ask they return our equipment, so we can clear any data. There are cases where customers may not return them or feel they can sell the device after some time. However, that is not the case. The devices are likely still linked to an account and will ultimately cause you headaches down the road. I've been here for a few years and we do run into this from time to time.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Frequent Visitor

• 

17 Messages

The explanation does help, as Xfinity allows consumers to use their own modems and routers, but I believe last time I looked they were the only items on the compatibility list. It would seem a good business decision to allow consumers to purchase the set top boxes and modems/routers which are rented to consumers as I have seen a few of the x1 boxes sealed new on third party sites, never installed at a customer site. So perhaps they are obtained directly from China.

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

I'm glad that helped. I can't speak to how they get a hold of these to be honest, but I wouldn't get any X1 TV boxes if they didn't come directly from Xfinity. If your goal is to avoid the rental charges, we still have other great options as you can see here https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/activating-xfinity-stream-smarttvs. You mentioned you have a Roku already, but we have other devices like Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, or Smart TVs (LG/Samsung/Xumo) that could work for you as well. The flex device that you mentioned before is currently for customers with internet only, so you may not qualify if you have an existing cable plan @jmarkc

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Frequent Visitor

• 

17 Messages

I have a three year old Samsung 65in curved tv that had xfinity stream as a download option for a year or so. But then Xfinity stopped offering it on my set stating the operating system was not compatible, although it was for a couple years. The Roku stick remote has very limited functionality so I thought either the flex box or x1 box would help that. I am not a penny pincher except when an organization is trying to pinch pennies with me. The x1 remote went from 2.50 to 5.00 to 10.00 and now 9.00. Xfinity took away my INSP channel on my ultimate package and added it to the sports package so I'd have to pay another 10 dollars and then took away half of the paperless bonus to 5 dollars if I used a credit card. Sir, I define that as penny pinching and as a Diamond status reward customer, I don't like it and will counter it someway.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here