dmoney7612's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, September 14th, 2020 12:00 PM

Closed

Cable signal is delayed

I'm a sports nut and have noticed when watching games that my signal is delayed. For instance, I'll be on the phone with somone and they'll see something occur a good 5 seconds before me...very annoying. It may have to do with the area/apartment I'm in, but I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this issue and if they were able to fix it. Thanks in advance!

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

It's a very simple set up with no receivers or anything else. Cable box is connected in to the wall with the newest equipment versions (as far as I know). Certainly there are variables as I mentioned a couple, but my signal is noticably behind. For sports, the online tracking of scores and plays is ahead of my cable, which I know is not normal. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Your comparing apples and oranges, comparing the 2 setups. Could be the type of cable box, type of connection between cable box and tv, type of tv, is there a soundbar or receiver in the mix. There’s just a lot of variables

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.8K Messages

4 years ago

How is that other person watching? Do they also have Comcast? If it's on a broadcast network, it will typically be seen by an antenna user first. There will always be some delay in Comcast's retransmission as they run channels through multiplexers that compress and combine multiple channels into one QAM frequency sent to the boxes Further, if you watch through a streaming device, there may be an additional few seconds of delay.

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Everyone has Xfinity in the city I’m in so I’m guessing it’s just my specific area that is causing the issue

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.8K Messages

4 years ago

Different boxes may have slight differences, too. A true DVR may further delay a second or so due to the internal buffer. I'm not as sure about X1, but when I had a legacy box, I could tell it was mostly pass-through if I simply changed channels. If I did any kind of pause or replay on the "live" channel, then even if I went back to live, it would be a few seconds behind (using another TV with a basic DTA as comparison).

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I have the same problem. 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Hey Buddy,

were you able to fix this ? I have a 20 second delay. It’s pretty nuts. Huge sports fan and everyone sees things before me. I get texts calls notifications etc. it’s awful. Xfinity has no clue how to fix - any suggestions ?

Contributor

• 

137 Messages

3 years ago

One thing they always seem to say, is start by disconnecting the power to your cable box for a good 30 or more seconds. I’d also disconnect the cable to the box at the same time. Give it 30 or more seconds. Also try using your xfinity app to reset the box. 

(edited)

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Just got X1 because I was tired of the delay when watching live sports with Hulu and YouTube TV and my cable box has just as much delay. Around 40 seconds behind my friends. The weirdest part is my cable box is behind even the Xfinity Stream app. 

Has anyone found a solution for this? They gave me a wireless box instead of a traditional coax box so not sure if this is the issue either but Xfinity is as good as worthless when I try to ask them.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@user_15380a 

The coax isn’t the issue. It’s Xfinity. If you want truly live sports, you’ll have to go satellite. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I have been experiencing this the past week myself.  Restarted my box multiple times. Support staff were no help when I called.  All they said is that they would escalate the issue, but I haven't heard anything in the past 2 days. The stream app is about 35 seconds ahead of the cable signal, which is never that way. In fact the stream app is usually about 10 seconds behind the cable.

Some clarity and/or direction would be much appreciated.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Welcome to our community forum, @user_200bb2! You've come to the perfect place to get help with your Xfinity service. My roommate is a huge football fan and she'd be upset if our feed was delayed so I can definitely check your signals as well as the ticket to see what's going on.

Please send a direct message by clicking the chat icon in the upper right corner of the page, click on the pen and paper icon, then enter “Xfinity Support” in the “To” section. Please include your name and address and I'll be happy to help :). 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I am disconnecting my services due this issue. My “live” sports entertainment has been ruined and a technical support agent pretty much hang up on me after telling me he doesn’t understand what the issue is.

goodbye Xfinity - can’t say it’s been a pleasure.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I just had a text exchange with a customer service person and got the same response that they would “escalate” the issue. Such BS. 

I, too, switched to Xfinity because I despised lagging so far behind others watching live sports. I always blamed my streaming service - Hulu. But to find out my cable tv is even behind their own streaming app infuriates me. I will begin researching my next move. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here