D

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, July 31st, 2021 1:36 AM

Closed

Cable box is constantly loosing connection.

For a while, our cable box, from time to time, would "disconnect" from the TV (the TV says "no signal") and then reconnect a second or two later. Sometimes after this blackout, the sound would completely go out and I would need to turn the TV off and back on again to get the sound to return. I thought that it might be our TV since it is a little bit older. However, our TV went out and I had to purchase a new one. Now the problem is about 50 times worse. I can't even watch TV from the cable box because it goes off and on every few seconds. I have tired all of the recommended fixes that I could find: I have checked all connections (they are all tight), I have replaced the HDMI cord, I have tried different ports on my TV, I have tired to lower the resolution on the cable box (when I did this, it wouldn't connect at all), I have turned off the setting that automatically changes to the best resolution, and I have restarted the box (by signal and by physically unplugging it) several times. There are times that I can watch for a few minutes in-between blackouts, but they are few and far between. We recently reattached the cord (we didn't have any TV provider for several years) and we are close to cutting it again. We can watch the TV directly without any problem, we can stream video from the TV, play Xbox games, etc. The problem only happens when trying to watch TV on the cable box.

Official Employee

• 

4K Messages

3 years ago

Greetings, @dsharkness! Thanks for reaching out to us on the Forums! I hope you are having an amazing day! I apologize to hear that you are running into this issue with trying to enjoy your services through the cable box. You have come to the right place. We appreciate everything you have tried so far to fix the problem! Before we get diving into the account does the coax on the back of the box run to a wall plate or does it go into a splitter before going into the wall plate? Splitters can go out at any time causing issues with the signal going to the box. We look forward to getting this issue resolved for you!

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@XfinityMichaelC thank for the reply. The coax cable is connected directly into a wall socket. I also have turned on the low signal indicator and haven't got a low signal indication. 

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Thank you so much for your response @dsharkness and confirming the coax cable is connected directly to the wall. How long have you been experiencing this issue and how long have you had your current cable box? I'd definitely like to take a closer look at your equipment. 

To get started,  please send us a direct chat message with your full name and service address to Xfinity Support. To do so, click on the chat icon located at the top right of this forums page.

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us: 
 • Click "Sign In" if necessary
 • Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon (upper right corner of this page)
 • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
 • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
 • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
 • Press Enter to send your message

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

3 years ago

I don't know your connection (audio/video) of course. using your TV's speakers is there sound available (turn up volume to assure the audio should be playing) and working when the video is cut off on the TV?  Is the TV attached to the set top box directly via HDMI cable? if so, when this problem happens, unplug one end of the HDMI then reinsert into the HDMI jack until feeling and hearing a definite 'click'. do same for other end of the HDMI cable. did either reinsertion with a click turn the video back on?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here