Ajt_2735's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

11 Messages

Saturday, August 3rd, 2024 4:35 PM

4k unusable, how to change back to just AUTO HD

For some reason, my xfinity box has begun AUTO choosing 4k channels instead of HD channels the last few weeks. Xfinity and my 4k Samsung tv dont like each other. 4k channels are extremely dark and I can't even read the guide. Is there a way to remove 4k channels or at least go back to where the guide AUTO chooses HD instead of 4k?

Problem Solver

• 

359 Messages

2 months ago

@Ajt_2735 The only 4K channel is 1350, the USA4K Olympics channel.  It's HDR and you may need to adjust your TV to deal with the changes in brightness from SDR.  The guide and other overlays will always be dark when watching an HDR source as there's no instructions telling the X1 box to brighten them.

As for autotuning to 4K, go to Settings/Preferences/General and turn off Prefer Best Available Resolution.  That also turns off autotuning from SD to HD as there's just the one setting.  But, USA4K will go away in ten days and you can turn that feature on again as there won't be any 4K channels after the Olympics.

(edited)

Regular Visitor

• 

11 Messages

Thanks so much. I did turn off autotuning because of this, but will turn back on after the olympics. Yeah, tried adjusting TV settings but it just stays really dark. Read a LOT of people having this problem with Xfinity's 4k feed, and like I mentioned, 4k from anywhere else looks great (youtube, etc). Thanks for info👍

Problem Solver

• 

359 Messages

Glad to help.   Sorry HDR isn't working for you.  The USA4K channel with HDR is bright and colorful on both of my LG OLEDs. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here