Cryptik's profile

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

Friday, April 17th, 2020 3:00 PM

Closed

1Pst on main X1 Box (DVR)

Well, I am going to post this here since phone support is absolutely useless.  Spent literally three hours on the phone with Comcast to resolve my DVR issue to no avail.

About four days ago, my X1 DVR box died.  Tried to turn on the TV and was greeted with the "Welcome" message and the LED display on the box said "boot".  Tried restarting it several times, no joy. Checked all the connections ... no spitters ... just a Comscope amp/splitter that Comcast installed about three years ago.  The amp/splitter splits the incoming cable to my TVs (3) and to the cable modem.  The Internet is working perfectly.

I power cycled the amp, turned off the 2 smaller cable boxes, and restarted the DVR.  Still no Joy.

Contacted Comcast and went through the entire process again.  Finally, they said they would send me a new DVR (after a 6.99 monthly charge sign-up that they promised would be refunded). 

I received the new box, plugged it in... got the same message but then the box stuck on "1Pst".  Did all of the above again, but no Joy.  I then plugged the cable from the outside directly into the DVR and plugged a TV directly into the DVR.  The new box gets past "boot" but displays "1Pst" message". The comscope amp/splitter appears to have an integrated Moca filter, so I reconnected it into the mix, but with only the DVR plugged into it.  No joy.  Tried different ports on the amp...still no joy.

During this entire time... and even now with everything connected back up... the Internet works great along with the comcast phone service... but no cable.

I am not sure what else to try now.  I figured that if the cable at the street was out, I would not get Internet.  Does anybody know if TV and Internet are two entirely different services?  Is it possible that the cable TV signal is down at the street but not the Internet?

Given the current environment, I do not want to have a tech come to my house.  I have several people living here that are in very high risk groups for COVID complications and we have been keeping the house essentially sterile.  Any advice would be helpful.

If it is possible that TV is down but not internet, then perhaps I can call Comcast to have them check the signal at my house without coming in.  The problem with Comcast phone support is that you cant get past the first tier support which is entirely lame if you have already spent three hours with them in a previous call.  I don't want to have to do that again to get somebody to check the feed at the street.

Thanks in advance for any advice you all might have.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 years ago

Does it work if you take the dvr to where one of the smaller boxes are? That message means there’s not a usable signal. It pretty much points the cause being the amp itself. Does the commscope have a green light lit? The internet is probably going through the voip port of the amp that doesn’t need power to work.(why you have internet).

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 years ago

Your internet and X1 box uses the same “channels” to operate. It’s probably the box since you stated your Internet is working fine

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

5 years ago

@CCAndrew Thank you for the reply.  So I did try that... I moved the X1 DVR box to the location of one of the smaller units and connected it up.  It still displayed the "1Pst" error.  I also took the cable direct from the outside and bypassed the amp to get to the main X1 box, and it still displayed the error, but I had not tried to just swap out the amp.  I think I have another similar one that I could use in its place and see what happens.  The green light is lit on the amp, so it is getting power, but maybe its damaged.

Let me see if I have another amp and give that a try.

Thanks

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 years ago

Can you get into your modem and post your modem levels? It will give an indication if something is wrong. Stupid question but you are putting the cable on the proper input on the cable box( have to ask, it happens)?

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

5 years ago

Ok, so I swapped out the Comsope amp/splitter.  The one I have is CSMAPDU9VP.  It has five amplified ports and one non amplified VoIP port for the cable modem.  I removed it and put in an EVO1-9 (all I had).  I could get the Internet working, but not the cable TV.  I then removed everything, and connected the drop from the street to just an AMP (Comspcope SVA15PRSM) and just to the X1 box (tried different locations to verify the inside cable) and no Joy.

So, I have put the CSMAPDU9VP back into service.  The drop coming from outside is connected to the "In" port.  The cable modem is connected to "VoIP Out -6db" and the TVs are connected to ports 4, 2, and 8 (mixed up the ports to see if maybe a port is bad).  Again, Internet and phone works great but no TV.  I have used the new X1 box they sent me... no Joy... and the old one... no Joy.  Can't get past the "1Pst" error.

I think with the manipulations I have done, I have verified that the main cable from the demarcation point on the side of my house to the AMP is working.  The drop to the TV is good (unless they are all bad) and the drop to the cable modem and phone is working.  If the AMP was bad, I would have expected that the two replacement amps that I have would have fixed the issue...

so all I can think is that it is something on the street or the street to my house that is killing cable signals but not internet.  It makes no sense to me.

Maybe they sent me a bad replacement???

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

5 years ago

LOL, not a stupid question.  I work with communications and computer networks... and as you know, it happens.  Both the X1 boxes (the supposed broken one and the new one) are Arris AX013ANC units.  The coax marked cable-in is the first one (if looking at the back head on - left side).

I swapped the old unit back in...just to make sure I did not mix them up.  The old one never gets past "boot" but the new one gets stuck at "1Pst".

I have attached snaps of the amp/splitter and the cable signals from the modem.  I am not sure how to interpret the cable signals.  Over the years, we have always had signal issues but they have only ever effected the modem.  Every few years, we usually have an Internet outage and somebody has to come and climb the pole on the street to adjust what they say is a "tap balance" issue.  Once they do that, Internet service is restored.  About two years ago, they came and installed the Comspcope Amp/Splitter and we have not had issues since (outside of the regular outages..lol).

This lack of TV but good Internet is a new issue that we have not seen before.

On the Comspcope, I have the TVs connected to 4, 8, and 6.  The Cable Modem is on the port labeled VoIP out.  I just did that today as it was connected to one of the TV ports.  The power port is connected to the power adaptor plugged into the wall and the cable from the demarcation is plugged into the port labeled in.  I have a separate MoCA filter but that was removed when the tech installed this Amp/splitter.  I am assuming it has an integrated MoCA band pass filter.

UPATE: Speed test reports 167 Up and 12 down.  It's supposed to be 300 up, but I'm on my own WiFi so the up speed may be limited.

2 Attachments

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I’m having the same issue

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 years ago

Everything looks in spec. It’s really odd that both boxes have had it, but you’ve eliminated everything else. It’s not unheard of to have multiple bad boxes, so much for QA. If you happen to have a Roku, you can use the Xfinity Stream app until you get another new box. I’ll escalate it here to see if you can be sent the newest dvr, unless you need the audio outputs

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

5 years ago

That would be great @CCAndrew.  I just sent the first old box back.  When they sent me the new box, they said they were adding a 6.99/month charge to my account.  I thought this was odd...since the first DVR box is 5.00/mo.  They promised that I would get the 6.99 refunded and removed once the old box was received.  If you are able to escilate this, that would be awesome.  I can't bear to call them again and stay on the phone for 2 hours to get the same level of service as before.  It is so hard with this company to get to a knowledgeable tech.  I only use the HDMI out on these boxes, so sure.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

adding ... MoCA in these powered splitters works by what is termed leakage. the amp you showed is probably two boards in one unit. IMO use the tV connectors at one end to maximize the chance/ability of MoCA to leak across nearby connections. ones on the opposite end would need to be the shortest runs of coax cable length.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 years ago

Moca isn’t the issue.
@Cryptik, it’s been escalated to an Official Employee, expect a response here

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks so much @CCAndrew. I so appreciate your time in helping me with this issue. Stay safe.

Official Employee

• 

6.9K Messages

5 years ago

Hi @Cryptik

Thank you for being a valued customer and thank you for using the forums! I agree with @CCAndrew. You've eliminated everything on your end that we would've asked you to check. I'd be happy to get a new box shipped to you. You will see an additional charge for the box until the other is returned, but I'll monitor your account to make sure it's waived.

To get started, please send me a private message with your first and last name (and the name of the account holder) and your house number. To send a private message, click on "ComcastChe" and then click send a message. 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I am having the EXACT same problem!! Even after they sent me a new box! Internet and my other two boxes work. Have you found a solution?

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@AandMettler wrote:
I am having the EXACT same problem!! Even after they sent me a new box! Internet and my other two boxes work. Have you found a solution?

Is the local Xfinity store nearby? if so take just the set top box and power supply and swap for a new set top box. 

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

4 years ago

Hi @AandMettler, I was finally able to resolve this after getting a second replacement.  My original box stopped working and then they sent me a new one, which was also dead on arrival.  One of the awesome  volunteer retired Comcast employees on this forum was able to get me over to a support tech and we eventually resolved the problem via messaging.  Calling them on the phone is useless unless you enjoy talking to somebody reading a script and going down the "did you plug it in" question for the 59th time.  The end result was that they sent me a third box and it worked perfectly.  Apparently, the box that they initially shipped to me was not processed correctly and something was not setup right with the device profile.  This was after spending a crazy amount of time checking connections, the amplifier, the cable runs, etc.  Nuts.

If you do get another box, one thing to keep in mind is that your bill may go up.  They promised me that it would not... but my monthly bill is now $5 higher per month.  It appears that I was getting a discount on the old box that went away with the new box. Typical Comcast.  I have been a customer for more than a decade.. and they still pull this garbage.  I am considering dropping cable at some point.

See if you can get yourself another box and try it out.  Before you go to the local Comcast store, make sure they are open.  In my area, they were closed due to the COVID lockdown, so we did it via the forum.

Good luck.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here