U

Thursday, September 7th, 2023 9:38 PM

Closed

two step verification

Hello, i am able to turn on and turn off two step verification, but what i would like to know,

is if i can make =email= the default for the code. As it is now, if i set up two step verification,

when i log on, the code is sent to text on my phone, and i have an -option- to receive code by email,

but even if i opt for email, a code is still sent to text. What i want is to have code sent to email with

an option for text.  I don't really want code sent to text every time i log on.  Is this possible? 

Like, I log on to comcast  email and code is sent to secondary email, but no code is sent to text.  

thank you

me

Official Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

10 months ago

Hey there, @user_dbe81b thanks for reaching out through Xfinity Forums regarding the email address on your account. You would be able to make changes to the email address we have on file. Here is a link with the details, https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/add-modify-alternate-email-address. You will want to ensure that the email address you would like to receive those codes to is listed as your preferred email address. Let us know if you have any additional questions! 

17 Messages

hello there  XfinityJeniece,

no, this doesn't work, as i still get codes sent to Text on my telephone,

and i would like the codes sent to my email address because i am on

a PC[personal computer] .

right now, i have a comcast email address, and a secondary email from another provider[email-at-some-place.com]

and a telephone number .  even if i make the  [mail-at-some-place.com] the preferred email on the account,

i still get a code sent to TExt on my phone when i sign up for two step verification, and i don't want that.

when i set up two step verification, i would like the code sent to [mail-at-some-place.com]

and NO code sent to text on my phone.

i'msure this is possible, but right now, i can't do this.

thank you for your time;

me

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Thank you for clarifying. All the documentation I could find indicates you can have the verification code sent to your mobile number or third-party email address, like you mentioned, unless you are using the Xfinity app. The app allows you to authenticate with yes/no push notifications, biometric scanning (face or fingerprint), text or email codes, and a code generator in the app.

I wasn't aware the default pattern for PC browsers was to send you a text first, and then allow you to select email afterward, but you are absolutely correct. I don't think there is currently an option to have that pattern reversed, or set the default to go to email first, but I would be more than happy to propose this to our developers, and see if it was something that could be added.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

17 Messages

thank you JamesC and Jeniece,

I've been getting prompted to turn on two-step-verification, so i tried it and that's my issue with it.

I think i'll be ok for now without using two-step, it's just sort of clumsy for /me/ on a PC.

thanks again;

me

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

You are most welcome! Thanks again for bringing this to my attention. I will update this post if we receive any kind of feedback from the development team.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Greetings again, @user_dbe81b! I've been working on this with our development team over the past few weeks, and I wanted to let you know what I was able to find out.

It seems our two-step verification is programmed to default to the most secure option available. Any time there is both a mobile number and an email address available for verification (coincidentally, the minimum requirement for 2SV), the system will default to the mobile number, as you pointed out. You can always ask for an email afterward, but it won't bypass the initial text.

There is actually a more secure authentication method available now, through the Xfinity app on your mobile device. Once enabled, it will change the default verification to the app. That way, when you try to log in to your account on ANY device, you will receive a push notification from the Xfinity app, instead of a text message. The notification can then be approved through any security measure built in to your phone (fingerprint, face ID, passcode, etc.).

I set this up last week, and it really makes the process go smoothly. If I try to log in to my account on my PC, my phone will "ding", and a banner pops up saying "Someone is trying to log in to your account. - Approve or Deny?". If I hit "Approve", it will scan my face, and my PC will open my account. So much faster than waiting for a code, then typing in that code.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here