ams68's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Monday, August 24th, 2020 7:00 PM

Closed

Moved, account number changed, no access to new account

The recent storm in the Midwest displaced me to a new apartment in the same building. I have the new account set up for the new apartment, and I was given the number over the phone. I was told a new account number is created when you move.

However, I can only access the previous account, which is indicated as closed. There is no option to access the new account for my current address, although my network will pop up for 5-10 minutes at a time a few times a day and I can access the web normally for this short window of time. I am not able to access hotspots at all. The apps all link me to the same old, closed account. What can I do or how long am I paying for service I cannot access?

Accepted Solution

Official Employee

• 

839 Messages

4 years ago

For the forum folks, there were some different actions we've had to take on the overall issue to resolve, please feel free to refer to this so you can skip the need to call in:

1. Issue 1
    1. Symptom 
      1. Account sign-in issue
    2. Cause
      1. Account was set to the wrong default after a move
    3. Solution
      1. Set the correct default. You can set the defaults yourself via https://customer.xfinity.com/#/settings/account/linked-accounts and select "make primary" on the account you want.
  2. Issue 2
    1. Symptom
      1. Account sign-in issue (still errors out)
    2. Cause
      1. Caching issue
    3. Solution
      1. opened a browser in incognito mode, and it was a caching issue
      2. Try opening a private browser to verify, then clearing your cache.
  3. Issue 3
    1. Symptom
      1. Couldn't sign in to WiFi Hotspot
    2. Cause
      1. Captive portal browser that pops up closed (also due to issue 2)
    3. Solution
      1. Clear cache in browser
  4. Issue 4
    1. Symptom
      1. Internet Connectivity Issue
    2. Cause
      1. Modem wasn't correctly provisioned with the right boot file
    3. Solution
      1. Fixed by reprovisioning on the agent side

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

When you move you might expect Comcast to move your logins from the old account to the new one, but they often don't. Instead, they create a new Primary login which they may or may not tell you about.

Double check your UserIDs on your home system with the Lookup tool at https://idm.xfinity.com/myaccount/lookup. After you enter the requested information you'll see a list of the UserIDs on your account and an indication of which one is Primary.

If the IDs are not as you expect, contact one of their reps at the phone number on your bill or 1-800-Comcast, or use one of the other options on https://www.xfinity.com/support/contact-us/ and have them fix the problem. You might have better luck with their Comcast Security Assurance department. You can reach them at 1-888-565-4329 (from https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/report-abuse/).

Official Employee

• 

839 Messages

4 years ago

Hi @ams68 ,

Your default account was set to your old one, we've made back-end changes to prevent this from happening (always setting the newer account as the default during a move/transfer) so we're investigating how this one slipped. You should be able to sign in now, let me know if it's still an issue.

Thanks!

Jonathan

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

We are still experiencing intermittent disruptions, connected less than half the time, but it is improving for the time being. I cannot consistently access my account and appear completely barred from Xfinity Wifi as a backup. I will continue to update.

Edit: Within exactly 5 minutes of being able to connect, read your post and respond, the network disappeared. My partner and I have been commenting that the internet is only available for "like 5 minutes three times a day" but I actually think this is exactly how much internet we have been able to access. And my devices still cannot use XfinityWifi (the hotspot or whatever you call it) as backup.

Official Employee

• 

839 Messages

4 years ago

Hi all,

@ams68 was able to go to a retail store and swap out his XB6 that was overheating for an XB7 and things are working fine now.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here