JG5881's profile

Contributor

• 

68 Messages

Tuesday, August 15th, 2023 9:27 PM

Closed

"The IMEI you entered is not eligible for a trade-in offer" - why not?

As the title says, I'm trying to do a trade but getting rejected. The phone I have is a Pixel 6, purchased directly from Xfinity Mobile and now fully paid off. It wasn't even part of a promo, just a regular full price phone. When I try to purchase a new phone and use the Pixel 6 as a trade-in, I get the message saying IMEI is not eligible for trade-in offer. 

I did a chat but they claim to have no idea and suggest I visit an Xfinity store. That's a multi-hour trip for me so I am trying to get it figured out here. Can anyone help? Again, there's no reason this phone, purchased direct from Xfinity and fully paid off, should not work as a trade-in.

Contributor

• 

68 Messages

1 year ago

Can anyone from Xfinity help with this?

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Hey there, thanks for being part of our XFINITY Mobile family. We'd love to help, but we don't have access to XFINITY Mobile accounts via social media, I do apologize.

We would suggest contacting our Mobile experts via one of the following methods:

• SMS Text Message: 1 (888) 936-4968
• Phone: 1 (888) 936-4968
• Chat: https://www.xfinity.com/xfinityassistant/?channel=xMobile

Our XFINITY Mobile partners are available daily from 7 am to 9 pm EST. I'm confident they'll be able to get this resolved for you. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

5 Messages

1 year ago

Any luck getting this resolved? Same issue I'm having with an Xfinity purchased Galaxy S21 and using chat was of no help.

Contributor

• 

68 Messages

1 year ago

No, I already tried the online chat and they were of no help at all. Just confirmed that it is not showing eligible for some reason, and told me to go to the nearest Xfinity Mobile store. I do have one across town but in my experience it is always jam packed and takes hours to get any help. So I am not excited to do that.

No idea why this would be happening. I initially thought it might be related to the phone being locked to Xfinity, or just due to the fact that I only recently paid it off. Like maybe it needed a few days to show up as free and clear. But I waited a week, and had them unlock it just in case, but still no change in the trade in situation. 

Xfinity reps: why does this forum exist if you have no access to Xfinity Mobile accounts? And how does that make sense considering you often direct people to send a direct message, at which point you actually do fix certain issues? I know this because I have done it several times over the years. So it feels disingenuous to say you can't access our accounts, and to pawn us off on Chats, 800 numbers, and physical stores. You can do better than that.

Official Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

I understand the frustration, however we truly don't have access to the tools required to answer account specific Xfinity Mobile questions. You mentioned that you had tried the online chat, have you also attempted to call the 800 number? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

5 Messages

@JG5881​ 

I did the exact thing you did, recently paid it off, only because it shows in the list of eligible trade-ins, called Xfinity to have them unlock it, waited a week, and yet I still get the IMEI not eligible message. I went to my local store and they were completely confused as to why this was happening since both the website and their paperwork showed its an eligible model. They told me they would submit a ticket regarding this. I contacted them after a week and they said they still weren't sure why. I'm not sure if they ever actually got a reply from the ticket but their response makes me question that.

My guess is that the company Xfinity is using for this trade-in program, Assurant, is being selective on which phones they are accepting even though they list them on the Xfinity website as being eligible.

Maybe they aren't accepting them because they were locked Xfinity phones, which even though they are now unlocked its known that carrier based phones don't always have the same bands/channels on them as factory unlocked phones so while the technically should work with any provider they still may not have certain features available such as WI-FI or video calling. They will also have carrier bloatware on them that cant be taken off so you will see Xfinity apps no matter what carrier you use.  Add on to this that my phone is the lower 128GB model and this obviously makes the phone less desirable on the used market which is being used against us with this trade-in program but we are not being told this until we enter the IMEI which comes after it has us pay off the device.

Totally misleading.

Contributor

• 

68 Messages

@user_303​ 

The thing is, I have traded in multiple phones in the past few years, which had all come from Xfinity Mobile. Didn't even have the previous ones unlocked. So I just don't see any difference between those and the current Pixel 6 situation. 

I honestly think it's some sort of error rather than a conscious choice from Assurance. My experience with Assurance tells me they are pretty inept/disorganized. So I doubt they are proactive to the point where they are blocking certain trades by IMEI. And nobody at Xfinity Mobile can be bothered to figure out what the error is caused by, so here we are.

Contributor

• 

68 Messages

@XfinityBillie​ 

Yes, I have called a few times. The call center folks know about as much as the chat people, which is to say not very much at all. 

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

@JG5881 since you have already worked with our Xfinity Mobile team by chat and phone send us a direct message. You can use the Direct Messaging icon at the top of the page. It's next to the bell icon. Just send your name and service address to "Xfinity Support." 

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

1 year ago

I am getting the same error.   

Metro by T-Mobile A54 5G

Supposed to be worth $800 in bill credits which is monthly credits for 24 months(they offer $300 w/o trade so it is really like $500 for trade in )

Anyway , I get error "The IMEI you entered isn’t eligible for a trade-in offer.Try again"

Forgive if this is a double post .  Website is being finicky

2 Messages

1 year ago

Same issue here. Purchased my phone from Samsung directly. It was never locked or part of a payment plan. IMEI not eligible. No resolution. 

Contributor

• 

68 Messages

1 year ago

As seen above, since I had no luck via chat or calling the 800 number, I was invited to send a direct message to Xfinity Support via this forum. They took my info and generated a ticket number. One of their "experts" is supposed to look into it and get back to me within 48 hours. So we'll see if that help or not. I will update with a resolution, or lack of one, after a few days. 

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

@JG5881​ Any updates?

5 Messages

1 year ago

Well now that we have examples of this happening to people with phones brought in from outside of Xfinity it made me even more frustrated that we're not getting a concrete answer as to why this is happening. I called the 800 number once again and though I started to get the standard script answers of going into a store (already did, see previous post) or that the offer only applies to new lines (totally incorrect as the website clearly states you can upgrade an existing line) I insisted my agent submit a ticket to whomever can give me an actual reason as to why its ineligible. They did and gave me a reference number for the ticket and told me it could take up to five business days. Deadline is in 2 days at which point I'll post an update as well.

Contributor

• 

68 Messages

1 year ago

I received an email from someone at "Xfinity Mobile Executive Resolutions" about the issue. No specifics yet, it was just the initial generic contact to let me know they will be my point of contact to discuss the "concern(s)". They gave a direct phone number and email address which seems much more promising than a chat or 800 number, but only time will tell.

I do intend to convey that this issue seems more widespread than just my own particular IMEI. So if it is some type of system error, maybe we can get it fixed for everyone. 

Will keep this thread updated about what happens next. 

Official Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

@JG5881 We appreciate you keeping us in the loop! We will continue to monitor the ticket and stay in communication with you until your concern has been resolved.

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Hopefully the concern can be resolved for all without the need to open separate ticketes

Contributor

• 

68 Messages

Today I got an email from a different person from the "Xfinity Mobile Executive Resolutions" team, saying she was actually taking over on this issue. Not sure why but apparently the first person is no longer available.

I had already expressed that I work long hours during which I can easily email but can't really talk on the phone. This new agent says they do need to have a quick phone conversation to authenticate my account, and then email will work for all further communication. Unfortunately I won't have time to connect on the phone until Monday. 

So the saga continues until then I guess. 

5 Messages

1 year ago

Well I hope you have better luck than I did. I pretty much knew my fate when nobody from Xfinity contacted me back and I had to call them.

First agent I spoke to said my ticket was closed and that's all he could tell me. Transferred me to "Tier 2" support which also told me the system showed the ticket was closed but but also said it didn't look like the ticket even addressed my issue! After going through my whole story and all the steps I've taken for the millionth time he supposedly tried "a couple different ways" to make the trade in on his side but all he could get was "the system" saying the model was not eligible. He had no explanation as to why the Xfinity website, the store, and my personal account all show that the model is eligible for $800 in trade-in value up until the point where you enter the IMEI. After another hour of my life lost I gave up, told them thanks and hung up.

Useless

Regular Visitor

• 

7 Messages

1 year ago

same issue Fix it already!!!

2 Messages

1 year ago

Just like you guys I have been banging my head with customer service via phone, store, and chat. I'm blown away at how little information "supervisors" and "managers" have access to and how little authority they have to correct what is clearly a mistake in their system. 

Story time if anyone wants to know what a disaster it was after I decided to give up and pay out of pocket for a phone.

I decided to give up on the trade in yesterday.  I visited the Xfinity store to buy a pixel 7 pro out of pocket because the price is actually pretty decent right now. (Was going to trade for s23 ultra). 

They insisted on trying the trade in again and of course it didn't work and of course there was no explanation or fix. I'm past it at this point.

Me-Please just checkout the pixel 7 pro, do you have any in stock?

Them- let me check. (5 minutes go buy and he comes back with a phone). I have one here. I placed the order and it shipped to your house for some reason. Let me get my manager. 

Manager- I can place another order but it will charge your card again and the first charge won't drop off for 5 or 6 days.

Me-No problem, let's just get it fixed. 

Manager places the order and gives me a phone. After I open it, I notice it's kind of small. I look at the box and notice it's a pixel 7. Not a pixel 7 pro. 

The employees were messing around in the back figuring out a sim card for some reason even though I told them I would just pop in the sim from my old device. 

Employee comes back. 

Me- I have more bad news. This phone is a pixel 7 not a pixel 7 pro.

Employees are shocked and go to the back again 

Manager comes out

Manager- Is there a reason why you wanted a pixel 7 pro and not a pixel 7? 

I found that question so ridiculous and I chuckled a bit. Did they just make a mistake and are now trying to convince me to keep this phone? 

Me- I wanted the s23 ultra but you won't take my device and don't know why. I settled on the P7Pro because it has a bigger screen and better camera. I wouldnt trade in an s23 for a pixel 7. Not to mention they're the same price right now ($599).

After he briefly argued with me on price and said it's $899 I showed him otherwise.  Manager goes to the back and come out again.

Manager- if I return this pixel 7 today it'll be a $35 restocking fee.

Me- No it's not. You're going to call someone and credit my account that money. 

Manager- Xfinity is really strict about their fees.

Me- so strict that when you make a mistake I have to pay for it?

Manager- we don't have the authorization to credit account let me give you a direct line to support. (which was a direct line to an automated system that refuses to connect an agent)

To wrap this up. They did not have a P7PRO in stock, just the regular pixel 7 which is why initially the order automatically shipped to my house. This whole process was an hour and a half of my day. I left with no phone and a $35 charge for their mistakes.

Bravo 👏

Xfinity. Stop with the surveys. You know what you're doing wrong. Give your managers the authority to fix basic problems. While I was waiting, all I heard next to me was countless people pissed off about the perceived incompetence of customer service. 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

I'm getting the same issue with the error "The IMEI you entered isn’t eligible for a trade-in offer." after the page clearly says my Samsung A13 5G phone is eligible for a $500 trade-in credit.  I have contacted Xfinity through Chat, Phone, and in person at the Xfinity store and no one has been able to figure this out.  The guy at the Xfinity Store said he created a ticket, but I have not heard back from him or Xfinity about it and he has not answered any of my emails to him.  This sounds like a large system issue that needs to get resolved for a lot of people.  I'm very curious to hear how @JG5881 makes out with the "Xfinity Mobile Executive Resolutions" team.

(edited)

Regular Visitor

• 

7 Messages

1 year ago

I don't really think they trying to fix problem, I have tried all available ways, chat, phone direct message, no one can fix , not even so called experts. They just wait till promotion ends on Sept 7 th , so they can stop avoiding this problem.

Contributor

• 

68 Messages

1 year ago

Minor update - I had to call in to "authenticate" my account, but got no answer on Monday when I tried 3 different times. So I sent an email asking if there was any alternative. A reply came from the original agent I has been dealing with, rather than the new one assigned to take over, and this one had better availability. I was able to reach him on Tuesday and just had to verify my address and the last 4 digits of my card on file. Now I am "authenticated" and able to do the rest via email.

Today (Wednesday) they replied asking for my IMEI and phone number again. After providing that, they responded that there were some "mismatched errors" on my device that needed to be corrected. That was supposedly fixed so they asked me to try again. I did, but still getting the same error. So I've provided screenshots of that and they are "submitting a ticket" for me. 

That's where we stand as of right now. I don't know what the expectation is in terms of time frame for this ticket. I'll update when I learn more. Note that I do plan on making it clear this is a more widespread issue and not unique to me. Again no idea if that will help, but I'll do my part. EDIT I also want to add that this "executive resolutions" team seems to be a higher tier of support than anything I've ever experienced with Xfinity before. Agents have their own extensions and from what I can tell seem to be based in the USA (judging from their voices). If this proves successful I plan to ask about how we might access them in the future rather than wasting time on the other methods.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

787 Messages

Hello, I just wanted to check in and make sure one of our Xfinity Mobile representatives has been assisting you with your issue. I did see in the ticket history that they emailed you yesterday, did you recieve that message? 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

I tried sending a direct message to Xfinity Support as directed to @JG5581 and I was met with this response:

"We are extremely sorry for the bad experience. Through this platform we are unable to assist with Xfinity Mobile. I did include here below all the different methods you are able to use to touch base to check the status of your ticket. SMS Text Message: 1 (888) 936-4968 Phone: 1 (888) 936-4968 Chat: https://www.xfinity.com/xfinityassistant/?channel=xMobile

Did I contact the wrong group?  Why are they not supporting Xfinity Mobile through the direct messaging?

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

@MeNotYou955 Thank you for connecting with us here in our community. We will continue via your Direct Message. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here