G

Sunday, September 24th, 2023 7:33 PM

Closed

Not being able to temporary turn off/on data is ridiculous.

I have kids who are on “by the gig” plans who frequently go over. Why is there not a way for me to simply select “once they reach the limit” turn off? (Dumb question, I know exactly why, because Xfinity wants to keep charging me). 
Give us the freedom to actually manage our own data! 

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

10 months ago

Hello, @Gabbatron. Thanks for posting on our Community Forums for assistance. The By the Gig plan comes with HD streaming and LTE speed personal hotspots. But if you don't need these features, Data Saver allows you to turn them off, per line, helping you reduce data usage and save money. 

Here are the steps for your convenience: 

1. Log in to your Xfinity Mobile account or our app.
  2. Go to the Data Details for the By the Gig line you'd like to enable Data Saver for.
  3. Select Turn On Data Saver.
  4. Confirm your action.
  5. Turn airplane mode on and off on that line's device. Otherwise, it may take up to three days to kick in. To turn it off, just follow the same steps.

I'm not sure if this might help. But is worth the try. Here in our forums platform, we are a bit limited on the Xfinity Mobile assistance we can provide. Have you tried reaching out to our awesome Xfinity Mobile team for more assistance on our mobile plans? We might be able to find other options to assist with your data concern. 

You can contact our awesome team by any of these means: 

- SMS Text Message: 1 (888) 936-4968

- Phone: 1 (888) 936-4968

- Chat

I'm confident that the experts on our Mobile team will be more than happy to assist you with this. Please let me know if there's anything else we can help with today.

2 Messages

@XfinityDilary​ 

Already turned those off. I may need to give Xfinity a call again. It’s been a while, but last time they just told me “no, not possible,” which blows my mind, because several other carriers allow for it and make me wonder if it’s time for a switch.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Thanks for trying that, @Gabbatron. Yes, I would recommend you give us a call. We can check if anything has changed or if other data options might work better for you. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

1 Message

6 months ago

Why is there no way to pause cellular usage for my child? I'm considering moving to another carrier just to get this option.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

@Tank9er Hello! We would recommend going here (Parental Controls and Xfinity Mobile.) there are instructions for both Android and iPhone devices.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

1 Message

Controlling data at the device level is not a solution when you have teenagers. I have a new 3 line plan and my child used all 20 gb of data in a couple of weeks. I spoke with a service representative by phone (who was clearly not in the US, did not speak English well, and was obviously reading from a script) who told me this would be completed and I would get an email when it was finished and nothing ever happened. No follow up other than a satisfaction survey where I voiced my disappointment and frustration, and stll have heard nothing from Xfinity. If Xfinity doesn't figure out how to give me the ability turn off mobile data externally for any or all of the lines on my plan, I will have no choice but to find another carrier that meets our needs. I am disappointed that I was mislead by the salesperson about this before switching to Xfinity. 

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

Hello there @user_77tffu!  Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to Xfinity Support to voice your conveners about your mobile data.  We greatly appreciate you taking time out of your day to reach out to us here and want to ensure you’re able to get in touch with an awesome Xfinity Mobile expert to help get this resolved. Due to account security, our options with Xfinity Mobile accounts are very limited on this platform. We're unable to perform any device or account specific requests over this platform. Have you tried calling or texting 1 (888) 936-4968, or reached out to our secure online chat at xfinity.com/xfinityassistant/?channel=xMobile where an Xfinity Mobile expert is available 24/7?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here