TerriB's profile

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

Wednesday, April 10th, 2024 5:19 PM

New mobile 'by the gig ' rates

Been an Xfinity Mobile customer since  right after it was launched..  We  got  a great ideal for $12  for two lines  ( plus had to buy phones of course) and  we share 1GB data . We use WIFI and rarely need to turn data on so this is perfect for two senior citizens.

Got an email recently  that says...........................

"As we work to bring you the best possible service, we regularly review our offerings and adjust them as needed. Today, we're reaching out with two updates on your Xfinity Mobile plan.'

First, we want to let you know that starting May 1, 2024, the cost of By the Gig data will increase to:

$20/mo for 1 GB

$35/mo for 3 GB

$65/mo for 10 GB

--------------

PLEASE tell me that this does NOT apply to the plan we have.

Thanks

Contributor

• 

73 Messages

1 month ago

I had the same question, and was told it applies to all XM Customers.   I having being paying $12 for 1GB, but rarely used even a tenth of that each month, as I am largely housebound and use my wifi.   

I have Xfinity/Comcast for internet, too - and am dependent up the ACP (Affordable Connectivity Program), which provided $30.00 a month towards internet for qualifying low-Income Americans.    Because Congress has let funding for ACP lapse, the last $30.00 grant is for this month (April).   

So, May brings me a $30.00 higher internet bill, and an $8.00 increase in mobile data.    

The data increase seems like a tech version of greedflation to me, and is very poorly timed, given that so many Customers are simultaneously facing loss of ACP benefits.

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

Thanks so much for the information. I am more upset now hearing what you were told. The $12 a month was part of the 'agreement' for the early XM customers so now we are at the mercy of Xfinity for any and all increases in the future.  I don't recall any 'fine print' that they could raise the cost at their discretion. We were not qualified for the ACP but on fixed income and  seniors on SS.. We don't get out much and rely on all things Xfinity for 'entertainment'. The TV/internet/landline is almost $300 and they are offering us promotion packages like they have done over the years. Having the $12 for XM was a blessing but not NOW!  I fear more increases to come and nothing we can do about it. We are at their mercy and there seems to be little of that.

16 Messages

Just got my new bill and has increased from $12 to $20. So much for grandfathering !

Official Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

1 month ago

Hello @TerriB! We appreciate you taking the time to reach out about this Xfinity Mobile billing concern/question. We really can't thank you enough for being a loyal and long-time customer with us, you're truly valued.

I can confirm that the information regarding the cost of By the Gig data increasing is correct, and will apply starting May 1st. As an Xfinity Mobile customer myself, I do understand your concerns, and we do apologize for any inconvenience or frustration this may cause you. I will absolutely get your feedback passed along to our Xfinity Mobile management team.

In the meantime, you may want to consider upgrading to the fifth-generation data plan pricing which could offer more savings based on their data usage. Please follow this link https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/learn/plan/details?INTCMP=ILC:plan_unl, for more information. You can also contact our Xfinity Mobile support center through any of the following methods for more information: 

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

Thanks Amira, Not happy about such a big increase for those who really should be 'grandfathered' as some of the very first X Mobile customers. If these types of big jumps in cost continues its going to make many of us switch to other carriers who are offering  better and better rates for unlimited data. We left our perfect T-Mobile  service to take advantage of the new X Mobile service  which was free then and then it was $12 and now its $20. Where does this end?

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

671 Messages

@TerriB I completely understand where you're coming from when pricing increases, I've had Xfinity Mobile since 2018 and just upgraded my line last year. I held out from changing generation plans, until I had to upgrade my phone. The feedback in regard to our "grandfathered" customers is great for me to pass along as we are always looking for ways to improve. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Problem Solver

• 

374 Messages

When I received the price increase email I decided to switch to Visible. They still had a New Year's special running for $20 (taxes & fees incl.) for 2 years with unlimited data! It's cheaper than the new Xfinity Mobile by the gig rate will be (with taxes). Mint Mobile is running a deal for $15 a month (taxes & fees incl.) which includes 5GB of data per month.

I suspect Verizon increased their MVNO fees to Xfinity. Thus the price increase. Hard pressed to find anything now that will cost less than $20-25 a month. Per line.

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

751 Messages

1 month ago

GOOD NEWS: Based on the latest disclosure statement below, it is pretty clear that XM is NOT increasing the by the gig rate for existing customers. However it is not 100% clear whether you can add by the gig lines without both the noted $25 activation fee and a change to the new $20 monthly rate?

The rate increase was effective on March 22nd, 2024, so new accounts from that date forward would not actually be charged the new $20 to a credit card until May at the earliest (one month + 20 days). 

My month just ended on the 9th, and my account shows $12 for the new month. 

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/policies/broadband-disclosures

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

897 Messages

Hi @DaveO3 Thank you for your comment on the thread regarding by the gig. You have provided great information. Here is also a link that is regarding by the gig. Please check out How does By the Gig work?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

16 Messages

@DaveO3​ 

Mine went from $12 to $20. Really irritating about this and irritated how difficult it is to get a straight answer from Xfinity. Will begin my search for a new carrier.

Contributor

• 

73 Messages

1 month ago

Thank you, Dave03.    It would have been nice if the email I received from Xfinity two weeks ago clarified if my account were grandfathered.    (see attached excerpt)

Based on that email and info from someone at the call center, my conclusion was that I indeed would be paying more after May.  I sent a complaint letter but have not heard back.

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

@BobbySevenSevenSeven​ I don't believe that what Dave said was accurate based on what Xfinity Rep said on here and what you heard from the call center. Dave used another effective date.  The one we got in the email was May 1st not March 22 so I think he is not talking about the same rate 'package' you and I have. We will know soon enough with the next billing cycle. If he is right we can clap clap clap.

FYI   This is on my  XM billing page....

By the Gig prices are increasing

Our By the Gig data options will change to $20/mo for 1 GB, $35/mo for 3 GB, $65/mo for 10 GB, and $20 per additional GB if you  go over your data usage. You’ll see this updated pricing on your first billing statement after May 1.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

73 Messages

I agree with you, TerriB.   The March 22nd date was throwing me off, too - and the emails you and I and God only knows how many other people received say the first of May, and make no mention of grandfathering, one way or the other.     That alone is somewhat bad business - as of course many Customers would wonder about it.    

But yes, I will be clapping, too - if Dave is right once the bill for May is generated!  

Fingers crossed!

Bob

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Greetings, @BobbySevenSevenSeven, and all other users. I wanted to tap in and share that as of 3-22-24; all new Xfinity Mobile Customers will be on the new 5th Gen plans, and can't change to a previous one. 

Existing customers currently on our second-generation, third-generation, or fourth-generation plans can switch to the fifth-generation plan by logging in to their account through the Xfinity app, xfinitymobile.com, or by contacting Xfinity Mobile. Current customers who switch to the fifth-generation plan will have 30 days to request to be switched back to their previous price plan.

An added benefit to the fifth-generation plans is that customers on the By the Gig fifth-generation price plan will continue to have HD (720p) streaming included making it the perfect option for customers who stream frequently away from home over their devices. I hope this info helps!

16 Messages

Just got my new bill and has increased from $12 to $20. So much for grandfathering !

16 Messages

@TerriB​ 

Mine went up. 

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

1 month ago

I just wanted to add my discontent with the change too. We've had our plan for $12 for a very long time too and the jump to $20 is a bit shocking. As for plans being "grandfathered in", this is nothing new, and has been done before. The 1 gig plan has increased from 12 to 15 before, and our plans stayed at the 12 dollar rate.. So I'm not really sure why it can't stay the same for existing customers all the same.

Official Employee

• 

700 Messages

No_Smoking We absolutely understand the desire to keep prices as low as possible, and even with the increase to $20, we do feel this is still providing great value for the by the Gig plans and maintaining that balance. 

Problem Solver

• 

751 Messages

1 month ago

Pricing is not changing for existing customers.

see my earlier post.

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

According  to the what  @XfinityAmira  posted above..........the pricing is indeed changing  for all customers.

16 Messages

@DaveO3​ 

Mine went up

Contributor

• 

73 Messages

1 month ago

Okay, so it's Wednesday at sun-up, and I just paid the April XM bill.   Across the top of my account display on my desktop computer is a banner that clearly advises of the By-The-Gig price increase for May.   As with the email, I see no asterisk or fine print mentioning people in existing plan agreements being grandfathered.

[Image Removed: "Personal Information - Full Name"]

(edited)

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

I saw the exact same banner and its been there for a few weeks.. It would not break their bank by keeping those who have had XM since the beginning at $12 . It didn't take them long to take us from the  initial offer of  $0 to get us to  take the service and then jumped it to $12.  We should have known that was just the beginning and pushed for a 'grandfather' clause. Now we are at their mercy in the same boat with all the users.

16 Messages

@TerriB​ 

It’s May and my bill went to $20

16 Messages

11 days ago

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

@user_5ltf3s​ I am so disappointed in them and angry that they are doing this to those of us who have been with Mobile since the beginning. Would not hurt their bottom line to grandfather us and would go a long way to their image. Its bad enough that the cable package goes up a lot every single year and for the package we have they can offer no promotions. The alternative packages to replace what we have does not the channels we just have to have...boo hiss.....so we are stuck all the way around . Almost $300 for the cable package with so many channels we do not want/need.

Problem Solver

• 

374 Messages

@TerriB You should consider ditching the cable and going streaming instead. That's what I did. I can't believe that people are paying $300-$350 or more a month for cable service. That is downright ridiculous!!

16 Messages

11 days ago

Contributor

• 

73 Messages

Oh, that stinks!  

Well, thank you for the heads up.    

Yesterday, I got an email with listing of Xfinity's current channels and prices, and after my coffee kicks in, will be looking to see if that holds in sorry surprises that are not grandfathered, too - as well as looking for an even cheaper package, if one exists.     I still haven't sorted out adjusting my tight budget for the higher mobile data, the full loss of the ACP benefit after this month, and a rent increase for my apartment.    I just wish an antenna on my patio would pull in more than a few channels, but the city skyscrapers a few blocks away cause interference.      

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

@BobbySevenSevenSeven​ I totally understand. We are senior citizens on fixed income and our cable is our only entertainment.  Can't afford vacations anymore and don't enjoy going to the movies  for several reasons so we wait for them to come on cable. We have same issue you do with getting over the air signals and its so frustrating. AND NOW on top of the ever increasing cable bill which is now almost $300 they  are now almost doubling the mobile service we have had since they started offering it. Would it really hurt their bottom line if they treated their long time customers better instead of giving all the goodies to the newbies. We have had their service for over 35 yrs.

16 Messages

8 days ago

Completely agree.  Really, really disappointed in Comcast. I have been a loyal customer for over 25 years. 

1 Message

8 days ago

So I just looked at our billing cycle and the new bill is at $20 per gig. We had been on the 12 plan since it started. I’m not happy.

Problem Solver

• 

751 Messages

7 days ago

I guess that we now know that the first 1GB for by the gig plans is $20 for everyone. Based on the disclosure statement, supposedly additional gigabytes will continue at the grandfathered rates per the disclosure below.

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/policies/broadband-disclosures

I just switched to Tello. 

Problem Solver

• 

374 Messages

@DaveO3 In that document link you provided it states:

• Effective March 22, 2024, By-the-Gig data will be sold in 1 GB increments at $20 per GB. New and existing customers who elect to add lines to their plan will be charged a one-time $25 per line set-up fee.

For some reason they are leaving OLD information in that disclosure. The above statement is at the bottom. There is not going to be any grandfathered anything!

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

751 Messages

The additional GB rates for the older plans do not say minimum of $12 or $15, so I think that they are grandfathered. We will not know for sure until someone goes over their first 1GB.

Contributor

• 

84 Messages

5 days ago

I have a lot of the same concerns that most have expressed here.

I have been a Comcast customer for over 40 years and switched to Xfinity Mobile in June 2017 when it was first offered here. It was great since I rarely used mobile data and I saved a lot of money over my old AT&T service. When I switched to XM I paid $0 per month for mobile data since they only charged the $12 IF you used more than 100Mb of mobile data during the billing period, which I never did. Then they did away with the first 100Mb mobile data for free and I had to pay $12 per month. Then when I switched to a new phone 2 years ago I had to switch to a 5G plan and the price went up to $15 per month. All this and I still use less than 100Mb mobile data per month! Not I will be paying $20 per month and I will still be using less than 100Mb mobile data per month.

The pricing they now charge seems to want to force people to unlimited data plans - which when you don't use that much data - WHY?

It is also apparent that they are forcing those of us who use virtually no mobile data to pay for the cost of those who do use huge amounts. Pricing for mobile data usage should be based on actual mobile data usage, not on subsidizing those who use more in 1 month than I do in 2 years.

I have NEVER streamed any video over mobile data on any mobile phone I've had and never plan to do that. At home I use Wi-Fi on the phone only and have the apps which might use large amounts of data all set to only do so over Wi-Fi, never with mobile data.

They obviously have no desire to any longer offer plans to those of us who use very low amounts of mobile data.

I understand that the cost of all services are going up, so paying more in 2024 than I was in 2017 is expected. But - if you take what I paid initially and what I will pay starting this month for service and fees, it represents a 837% increase in my bill for using 1 mobile phone and less than 100Mb mobile data per month.

But there are a lot of other providers now that offer very competitive, or even cheaper plans, than XM is offering. For the first time since I switched in 2017 I am seriously considering changing providers.

Contributor

• 

73 Messages

We are definitely in the same boat!    I well remember switching to XM back when under 100mb was free - and then being disappointed when that was done away with.    I don't like having options removed at the same time overall charges go up, and agree with your premise that perhaps we very low data users are being made to carry some of the cost of those who use huge amounts.    

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

@erm54​  You hit all the nails on the head and then some. We have never even used anything close to the 100MB of data you mentioned. Usually we use zero . It seems  those of us who are looooong time customers and  among the first to sign up for XM  are  being punished for using WIFI only even though they brag about their WIFI coverage /hotspots, etc.  They are taking away all that made us go over to XM in the first place. We should be grandfathered at $12....period. With the monthly cable bill going higher and higher its the least they could do and their bottom line would not suffer.....I am sure of that. The other thing is that no one at Comcast will see what we are posting here. They don't seem to monitor any of it let alone share our concerns with mgmt. We are also thinking strongly of going back to our previous carrier T-Mobile or maybe Consumer Cellular.

Official Employee

• 

969 Messages

Hi, @TerriB! Thank you for contacting us about the recent price adjustments to Xfinity Mobile plans. We understand that price changes can be frustrating, and we appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention. The cost of providing reliable, high-speed mobile service continues to rise due to factors like network upgrades and investments in new technologies. These investments are crucial for ensuring we can continue to deliver the best possible experience for our customers, including fast data speeds, wider coverage, etc. We know you have choices when it comes to mobile providers, and we believe Xfinity Mobile still offers a compelling value. Here are some of the benefits of staying with us:

- Seamless Integration: Enjoy the convenience of having your Xfinity Mobile service seamlessly integrated with your existing Xfinity services, making it easier to manage your bills and accounts.
- Great Network Coverage: We offer a powerful and reliable network that keeps you connected wherever you go.
- Competitive Pricing: While there have been adjustments, we remain committed to offering competitive prices on our mobile plans. Additionally, we can explore options that may better fit your individual needs.
- Valuable Features: Our plans come with various features like more than one data option to fit your household needs, over 22 million mobile hotspots, etc.

We'd be happy to review your current plan and explore options that might be a better fit for your budget and usage needs. Please feel free to contact us directly by call or text to 1-888-936-4968, using our Secure Online Chat where an Xfinity Mobile expert is available 24/7, or visit your local Xfinity store to discuss alternative plans. We appreciate your understanding!

2 Messages

9 hours ago

As I just saw the increase ($30 to $35 for 3 GB) reflected in my new bill, I added a second eSIM from a different carrier to my phone. They have 5GB of data with unlimited calls to US, Canada and Mexico for $25 month to month or $15/month with a yearly bulk payment.

So your new plan is neither in line with the market or in any way competitive.

I will keep XFinity as a backup (downgraded to 1 GB) for a month or so to see where we are reception-wise, but even that (having both) is cheaper and offers more data than XFinity.

and I have been a customer since you started and I am also using your Internet Service.

16 Messages

All we can do is try to keep the pressure on Comcast to grandfather us, as should be. Probably will have no effect. Seems we small data users are not profitable for them. 

2 Messages

They just want to simplify accounting by pushing everyone to unlimited

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here