U

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, January 31st, 2024 7:18 PM

Multimedia messages over WiFi..

As of a few months ago, we are no longer able to send or receive multimedia messages when connected via WiFi. We use Samsung Android phones.  Being cynical. Assumed it was a ploy on the part of Xfinity Mobile to push mote customers to unlimited data plans.  However, I have "heard" that multimedia messages do not do not count against your data usage.  Can anyone confirm this.

Thanks.

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

5 months ago

Hey @user_432ef3, thank you for reaching out to Xfinity Support on our forums. MMS uses the data network regardless if WiFi is connected. Are you disabling the mobile data when connecting to WiFi? It would need to be enabled to send MMS. MMS does go against your data usage but the files are less then 500kb so are very small.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@XfinityNicolas​ Thanks much for your response.  To clarify, we are unable to send or receive multimedia messages when wifi is enabled, even if mobile data is enabled.  We use wifi exclusively when we are home or at friends/relatives home.  It is much faster than mobile.  Having to constantly enable and disable wifi so that we can send/receive texts is not practical.  I have looked in settings but have not found any settings that seem associated with our problem.  Am I missing something?

Official Employee

• 

752 Messages

@user_432ef3 Investigating further, I was able to find an older post here on our forums that can hopefully clarify: https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/plan/mobile-textsmsmmsmessaging-explained/602daeffc5375f08cdfd4f9d. 

Looking over this post, it shows MMS doesn't use WiFI. So even though having your mobile data on while connecting to WiFi, since MMS use carriers network you have to be only connected to mobile data for them to work. This would make sense of why you're unable to send when connected to WiFi.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@XfinityJustinC​ Thank you for your response.  Here is another data point.  I was at a relative's house recently.  They also have Xfinity internet.  I logged onto their WiFi, with mobile data active.  I was able to send and receive messages with plain text as well as messages that included pictures and videos.  He also had a Samsung phone and we compared settings.  Our settings appeared to be identical.  Note also that my wife and I have the same model Samsung phones.   This still remains a mystery.  I did not yet check the link that you provided.  I am going to do that now.  I recently visited a Xfinity Mobile store.  The people there were not able to resolve the problem though they had heard about it and blamed Samsung for it.  

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Frank

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here